2013 Dodge SRT Viper: A Speed Demon With Too Much Engine

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a whole lot of words to not say much of anything.

I am quite happy with my useless UPS V10 engine. It sings wonderfully.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wall Street Journal:dunno:

Dan Neil of WSJ seemed to whine about how a V8 would be better but didn't really attempt to say why. In fact if you watch the video clip in the other tab he makes a good case for why they should keep it. Not so bad considering the source:dunno:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO it wasn't as bad as I thought. It was veiled praise if you read between the lines. He praised the handling, interior refinement, pedal placement, rigidity, steering feel, acceleration, horsepower and torque etc. All he really ranted about negatively was the claustrophobic interior, music being drowned out by the engine noise and the V10 of which the latter makes absolutely no sense. Nothing else NA puts out this kind of torque and hp bonestock so how would this be better with a V8???? That's what the Corvette is for if you want a V8 with big power but it wont be 640hp and 600tq and be pump gas and emissions legal like the Vipers V10 is bonestock. Ive seen worse reviews.

Raisin Man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan's core competency lies in reviewing Ford Foci, VW Beetles and the interminable number of kitchen appliances disguised as electric vehicles. It's a shiney and happy place. He should stay there.

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The man doesn't have a clue. As an owner of a gen 2 rt10 and gen 4 acr both with rear end, shock, headers the cars just rock. The driver experience is exactly what I'm in the cars for. The motor is the center of the car you are in control its the first ride on the roller coaster every time. Every and I do mean everyone that I've taken for rides can't shut up after their ride . The acr is a complete dominator like its on rails. The smiles and talk after their ride is and has always been the same reason for me loving the cars,DRIVER EXPERIENCE . As soon as the gen v acr comes out my purchase is made. This tool has small you know what and misses the whole point of the moto pure DickHEA....

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive a Prius to work every day...and have averaged 70.5 MPG for the past 15,000 miles and thats why I drive it....Dont degrade a Prius as its is good as it is designed to be efficient. Its disrespected Just like the Viper because its good for what it is " a cost effective fuel efficient car if you drive it properly" ..and the Viper is disrespected in the opposite vane and misunderstood, marginalized, and profiled, even though its a raw,bad ass, not to please everyone, Bastard Child of an American super car with no care to please everyone..Thats what the corvette and Prosches are for..

Just because someone drives a Prius doesnt mean thats who they are or thats the only car they own...

Some people just don't get it.

I guarantee the author of that article drives a Prius.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive a Prius to work every day...and have averaged 70.5 MPG for the past 15,000 miles and thats why I drive it....Dont degrade a Prius as its is good as it is designed to be efficient. Its disrespected Just like the Viper because its good for what it is " a cost effective fuel efficient car if you drive it properly" ..and the Viper is disrespected in the opposite vane and misunderstood, marginalized, and profiled, even though its a raw,bad ass, not to please everyone, Bastard Child of an American super car with no care to please everyone..Thats what the corvette and Prosches are for..

Just because someone drives a Prius doesnt mean thats who they are or thats the only car they own...

They vast majority of Ptius drivers I have encountered are self-important, self-righteous tools who look down their noses at those who enjoy burning dead dinosaurs for recreational purposes. If that isn't you,then good on ya, but you are in the minority.

By the way, you have to drive your Prius 144k miles to save enough gas to make up the cost increase over a Yaris...

http://dannagle.com/2012/10/dont-buy-a-prius-to-save-money-on-gas/

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny article.... Agricultiral gear shift linkage? LOL Apparently he has never driven a Lambo with the famed gated shifter. But more importantly, the fact that he listens to Elton John's, Levon? Pretty much has ***** waste written all over it... So yes, Dan, the Viper with its beastly V10 and F-note exhaust may be a bit much for you right now. So in the meantime, better stick to your Prius until you're ready to trade in your Victoria's underpants for some boxers.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wimpy Street ****** -- where I always go for Automotive information, and of course when I need Financial Advice I pick up a current issue of Cur and Drivel !!

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
policy limits say ralphy thinks of the viper as a flagship of the brand agreed but not as a profit car? ok why then all the stupid price adjustments in 2014 and all the pricey options? I always wanted a gen V since April 2014 but now seeing the treatment for us just had me have second thoughts about going with an older gen. I'm still seing plenty of Vipers on lots and nobody wants them because of the random options and the fact that it is still way pricey.
it's all been stupid enough

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I blame the OP for linking that post. Probably the biggest waste of my time since Obizzles State of the Union address.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually that article is quite complimentary to the Viper. The whole gist of the article maintains the Gen5 has maintained its raw visceral feel of the previous generations even with all the "improvements". As far as the writer liking Elton Johns Levon...I don't think so, as he compares listening to the drone as listening to the song over and over. Personally I love the drone and never turn on the radio (never understood radios on Motorcycles or windshields for that matter but that's a whole other discussion) As a former DJ I like Elton John so feel free to flame away :)

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the Yaris is too small and doesn't fit my needs ( and is uglier than the prius if thats possible) ...and at 70.5 MPG + i the prius the math is different for me...besides , I didnt quantify my purchase based on how better the Yaris is or could be on gas..... The Prius is surprisingly big inside and Im 6'4" and my two dauggters are 6' and with my wife we all fit very comfortably...But NOT in the Yaris...my friend has one we drove before I bought the yaris..and you couldnt give me one of those cars..even with free gas.....

so with all factors taken into consideration the Prius was the ONLY choice ergonomically and economically. so again I disagree with your point...its not as accurate as you think just because of a story...

They vast majority of Ptius drivers I have encountered are self-important, self-righteous tools who look down their noses at those who enjoy burning dead dinosaurs for recreational purposes. If that isn't you,then good on ya, but you are in the minority.

By the way, you have to drive your Prius 144k miles to save enough gas to make up the cost increase over a Yaris...

http://dannagle.com/2012/10/dont-buy-a-prius-to-save-money-on-gas/

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the world just stopped spinning. Someone that owns a Prius and a Viper? I applaud the technology of the Prius, but I can't enjoy the symbolic nature of it being the anti-enthusiast poster child. It is the exact opposite on the spectrum of cars from the Viper.

That being said, please get some good photos of them parked next to each other. You might be the first and only?

Tony

hawkeye

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan Neil isn't a terrible journo, and the article was sort of an odd mixed take on the car.

That said, mark my words, the day your mainstream journos proclaim that a Viper is an excellent car, is the day it is all over. If you look at the (disturbing) trends in the high-end car market, 8 electronic comfort settings, variable ratio electronic steering, dual clutch gearboxes, all-wheel-drive with e-diff, self-park, lane departure, emergency automated braking, blah blah blah. Journos generally want to have their cake and eat it too, and what you end up with is a car like the MP12-4C, where the numbers are astonishing but you literally aren't even directly connected to the road anymore...

Team Viper should look at themselves as the insane American version of Lotus, where the exception to adding lightness is allowed for "adding displacement". Make the car entertaining and challenging to drive, and keep the rawness factor quite high so that you feel like it is alive and you are in a hopefully symbiotic relationship with the car, where you feel you need each other to get the job done right...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Team Viper should look at themselves as the insane American version of Lotus, where the exception to adding lightness is allowed for "adding displacement". Make the car entertaining and challenging to drive, and keep the rawness factor quite high so that you feel like it is alive and you are in a hopefully symbiotic relationship with the car, where you feel you need each other to get the job done right...

That's is an excellent analogy:2tu:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the world just stopped spinning. Someone that owns a Prius and a Viper? I applaud the technology of the Prius, but I can't enjoy the symbolic nature of it being the anti-enthusiast poster child. It is the exact opposite on the spectrum of cars from the Viper.

That being said, please get some good photos of them parked next to each other. You might be the first and only?

Tony
I am looking at a Prius, Volt, and whatever stupid hatchback Lexus has!

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw a Tesla this evening here in Austin... Kind of cool, first one I've seen in person... Prius.. or Tesla? Hmmmm...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave