Original Viper tires

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 viper gt/10 with 4,700 miles. The tires on it are original from 1997, but I know I have to replace them. They are like hockey pucks. My question is, do I keep the original tires or dispose of them. I personally have no need for them.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 viper gt/10 with 4,700 miles. The tires on it are original from 1997, but I know I have to replace them. They are like hockey pucks. My question is, do I keep the original tires or dispose of them. I personally have no need for them.

My original tires basically were destroyed when they were removed. Chunks of the tread cracked and came off when the old tires were being removed. They were from 2000.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you want to store old tires, there is absolutely no common sense to do so. Well, the only thing you can do is to make planters out of them. :D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason to store them would be to put them back on a "time capsule" type vehicle before a sale. As stated earlier, they'll probably be damaged in the removal anyway. I'd pitch 'em.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you want to store old tires, there is absolutely no common sense to do so. Well, the only thing you can do is to make planters out of them. :D

Since I'm the only guy who admitted to keeping them, I'm assuming this question is directed at me....

The only reason to store them would be to put them back on a "time capsule" type vehicle before a sale.

This. My OE tires were extremely well preserved as the original owner basically let the car sit in a garage with no light exposure for 10 years. I even drove the car on them for a couple years and somehow avoided the certain flaming death insured by driving on old tires. I removed them on the OE wheels and have them properly stored. Why? Because who knows what will be valuable in the future. When I put in my Walbro fuel pump I literally had the OE pump sitting on top of my garbage can to toss, then I discovered that the OE pumps are getting scarce. So I kept it. So far I have had an offer of $300 for it.

Listen, I know that the chances are remote that these cars will ever become really collectable, but if they do having me OE tire/wheel set up stored in an unused corner of my garage for 30 years will have been worth it!

PS- If you really want to make fun of me, I still have my OE hatch struts that wouldn't hold the glass up any more. You just never know......:D

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the space, keep'em. There's always the chance, however slim, that they'll be a sought after item for someone "restoring" a car down the road. You can always toss them out later if you find them getting in the way.

Also, a pair of them stacked with a circle of glass on top makes a nice end table.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my stock factory rims and tires and stored them one the wall, I keep all the factory parts when upgrading. You never know who will be looking for what if you ever need to sell, it's nice to have options. But for the most part I don't see an old set of tires ever being worth much. But take it for what it's worth, I am a very poor investor.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many times on the Barrett-Jackson Auction have you heard them tout that a 1 of 3 whatever 60s-70s muscle car has the original tires? I've never heard it. It will never be a selling point on a Dodge Viper. Trust me.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4