" The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sales"

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

First of the year,the 13s will be easy to get at 10 under.The dealers will be freaking out with the 14s are coming and all the 13 s sitting their for months. By then those new Corvettes will also draw tons of attention...

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: " The new Viper is exotic and curvy, but the glory days are gone at least by sale

Enlighten us further.

Were you born in the mid 1990's btw?

No I wasn't. Before then. And I am talking about the new viper only not the old ones. There is nothing to hate about the new one like there was about the old ones. Their are just minor annoyances.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

New corvette is an abomination and failure all around, this is coming from a current C6 owner (on my 3rd C6 right now). I'll drive a Subaru before this thing.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First of the year,the 13s will be easy to get at 10 under.The dealers will be freaking out with the 14s are coming and all the 13 s sitting their for months. By then those new Corvettes will also draw tons of attention...
Hold your breath. New corvette will lose all attention as soon as it hits the streets, just like it always does.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

New corvette is an abomination and failure all around, this is coming from a current C6 owner (on my 3rd C6 right now). I'll drive a Subaru before this thing.

All the C6 owners hate it. It's new, fresh, modern and dropped the C6 values in the toilet.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All the C6 owners hate it. It's new, fresh, modern and dropped the C6 values in the toilet.

No not all... Many but not all. More than half of the C7 sales will be to C6 owners.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I like the new 'Vette. Even the BASE car essentially matches the performance numbers of my Gen 3. I love my Viper, and all Vipers, but if I had only $60,000 to spend on a NEW performance car at the moment, the C7 would be my choice.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And you would have that extra money for the ski mask to wear over your head so no one noticed you driving that dog's breakfast of styling cue rip offs, called the new C7. Guess we will see what it sells like. I could be wrong but I don't think it will sell as good as past models comparatively speaking.

Even though it is not apple to apples, some of those potential owners are probably waiting for the all new Mustang in April 1st, 2014 as well. I mean if that car has the right styling and still has the option for the 660+HP SVT motor with the IRS it will be pretty attractive. Four seats or not, Ford versus Chevy or not, it just may appeal to a lot more new owners. This new vette is just not a good looking car. Cool for the moment, but not one most can see living with for a very long time. It's a fling car for brief satsisfaction!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And you would have that extra money for the ski mask to wear over your head so no one noticed you driving that dog's breakfast of styling cue rip offs, called the new C7.

Yeah 'cause the Gen 5 didn't take any styling cues from prevous years or other models, it was shockingly innovative and original.
Said no one.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And you would have that extra money for the ski mask to wear over your head so no one noticed you driving that dog's breakfast of styling cue rip offs, called the new C7. Guess we will see what it sells like. I could be wrong but I don't think it will sell as good as past models comparatively speaking.

Even though it is not apple to apples, some of those potential owners are probably waiting for the all new Mustang in April 1st, 2014 as well. I mean if that car has the right styling and still has the option for the 660+HP SVT motor with the IRS it will be pretty attractive. Four seats or not, Ford versus Chevy or not, it just may appeal to a lot more new owners. This new vette is just not a good looking car. Cool for the moment, but not one most can see living with for a very long time. It's a fling car for brief satsisfaction!
You won't see HiPo pony in the S550 until 2 yrs, so there's quite a wait for that one, and the current 5.8 with the TVS on top we have in our '14 GT500s won't fit in the S550, as an SVT engineer said at a sidebar talk, if you like 660+hp I'd recommend buying a '14 now. So many of us did. Guesses are we'll eventually see a turbo considering the more limited engine space/height, but it's a while out and no more Shelby, although SVT it forever. As for the C7 we'll see. I like it better than prev vettes, but I've never been a fan of its style, only its perf, so ..

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Uhm, BS. It should have been considerably better and lighter. You may want to learn how to distinguish hate from disappointment.

Plain and simple- I would not touch it even if I still had the C5. Too many gizmos and nannies and busy styling worthy of a rice rocket, not to mention ability to run on skinny tires and four cylinders. Values of corvettes do not exist with or without this new **** called C7, I already learned that part from buying a brand new Z06.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

agreed:2tu: They made a porker instead of a sports car and now brag about fuel economy running on all four to compensate for extra weight. LOL at E85 fiasco too...

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah 'cause the Gen 5 didn't take any styling cues from prevous years or other models, it was shockingly innovative and original.
Said no one.
Why change a good thing too much? Not like Porsche changed 911 all that much since the 60s. :rolleyes:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well not saying the GEN V is an innovative design. It absolutely calls upon it's heritage hard for the styling. There is a huge difference when you pull styling cues from the models previous heritage and when you just rip off a best of, off all the other manufacturers out there. One is respect for your brand, the other is plagerism. C7 might was well have been designed in China as styling was reverse engineered from everyone else out there RIGHT NOW. Yes the original 92' Viper pulled from Cunningham, Cobra, etc. in earlier years but that was pulling from cars decades before and did not see direct styling rips offs in 100% manner as the other manufacturer had it. The Coupe is closest to the Cobra Daytona but side by side, they are quite different.

Upcoming Mustang will have drivetrain space constraints. Ageed! I guess I was referring to just an SVT'd motor with as much or more power than the existing 5.8L not the 5.8L motor persay. Knew that one would not fit based upon what I have heard as well talking to Ford Engineers at the Round-Up in Washington recently. Current Mustang styling is pretty long in the tooth as it has been out many years now. New Mustang will be interesting. Glad they are going back to SVT and dropping the Shelby name. Thought they did a great job building it up under Coletti as SVT. The change to Shelby signaled his departure. Personally I thought they should have told ole Shel to pound sand and take his name with him instead of bring him back and promote it but whatever. Coletti did more for Ford in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. Felt sorry for him!

Point is the new Mustang could be a player, guess we will wait and see. There is always Steve Saleen if he can pull his socks up and make a go of it again. All future stuff but other than the Mustang IIs, at least the styling has been fairly consistent and easy on the eyes. The new C7; just can't make a connection with it. Zero emotion and desire! Saw one in person recently at Vettes on the Rockies and unfortunately it did not get better. A Viper it is not. **** it is not.

Last edited:

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This isn't 1992 anymore where 100 extra HP meant you crushed everyone else. HP isn't the be all end all in 2013.

Gents

I agree with Harold's earlier point: horsepower wasn't the main point behind developing the new Viper. Instead, the new Viper was all about providing a 640 bhp, balanced American Supercar, which mere mortals would be able to drive on a race track. Fast.

Yes, there are competing AWD turbo cars out there which can beat a Viper in some acceleration runs. It is not hard to run out of grip in a Viper with 640bhp / 600 lb-ft torque powering only 2 355mm wide tires. But are these competing AWD cars as much fun?...

I've driven AWD Porsche Turbos in anger, and these are well-engineered, great cars. But they don't put a total grin on my face like driving a Viper does. It is not easy to explain, but once you experience it at length, you can understand it. The Viper, like the ancestoral Cobra's that inspired it, is a total hoot to drive. It just brings a smile to your face, where many other 'supercars' fail.

This business is about more than Engineering stats. It's about building cars that make you smile. Thanks for listening...

former345bhpLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Uhm, BS. It should have been considerably better and lighter. You may want to learn how to distinguish hate from disappointment.

Plain and simple- I would not touch it even if I still had the C5. Too many gizmos and nannies and busy styling worthy of a rice rocket, not to mention ability to run on skinny tires and four cylinders. Values of corvettes do not exist with or without this new **** called C7, I already learned that part from buying a brand new Z06.

Uhh...doesn't it ride on the same tires a the base C6, just with a higher diameter? No to mention MUCH better lateral grip, it matches the Z06 and ZR1 on cup tires while riding on ZP supersports.

Can't call it an abomination till you drive it. It has electric steering, but better steering feel than the C6 (per all the reviews) which says a lot about the current steering in the C6. It's heavier, but with better breaking, acceleration, and grip.

Plus, corvettes are shackled with CAFE requirements because they try to sell a bunch of them. The next Z06 and/or ZR1 will probably not be so effected.

True, it has lots of gizmos, but essentially all of them are currently available on the C6 except for the TFT display which is not a gizmo per se. It's now about as common as an LED or a power cord given that every phone uses it, nearly every new car, etc.

My hope is that they finally last and don't have the same usable life as a carton of milk. Past corvettes are really prone to "fall-apart" (technical GM terminology).

It creates a real quandary for the Corvette buyer - 1. Buy new and suffer massive depreciation over just a few years. 2. Buy used and deal with replacing every component of the car over 5-7 years due to "fall-apart".

The bright side is if you decide to buy one (realizing that it is not an abomination), may be you will only have to buy one car instead of three over the same period!

Plus, it might still be an abomination AND the best corvette to date - they are not mutually exclusive (even though I like Corvettes).

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

losing 50% in 20 months in value sure sounds like an American concept too!! Will they be signed by nobama? LOL

on the plus side they seem to hit a wall; my 07 C6 vert was 65k new in the showroom and was only worth 35k on trade 20 months later but its still worth about 30k today so I guess it seems to level off after a while.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gents

I agree with Harold's earlier point: horsepower wasn't the main point behind developing the new Viper. Instead, the new Viper was all about providing a 640 bhp, balanced American Supercar, which mere mortals would be able to drive on a race track. Fast.

Yes, there are competing AWD turbo cars out there which can beat a Viper in some acceleration runs. It is not hard to run out of grip in a Viper with 640bhp / 600 lb-ft torque powering only 2 355mm wide tires. But are these competing AWD cars as much fun?...

I've driven AWD Porsche Turbos in anger, and these are well-engineered, great cars. But they don't put a total grin on my face like driving a Viper does. It is not easy to explain, but once you experience it at length, you can understand it. The Viper, like the ancestoral Cobra's that inspired it, is a total hoot to drive. It just brings a smile to your face, where many other 'supercars' fail.

This business is about more than Engineering stats. It's about building cars that make you smile. Thanks for listening...

The Viper should not be an appliance, I will give you that, but I think the mission of the car needs to be defined more clearly in an era of McLarens, Nissan GT-Rs and C7+ Corvettes, as well as Porsches.

It may be a ridiculous point, but in 2013, 640hp isn't clearly a Supercar anymore...simply because ZL1s and GT500 pony cars are putting out similar if not more power than the Gen V Viper. It totally is a law of diminishing returns, but Viper owners are accustomed to MORE when it comes to power.

How much power does a Viper owner need? Does that question really need to be asked? No one *needs* more than 300hp from a car, so putting that point in front of the Viper's mission really is looking the gift horse in the mouth.

I think the Gen V is a very good car, in many ways a "real" car now with the proper amenities to catch up to the modern expectations of what any sports car should provide. It's time to make the Viper a Supercar again by putting its performance on top the podium again, leading again with horsepower (even if it isn't the most 'sensible' thing to do with CARB/emission/CAFE standards etc.)

I hate to be simplistic and say that the Viper's problems would be cured by adding more power, but crushing the competition is always a good start.

If there is a mission statement for the Viper (of all gens) I think it should be this:
http://youtu.be/6PQ6335puOc?t=10s

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That is great! Another of Arnold's famous movie quotes (and he has several) but it really does apply in this case!

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, when I sometimes lose my way in life I find it is best to draw wisdom from an over the hill body builder, who bankrupted an entire state while sleeping with his maid who fathered his child and disgraced his family. Some of his greatest wisdom comes when he wears a bad wig speaking with a badd accent and wearing a 1980's Halloween costume :lmao:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, when I sometimes lose my way in life I find it is best to draw wisdom from an over the hill body builder, who bankrupted an entire state while sleeping with his maid who fathered his child and disgraced his family. Some of his greatest wisdom comes when he wears a bad wig speaking with a badd accent and wearing a 1980's Halloween costume :lmao:

C'mon, aren't those all of the things we love about the Viper? It's a rebel, a brute, a scoundrel, it takes what it wants and does not apologize. LOL!

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

C'mon, aren't those all of the things we love about the Viper? It's a rebel, a brute, a scoundrel, it takes what it wants and does not apologize. LOL!

Yep.. Barbarian with wheels...:D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the glory days are gone, someone forgot to tell the guys at Road Atlanta today : >)

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, when I sometimes lose my way in life I find it is best to draw wisdom from an over the hill body builder, who bankrupted an entire state while sleeping with his maid who fathered his child and disgraced his family. Some of his greatest wisdom comes when he wears a bad wig speaking with a badd accent and wearing a 1980's Halloween costume :lmao:[/QUOTE

I actually like Arnold, besides I believe he is one of the few people who could beat up batman.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, when I sometimes lose my way in life I find it is best to draw wisdom from an over the hill body builder, who bankrupted an entire state while sleeping with his maid who fathered his child and disgraced his family. Some of his greatest wisdom comes when he wears a bad wig speaking with a badd accent and wearing a 1980's Halloween costume :lmao:[/QUOTE

I actually like Arnold, besides I believe he is one of the few people who could beat up batman.

Superman could not beat up Batman.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like him or not... If anybody's glory days are gone it's Arnold:dunno:

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like him or not... If anybody's glory days are gone it's Arnold:dunno:

have you seen the pics of him on the beach ? YUCK.... his arms look like two flat tires !! what happens when you quit the roids.

BUT, I am wondering if Viper's glory days are also gone.... that the real question !!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

have you seen the pics of him on the beach ? YUCK.... his arms look like two flat tires !! what happens when you quit the roids.

BUT, I am wondering if Viper's glory days are also gone.... that the real question
!!

Only to those that like to complain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456