Questions about Frame Recall and other things

CajunMojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 97 GTS locally. I had a look underneath and seems to have had frame recall work, but didn't get it up on a rack to inspect closely. If it was botched and the oil filter is obstructed, will Dodge fix that issue. Also, it's on a salvage title. Runs great for the short drive I took (put a big grin on my face). AC while it seemed to put out cold air, didn't blow very hard. Is this common? Car has just under 30k miles in the $25k range.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, $25K seems a bit high for a prior salvage title car, though it doesn't take much to total a Viper. A hood and bumper skin can come in at over $15K if using new parts. Throw in headlights and misc hardware, and you've got a totaled car that is just fine mechanically. Because the frame recall is a safety issue, Dodge should fix it free of charge. There are service techs on the forum that are experienced with re-repairing botched recalls.

Reaction score
I don't believe a salvage title car would be covered to redo a botched recall, would be up to the zone rep of the dealership doing any work.

OP
OP
C

CajunMojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to give the Dodge dealer a call and find out for sure on the recall.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was likely done a long time ago and I doubt it would have taken this long for the previous owner to realize he couldn't change the filter. $25k is a good deal even on a salvage title. It's a GTS, not an RT/10.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After giving it some more thought, it is a good price for a GTS. If your buying the car for you to enjoy, and everything checks out OK, don't sweat it. If you're thinking about having a future collectable, the prior salvage will typically hurt the value around 30%.

Unless it's a flood car. A southern salvage car could be a hurricane flood car, and flood cars often manifest mysterious electrical problems months and even years down the road. Does the dealer know why it was salvaged?

OP
OP
C

CajunMojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I put a deposit on the car today, now we have to wait for the funds to clear up so I can pick her up. We agreed on $23k, I know this isn't a $40k Viper, but I think I got a decent deal.

Obligatory crappy cell phone pics
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The front bumper is sitting a little low from where he took it off to repaint it (see first pic) and he will be fixing that.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the recall was done reasonably well weld-wise, then it'd be a fairly straightforward thing to modify the triangular plate just enough to allow filter removal without adulterating the structural integrity of the fix.

crackleking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 rt and found out that there is a recall on the steering and differential frame support. Dodge will do this free of charge. It is recall #998. I also complained to them about the rear window seal that one cannot purchase a new seal to put on the rear window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper