How does Gen2 alarm work?

regularsavings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 96 GTS in April and didn't think it had an alarm. At some point I sent the car to a shop for unrelated work, and when I got it back I noticed the alarm system chirping on 10-15 seconds after locking the car. It worked this way for about a month -- then at some point I had the car in another shop and got it back, and the alarm was back to not working.

Is there some secret button sequence with the key fob that enables\disables it? Or a switch somewhere? Confused as to what is going on...

Thanks!

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off, congrats on the 96. Now as for the alarm. Is your remote programmed to your car (see post above) and the remote has new batteries, right? The 96 WILL chirp a few seconds after you lock the doors/arm the system and the red light will flash on the dash. Let me make sure I am following you, when the alarm was working on your car, it did both these things right (chirp and light flash)? Now, when you got the car back this second time, you're saying the car will no longer do these two things, is that correct?

If so, check and make sure that the yellow LED lights in the interior door handles are going off after about 30 seconds. If they are NOT, it means the alarm is not arming because it thinks something is open...which means one of the door/hood/hatch sensors needs adjusting. This is the easiest solution, so hopefully it is your problem.

OP
OP
R

regularsavings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, congrats on the 96. Now as for the alarm. Is your remote programmed to your car (see post above) and the remote has new batteries, right? The 96 WILL chirp a few seconds after you lock the doors/arm the system and the red light will flash on the dash. Let me make sure I am following you, when the alarm was working on your car, it did both these things right (chirp and light flash)? Now, when you got the car back this second time, you're saying the car will no longer do these two things, is that correct?

If so, check and make sure that the yellow LED lights in the interior door handles are going off after about 30 seconds. If they are NOT, it means the alarm is not arming because it thinks something is open...which means one of the door/hood/hatch sensors needs adjusting. This is the easiest solution, so hopefully it is your problem.

I have not programmed it to the car since I purchased it, although I would assume it is programmed since it was working at one time. I have also not put in new batteries. Should I do this and go through the reprogramming steps?

During the time it was working, I did not check if the dashboard light was going on, but yes the alarm did chirp 10 seconds after locking with the fob. It no longer does this.

The yellow lights on the door handles go off within a few seconds of locking the car.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, go ahead and replace the batteries and program it. Hopefully that should work! I dunno if you had any work done that would have disconnected the car battery for a long time, but that may have done it.