Center console hot to the touch!

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: noticed today while driving home that the center console under my shifter gets so hot that I can't leave my bare hand on it for more than a few seconds! Forget holding my hand on the chrome ashtray I have installed! Is this normal for that area to get that hot or do I have something going on underneath with the tranny? Just want to be an informed owner. Thanks. Jeff

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed several of the sports type cars I have owned had the same heat in the console. The worst I've had was my 2009 ZR1. On the Gen IV it doesn't seem to generate that much heat.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '01 got hot like that last weekend but that was after autocrossing for a good part of the day. Have you noticed it before.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think it's unusual. Vipers do generate a ton of heat. I usually keep both hands on the steering wheel. :drive:

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also worth checking the rubber boot that seals to the shifter as this is also a possibly way heat is entering that area.

+1 this. Not sure about the 2002, but a ripped boot makes a big temperature difference in a gen 3.. Probably worth a look

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say I've ever noticed my gearbox area get that hot? When was the last time you changed the gearbox oil? Any leaks? Might want to check the oil level and replace with new oil?

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say I've ever noticed my gearbox area get that hot? When was the last time you changed the gearbox oil? Any leaks? Might want to check the oil level and replace with new oil?

I agree. Easiest solution would be to change tranny fluid and look for a torn rubber boot- I changed it in my '01 due to the same issues. If it is still getting hot, get a DBB console wedge from PartsRack. Never feel heat again.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DBB console wedge helps the rear of the console from getting hot and strengthens it. In this particular case, it's probably the rubber boot. I repaired mine with gaffers tape over a year ago and that's still holding up. It was meant to be a temporary fix, but considering the longevity of the patch, I may just fix the patch when needed.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its common for the lower shifter boot to split. Im not sure, but aftermarket shifters(not knobs) could possibly expediate the wearing. When i replaced my torn boot i noticed that the shifter(B&M) stretched the boot when in the foward or back gates. Basically were talking about a piece of rubber that goes through a heat cycle every time you drive and is constantly being stretched back and forth. Its only a matter of time before it fails.

A year after replacing mine it split again and ive been dealing with the heat pouring in and heating up my entire center console for a couple years. Wish there was a solution.

Sure, changing your trans fluid is a good idea for any Viper especially if you still have the original 10+ yr old fluid regardless of how many miles you have/drive. I dont think that will keep the boot from splitting though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys. I have the wedge installed already, must be why I haven't noticed the heat before. Had the fluid changed when the clutch was replaced last year. I'll pull the center console and check on the lower boot for any rips. Thanks again everyone!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+ another one on checking for tears in the boot. Mine's a Gen III, but my console used to get so hot, I had my phone in there once and when I pulled it out, it had shut itself down and had a message that it had reached too high of a temp to safely operate (or something like that). I put a new boot in and all was good again.

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys. I have the wedge installed already, must be why I haven't noticed the heat before. Had the fluid changed when the clutch was replaced last year. I'll pull the center console and check on the lower boot for any rips. Thanks again everyone!

Check your local dealer of course but if they can't get it, $56 is not much in the world of Viper repair/parts. https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...e-viper-rubber-inner-gear-shift-boot-04848038