A/C out after A/C "fix"

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if its not one thing it's another...
About 3 weeks ago I had all 4 seals changed on the compressor the "$4 fix"
It blew ice almost literally.... Tuesday I limped the car due to the clutch to the shop to get fixed. Got it back and it blows hot. Not even cool like it could be leaking freon.

Is there anything I can check before I schedule an appointment to bring it back???

>shaking my head<. After about 2k in costs. I just want to drive it!!!!!!!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get the dye put in the Freon? Can you see any signs of a leak? any loose bolts? Did the filler valve close properly?

When the garage refilled my system, as they removed the filler line the small valve did not close properly and I lost a bit of Freon until they managed to flick the valve a few times to get it to seat correctly? Because of this they did not charge me for the refill, its still working fine a year down the line :)

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get the dye put in the Freon? Can you see any signs of a leak? any loose bolts? Did the filler valve close properly?

When the garage refilled my system, as they removed the filler line the small valve did not close properly and I lost a bit of Freon until they managed to flick the valve a few times to get it to seat correctly? Because of this they did not charge me for the refill, its still working fine a year down the line :)

I dont see any leaks and I dont see any loose bolts. I'd hope they recharge it for free, i've given this shop a LOT of business. I was hoping it is something stupid like a fuse or switch.. but I know that's unlikely.

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same a couple of weeks ago, and leak was not there, replaced gaskets on accumulator too and retightened aluminum line connection nuts using leak lock, so far so goo....accumulator is on passenger side of car, also replaced schraeder stems on refrigerant access ports, good luck

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if its not one thing it's another...
About 3 weeks ago I had all 4 seals changed on the compressor the "$4 fix"
It blew ice almost literally....

Did they diagnose that the O-rings were the cause of the leak? Or did you just say, replace the O-rings, recharge it and we'll see if it leaks any more? If so, then your O-ring fix didn't address the source of the leak. It worked until the freon leaked out enough so that the low pressure switch now prevents the compressor from running. If the shop troubleshot it and misdiagnosed, then they should only charge you for the time it takes to fix the actual leak.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they diagnose that the O-rings were the cause of the leak? Or did you just say, replace the O-rings, recharge it and we'll see if it leaks any more? If so, then your O-ring fix didn't address the source of the leak. It worked until the freon leaked out enough so that the low pressure switch now prevents the compressor from running. If the shop troubleshot it and misdiagnosed, then they should only charge you for the time it takes to fix the actual leak.

Well I suggested that it could be the rings. Dye was added and the rings leaked according to them, they were replaced and it was recharged.
I've given these guys a lot of business so I hope they're going to work with me

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What did they do to the clutch
Also check and see if the Ac clutch is coming on look for bubbles in the sight glass on the dryer

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did they do to the clutch
Also check and see if the Ac clutch is coming on look for bubbles in the sight glass on the dryer

They didnt do anything to the clutch as far as I know.

I will suggest this

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which clutch?? Trans clutch or AC clutch. I'm thinking you are referring to the AC clutch since this is an AC issue...but not sure why you would need to limp home if the AC clutch isn't working. If the AC clutch locked-up, well yes, then you have some issues and would need to limp where ever you were going and the AC obviously wouldn't be working. Help a guy out here...AC working great prior to which "Clutch" issue?

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any updates jeff? Does anyone know what are the part# of the o-rings i believe from autozone for the "easy fix a/c"

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, havent gotten a chance to take it back to the shop. I have silly problem with my clutch pedal that is keeping me from driving it at the moment.
I actually just got in it today and started it up, it's cool, but not ice cold like it was so the leak must be somewhere else.

I thought yours was blowing cold Tito? the diameter of the rings are posted somewhere but it's a really common size.. just grab a variety pack and you'll be good.

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, havent gotten a chance to take it back to the shop. I have silly problem with my clutch pedal that is keeping me from driving it at the moment.
I actually just got in it today and started it up, it's cool, but not ice cold like it was so the leak must be somewhere else.

I thought yours was blowing cold Tito? the diameter of the rings are posted somewhere but it's a really common size.. just grab a variety pack and you'll be good.

It has been but im like ocd bro lol I was thinking to change out the orings I dont think its blowing as cold might just be the heat down here. But im also thinking of insulating the floor under carpet wrap my exhaust from header to rear tips and my roof liner to help with the heat maybe it will help keep the inner cabin cooler.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
compressors leak on them, they leak at the pressed parts and front seal, but mostly where they press the compressor toghether

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been but im like ocd bro lol I was thinking to change out the orings I dont think its blowing as cold might just be the heat down here. But im also thinking of insulating the floor under carpet wrap my exhaust from header to rear tips and my roof liner to help with the heat maybe it will help keep the inner cabin cooler.

You can delete the cats.. I heard that helps

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to my mechanic and will be bringing it in on tuesday... he thinks it's the dryer.. which makes no sense to me..

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to my mechanic and will be bringing it in on tuesday... he thinks it's the dryer.. which makes no sense to me..
I assume that you changed or checked the o-rings on the dryer connections when you did the compressor? Also checked the fill and purge valves for leaks ? Yes its hard to picture the dryer leaking any place other than the connections.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper