K&N filter question..

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in 1999 I added smooth intake hoses and K&N filters..The question is, on a 9 K mile car should I clean or replace the K&N filters? Would the dust from just sitting all these years settle on then even with the hood down and affect air flow? The car is garage kept.

I have never cleaned the air filters since new. The Viper is an 1994 RT 10..

Also any other better air filters for the job?

Thanks Arthur

Last edited:

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
???? not sure why u would replace k&n filters since they have a million mile warranty, they are very easy to clean, would be good to check them in case any of the sticky oil has migrated down, but since u have to open the air box to look anyway then u may as well just clean them and re-oil, just be careful not to over oil them as that goop can get sucked into the intake, if ur car has just been sitting for a few years then the filters are probably the least of ur problems(rubber,seals,exhaust,tires,etc)

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't imagine dust getting into the filters in a garage. There is a K&N Filter Kit you can buy for cleaning and relubing, but I really doubt you need to.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The filters will last forever but a good cleaning might be in order. KN has a spray cleaner after you remove the filters of course. Simply spray on, rinse well with a hose, then let dry. Apply the KN oil VERY lightly just to cover the filter area on the outside only. I prefer the spray oil over the bottle type for easy and light coverage. The cleaner and oil sells as a kit too. Filters do not get dirty with car just sitting there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh