CECA at CSP track in Golden....

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dance:

Once again, headed to the place where the cops practice chasing people.
August 24th.

I will be taking my Corvette to this one, as I did last year.

Not the most spectacular event of the season, but I still like to run there.
Even though the track is a little bit lame, .......It's a different track.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove out to look at the track once..it didn't look like it gets much use at all and I didnt notice any flag stations. Do people actually race there or is it just a day in the park? I got nothing against a day of easy goin fun...btw. But what is the event like? Nice cars show up? Do they put up an entry list?

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a training facility for the cops to practice high speed pursuit and car control. They also practice that 'pit maneuver' crap where they spin the drug runner or DUI guy. (usually a row of smashed CSP cars there) Also lots of non-lethal rubber balls all over the pit area from shooting at each other I guess. It's a place for them to play 'cops and robbers' as practice for the real thing.

Being a training facility, it is not an actual racetrack. It is designed to simulate various roads. There are some mild bumps (not severe) to exercise the suspension. (I have caught air a few times there) -Not fun. Stay below 100 over the bump and it's OK. I have to lift well before it to do that.
No designated corner stations, we man 4 of the corners though.

The attendance of cars is a wider mix than other events. Over the years I have seen from SRT4 Neons to Ferraris and everything in between.
Always a lot of supercharged Mustangs for some reason. :dunno:

WARNING -This is not a place that you want to spin and go off the track. You must drive well below the limit to avoid this.
The landscape has not been cleared of car damaging objects like cactus and big rocks (boulders). Also uneven terrain. There is also wildlife up there. As a corner worker, I had to throw a yellow once for some deer to cross the track. (they say to watch out for rattlesnakes when you are working corners)

The entrance road is ugly. I believe it to be the worst road in America. More suited to a Jeep than a sports car.

I know it's a lot of 'oh no, that *****' crap to deal with, but it breaks the monotony of the nicer track syndrome. You really appreciate how nice HPR / PPIR / PMP are after running at Golden. (it's like the difference between camping and staying at a hotel)

As far as 'racing' goes, you know the drill with these HPDE's. We are not racing, but some of us are keeping track of who's faster.

You can't drive a car like this and not have competitive spirit. Even though we are just doing this for fun, I think it's more fun to get better at it, and improve as a driver. My personal gauge is how well I do in the mix of other cars. (most are the same ones) I know I am getting faster when the monsters I used to point by, are now having to point me by. -feels great.

-At the last CECA event at HPR, another notch in my belt.
There was a ZR1 that I caught and legitimately passed. (couldn't do that in previous seasons) He's a seasoned driver (older guy -thinks he's the Stig) The ZR1 is a way faster car than mine, but I have higher corner speed, and brake later than him. (he also runs Hoosiers)
Felt like a major accomplishment and validation of improvement as a driver. -as the session continued, the gap slowly got wider. He is faster on the straight than me.
The only cars that ate my lunch were the Nelson boys in their ACR-X race cars.
Those guys are very humbling to everyone.

Anyway, registration deadline for this event is the 19th. But they would probably accept some late entries as the attendance is usually light. (cuz it *****)
Let me know if you want to run, I can get you the info if so.

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:yay:

Made it through the event without crashing the car.
Great weather until some light rain late afternoon.

Got to help out a first timer in a 96 GTS. -never rode in a gen II before, what a raw brutal car that is.
.....Very cool.

.........Good people, good times!

:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper