" The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sales"

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

I hate to say it but seeing it for the first time last week and sitting in it, I was surprised how much it looked like the Gen2 GTS. Which I thought was great but didn't make me want to buy it. I'd almost buy my 2000 GTS again for $40k. Don't know I'm just not feeling it:(

I guess we all have different takes on the Gen V. One of the reasons I liked it was because it did resemble the Gen 2.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

The Genv is amazing. No other American car and few foreign cars have the pure star power, soul and emotion of a Viper and the GenV is the best Viper to date. The only people that don't appreciate the car are people that are entrenched fanboys of something else and a lot of those people secretly love the viper too.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Genv is amazing. No other American car and few foreign cars have the pure star power, soul and emotion of a Viper and the GenV is the best Viper to date. The only people that don't appreciate the car are people that are entrenched fanboys of something else and a lot of those people secretly love the viper too.

totally. and as for the critics...remember when they said when a boy teases a girl its not because he hates her but the opposite in elementary school? well......

so even on here when people are criticizing this or that I think jeez then why do they keep returning here, and posting....daily. clearly they like it, want it & wish they had it.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess we all have different takes on the Gen V. One of the reasons I liked it was because it did resemble the Gen 2.

totally agree. I thought it looked like a Gen II on steroids which is why I loved it!

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with what you are saying. But price is not enough to deter me. Especially when GTS are now going for 10k off. I think if the SRT started around 70s-80s and the GTS started at 100 and was max 130 it would be a lot better. But this is more due to their inefficient production techniques more than them trying to be greedy so I understand why the price is higher especially when compared to say a zr1.

where did u see lists on GTS models with $10k off? With the exception of two or three dealers that charge MSRP I've only seen very large premiums over sticker on these.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying. But price is not enough to deter me. Especially when GTS are now going for 10k off. I think if the SRT started around 70s-80s and the GTS started at 100 and was max 130 it would be a lot better. But this is more due to their inefficient production techniques more than them trying to be greedy so I understand why the price is higher especially when compared to say a zr1.

where did u see lists on GTS models with $10k off? With the exception of two or three dealers that charge MSRP I've only seen very large premiums over sticker on these.

I'd like to see one of these unicorns too. Everyone is talking about the $10k off power buy but no one has joined saying that's what they paid.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I read ALL the posts here, and have to say that EVERYONE who posted is truly correct..... because multiple factors come in to play...

I know that for me one of the stigmas that will not go away is the fact that the gen 5 was not huge a leap in technology.

Personally, there is not cutting edge technology that the gen 5 Viper has that NO other sports car has.

Nissan Gtr also has slow sales, but I believe that although it has great technology, the styling is just to bland.

The gen 5 Viper has nothing new technology wise to offer to owners of previous model Vipers.

The new Corvette has cylinder deactivation, aluminum frame, active magnetic shocks ( that have been around for a while) and some other newly introduced features including carbon fiber panels on a sub $60G car.

Porsche is also moving up the technology with their new cars.

It just seems to me that the Gen 5, although to my eye gorgeous, does not bring any new cutting edge technology forward with the new model.

I know everyone here will curse me but with a stick and no paddles, it is just old school. It so 1990.

and I know that the Viper is supposed to be old school to a great extent and that satisfies the ********* enthusiast BUT the crossover buyers want new cutting edge technology that this car is lacking,

Viper guys know and may prefer a manual transmission and they understand and like/prefer the raw nature of the car, but I do not think the crossover buyer feels that it is a great selling point or something that they look for or desire in a sports car. IMO, crossover buyers are attracted by ne technology that performs.

Then add to that the high price point and the fact that other cars in the same price point have more advanced tech.

Then multiply that by a crappy economy and I think that sales may possibly continue to be weak (????)

I understand that the sky is not falling yet, but If the enthusiast Viper guys/gals did not buy every 2013 made then I believe SRT is expecting crossover buyers to buy the remaining cars and that is where I believe SRT may have trouble in the future.

But on the bright side, everyone that has a 2013 or will have a gen5 will know that less sales makes their cars hold their value better over time. (even though paying sticker and now seeing discounting occurring is only a short term hit long term values stay higher as production and sales go south )

I think that the gen 5 is a great and cool car. The Viper community was blessed to have it produced and owners will enjoy their cars, but at the expense of the SRT financials, and may have SRT accountants and marketing people eating crow. Who cares if it is a money loser for SRT as long as the end consumer/buyer/owner enjoys the car.... even if no other cross over buyers wanted to buy the gen5.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll add another spin to this mix.

Used car market. Never before has there been such a huge used car market that is saturated with "dream cars" priced on a budget. In the last 10 years, it seems you have a variety of cars out there with 500+ hp ratings, and many of them have pretty awful depreciation (AMG). This means the new cars are also competing with very fun and fast used cars, as well. Even used Vipers are easily found, and reasonably priced. I know several exotic owners here in Houston, but can count on one hand the guys that purchased their cars brand new. Most of them are buying 2-3 yr old cars for a much reduced price. So, the Viper or any other new car aren't just competing for new car dollars. Some people will go buy those used Gallardos and F430s for the same price range. And there are a LOT of those on the used market.

All in all, this is the best time ever to be a car enthusiast. We are spoiled by the sheer amount of options we have available. In the past, 500 hp was so rare. Now we have station wagons making more than that.

Tony

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FWIS, 2200 cars a year, steady, is enough to fund further development. However, as a halo car, the basic nature of the Viper changes due to the T in SRT. If the Viper represents the Technology of SRT then the Viper changes from a basic sports car, a sort of modern day Cobra, to a leadning edge technology car. I would like to see that technology performance oriented, but the rest of the car must be sufficiently current to satisfy today's culture. Using the Cobra as an example of what not to do, when the production switched to the Mustang models there were lots of 427 roadsters left unsold. The lead model Viper needs to remain V10 but there's nothing wrong with introducing a second model, perhaps V8 or even turbo V6 under the Viper name. Ferrari produces both V12s and V8s with no problem to the name. Then, if the R means racing, Viper needs to be a major player in the ALMS series or what ever follows after.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just like every other car made. The hoopla will be over soon. SRT marketed the car like ****, and didnt help themselves by screwing people who are still waiting on orders. And this no test drive policy is a joke. Ya here is a 100k, ill drive it when i sign the check. Sorry thats a joke in my eyes. Thats like buying a house from the outside. Have a clue.....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The lead model Viper needs to remain V10 but there's nothing wrong with introducing a second model, perhaps V8 or even turbo V6 under the Viper name.

Couldn't disagree more.
Watering down the name with lesser performance models is not only pathetically desperate but would be the death of the marquee.
Do you really think introducing a lesser performance lookalike would help sell 140K Vipers?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Local dealer had a $50,000 ADM in May.

Now they have $7k off MSRP for their $135k GTS.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just like every other car made. The hoopla will be over soon. SRT marketed the car like ****, and didnt help themselves by screwing people who are still waiting on orders. And this no test drive policy is a joke. Ya here is a 100k, ill drive it when i sign the check. Sorry thats a joke in my eyes. Thats like buying a house from the outside. Have a clue.....

There really is no reason for those that ordered to have waited this long. It really is a black eye on SRT for custom (sold) orders to not be first in line.

Cars on the street would have been the best form of advertisement there is.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No baby viper!! I'd sell my car in a NY second! And I planned on getting the gallardo successor but if the build the urus, I might not.

Nine Ball is on point with CPO exotics. It's a big factor. I sold my gallardo spyder at the end of last season for around the price of a new fully optioned GTS and it was a 2007 model. There are many variables like this. Plus, don't forget how u can purchase a warranty on a pre owned exotic up to five years old....

But as for new cars, this is one of the hottest new supercars out this year.

As for tech id say it has way more than ill ever use. Didnt even read the unconnect stuff. I actually liked going backwards from paddles to a manual shifter for a change, but I'm probably in the minority of cross over consumers on that. I think it's ridiculous how you can run the new vette on 4 cylinders in Eco mode. I want my V10 to get 11 mpg and to run on all ten cylinders

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Woah. Any idea what their invoice was?

My guess has been 120-125k right along

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GenV is full of carbon fiber and a 640hp Viper weighs more than 100lbs less than a 460hp C7. Most prefer manual shifting.

I read ALL the posts here, and have to say that EVERYONE who posted is truly correct..... because multiple factors come in to play...

I know that for me one of the stigmas that will not go away is the fact that the gen 5 was not huge a leap in technology.

Personally, there is not cutting edge technology that the gen 5 Viper has that NO other sports car has.

Nissan Gtr also has slow sales, but I believe that although it has great technology, the styling is just to bland.

The gen 5 Viper has nothing new technology wise to offer to owners of previous model Vipers.

The new Corvette has cylinder deactivation, aluminum frame, active magnetic shocks ( that have been around for a while) and some other newly introduced features including carbon fiber panels on a sub $60G car.

Porsche is also moving up the technology with their new cars.

It just seems to me that the Gen 5, although to my eye gorgeous, does not bring any new cutting edge technology forward with the new model.

I know everyone here will curse me but with a stick and no paddles, it is just old school. It so 1990.

and I know that the Viper is supposed to be old school to a great extent and that satisfies the ********* enthusiast BUT the crossover buyers want new cutting edge technology that this car is lacking,

Viper guys know and may prefer a manual transmission and they understand and like/prefer the raw nature of the car, but I do not think the crossover buyer feels that it is a great selling point or something that they look for or desire in a sports car. IMO, crossover buyers are attracted by ne technology that performs.

Then add to that the high price point and the fact that other cars in the same price point have more advanced tech.

Then multiply that by a crappy economy and I think that sales may possibly continue to be weak (????)

I understand that the sky is not falling yet, but If the enthusiast Viper guys/gals did not buy every 2013 made then I believe SRT is expecting crossover buyers to buy the remaining cars and that is where I believe SRT may have trouble in the future.

But on the bright side, everyone that has a 2013 or will have a gen5 will know that less sales makes their cars hold their value better over time. (even though paying sticker and now seeing discounting occurring is only a short term hit long term values stay higher as production and sales go south )

I think that the gen 5 is a great and cool car. The Viper community was blessed to have it produced and owners will enjoy their cars, but at the expense of the SRT financials, and may have SRT accountants and marketing people eating crow. Who cares if it is a money loser for SRT as long as the end consumer/buyer/owner enjoys the car.... even if no other cross over buyers wanted to buy the gen5.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They might have actually sold it for MSRP if they had an early one in May. Greed kicked their ass here, they deserve to lose another $7K. Now buyers can pick from a few sitting on lots.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They might have actually sold it for MSRP if they had an early one in May. Greed kicked their ass here, they deserve to lose another $7K. Now buyers can pick from a few sitting on lots.

Even better, I had stopped in there back in Sept and put my name down to order. They never followed up when pricing was released so I put a deposit down with Bernie.

They never even called in November when order banks were open either (Not like I would have ordered after putting cash down with Bernie).

So, they had someone who would have paid MSRP and I guess figured they could make more ordering and then selling.

Serves them right!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Woah. Any idea what their invoice was?

My guess has been 120-125k right along

IIRC, there was about a $7500 spread on my GTS which stickers for $131k. There are plenty of near-invoice or at-invoice deals out there, you just have to look; they are not imaginary as someone implied earlier in this thread.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They probably don't mind sitting on it, it's a eye catcher in the showroom amongst the Darts.
It'll sell and they'll make some money on it.
It's funny how with new introductions like this people think a dealer selling at MSRP is doing them this huge favor.
Dealers only have a small window of time to do this and it's run out, everybody wants discounted prices already.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The first sub $100k GenV is out there now. It's used and has 185 miles on it and nobody jumped on it yet.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

woah. and we thought they were a dime a dozen before........

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Re: Gen 5 Styling
The curvy and well-proportioned Gen 2 was probably the best looking viper besides the Gen 5. SRT got it right. It's a **** car that will turn heads and drop jaws anywhere it goes. Gen 3 and 4 styling was ok, but not what a viper should look like. Not curvy enough; too rigid and linear. The fact that the Gen 5 can look so similar to a Gen 2 and still draw as much attention as it does is a pure testament to its timeless styling. When you get the aesthetics right, the car never looks "old" because it always looks "cool", even decades later.

Water down the Vette lineup even more. Here's the proposed more affordable Corvette.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-corvette-coupe.html#

They're making another sedan called the SS, according to Chevy's website, which makes me wonder why they want a 5.3L vette when the obvious "step" should be the Camaro. Not sure what their plan is with their product lineup, other than watering down popular brands by offering them in too many trim levels. GM seems to be suffering from a major lack of direction/leadership.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Gen 4 ACR is the best looking, baddest and most feared and respected Viper ever made.
Period.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

True but wait until the V ACR u might change yer mind

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah. I think they should have made their Firepower the genV viper but that's me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32