Would you be ok if this was added to the viper

Soul4Survivor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the gear shifters on the steering wheel like the GTS-R has ?? From real vipers owners would you be ok if that got added to future vipers instead

You must be registered for see images attach
Now
You must be registered for see images attach
Wheel

:)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not mind to see the Viper get a real F1 type manual transmission with paddle shift as long as they still had the manual 6 speed option. NO AUTOMATICS though.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but i would love to see it stay a manual forever. Im also a realiest and mnow that the car HAS to evolve to stay relevant. Paddle shifters im sure is in the cars future (think ACR) if/when they can figure it out. Like agentf1 said....Just no automatics.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LoL at the op's pics, and the responces. :)

I think itd be cool if a sequential trans was available as an Option on the ACR.
I'd prefer for the shifter control to remain in the center(like a lot of racecars) as a single knob that is bumped foward or back.
Having buttons on the steering wheel is awkward to me.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm in the stick shift camp, but I wouldn't care if the paddles were an option. I like a stick because I can pick whatever gear I want whenever I want. Don't have to cycle through all of them if I want to skip from 2nd to 4th or downshift a few on the highway to pass. I know it's just a few extra presses on a paddle to get there, but I'd just consider it a little annoying. Guess about any motorcycle is the same "sequential" kind of setup though.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LoL at the op's pics, and the responces. :)

I think itd be cool if a sequential trans was available as an Option on the ACR.
I'd prefer for the shifter control to remain in the center(like a lot of racecars) as a single knob that is bumped foward or back.
Having buttons on the steering wheel is awkward to me.

That's how my race car is and I love it. Although it still requires bumping the throttle and taking you hands off the wheel to downshift. I haven't ever driven a flappy-paddle car on the race track personally, but having an auto-blip for downshift and never moving your hands does seem like it would be an advantage.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will need it, Currently the 2013 Viper has 2005 technology with an upgraded interior and upgraded infotainment.

The rest of the car is pure 2005 technology unfortunately. mostly out dated.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The scariest times on the track for me are downshifting into corners (that require gear change). If I don't execute perfectly I unbalance the car. F1 type shifting would alleviate most of that, no clutch on the floor to get just right. Having said that, I will stay with the stick since it does require proper execution and thus indicates a level of proficiency or experience. So, the more experience I have, the better I will get at it. That would mean my driving skills were improving, and after all isn't that a proper measure of one's skill?

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The scariest times on the track for me are downshifting into corners (that require gear change). If I don't execute perfectly I unbalance the car. F1 type shifting would alleviate most of that, no clutch on the floor to get just right. Having said that, I will stay with the stick since it does require proper execution and thus indicates a level of proficiency or experience. So, the more experience I have, the better I will get at it. That would mean my driving skills were improving, and after all isn't that a proper measure of one's skill?

Yes, if you are living in 2005 it is. ;)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paddles are inevitable.

If people want to complain it is getting beat on the drag strip by other cars (which, all are DCT/Paddle type of deals) it is mandatory at this point.

I am lost on if it will remove the "fun" from the Viper though. Rowing through the gears is a blast, but, can you enjoy the car the same if it did the hard work for you?

If people want to throw out the mantra "the viper should never compromise!" then you need to bring in DCT and possibly AWD to the platform to sweep up in every category.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paddles are inevitable.

If people want to complain it is getting beat on the drag strip by other cars (which, all are DCT/Paddle type of deals) it is mandatory at this point.

I am lost on if it will remove the "fun" from the Viper though. Rowing through the gears is a blast, but, can you enjoy the car the same if it did the hard work for you?

If people want to throw out the mantra "the viper should never compromise!" then you need to bring in DCT and possibly AWD to the platform to sweep up in every category.

FINALLY, ViperSmith , we agree on something.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the street I way prefer the stick, for the track, no contest, paddles. So .. what would I like in the viper, tough one for me as I'd like to see both options. The problem I think is that with such limited production, would they make both options or focus on one and that's it, like they have with the stick?? I dunno, but if it's all about pure performance, the paddles win, of course you can take a GT-R to 10's now while sipping a brandy, does that make it better or worse .. that's the debate. If they go paddles, double clutch and without the clutch replacement every 5,000 mile issue you see on some other exotics would be required.

But, when we get into sheer performance topics on the viper, you get on a slope of other things like, the exhaust and the engine ... there are potentially big improvements to be had there, but torches would be getting lit if we get onto that topic. lol

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
...If they go paddles, double clutch and without the clutch replacement every 5,000 mile issue you see on some other exotics would be required...

That's a good point I never thought about. The Viper has historically been a bulletproof monster. As the technology level creeps up they might start walking the line on acceptable reliability. Will a DCT handle a 1300 twin turbo build? I guess they can since some Lambo run them I believe, but how often are they beat on? Maybe SRT is taking the approach of waiting till the technology is really well proven and has come down in price. Sort of like the new car itself for us. You can pre-order one and pay out the nose, or wait a few years for depreciation to hit and some bugs to get ironed out.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't you gooo somewhere else, maybe the honda forum. You add nothing and you continually ruin threads, then hide behind the "I not a hater", you are right you are a di@k.

It will need it, Currently the 2013 Viper has 2005 technology with an upgraded interior and upgraded infotainment.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from the paddle world "down" to the manual tranny; it was a challenge which is what has made it fun for me. Been an exciting change. The CEO called shifting in this car "an art" and I must agree.

Having said that paddles would still be fun

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would the cost of a replacement clutch be on a DCT transmission vs. a Manuel transmission, Which would be more reliable. I would say the manual.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't you gooo somewhere else, maybe the honda forum. You add nothing and you continually ruin threads, then hide behind the "I not a hater", you are right you are a di@k.

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick( in a 2013 Viper), Jack jump over the Vipers shifter stick !!

Leave me alone you miserable man !! go fight with your wife instead.....

I just want everyone to know that these vicious attacks against me have been very hurtful. ( eyes tearing )

Last edited:

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would the cost of a replacement clutch be on a DCT transmission vs. a Manuel transmission, Which would be more reliable. I would say the manual.

sambo32, are you in Crooklyn, NY or in California ? Your avatar states location in Crooklyn NY, but VCA membership is Northern Cali ?

The Nissan GT-R entire transmission is around $25,000 to replace if ruined . I can only assume the clutch would be around a $5000 job.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a minor correction. It is 2010 technology. The PCM's on the 05 (Gen3) were very tunable, the Gen 4-5's are not. :D

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't care if they put a dual-clutch automatic in the Viper, as long as the manual was always the standard option. Good to have choices. If Viper became only automatic like the GT-R, I'd never buy another one.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paddles are inevitable.

Driving an auto or semi-auto (paddle shifted; no clutch pedal) is not nearly as much fun as a pure manual. I don't think that the Viper is supposed to be king of the drag strip since it was designed to be a well-rounded performer. It posts great times at the strip, and around a race track it's either at or near the top compared to a variety of cars in the $100K-$200K price range. The advantages of paddle-shifted cars are virtually non existent if the driver of the manual knows how to drive, although the manual is always going to be less forgiving.

On a side note, with a paddle shifter you always have to cycle through the each gear whereas with a manual you can optimize gear selection by jumping from 4 to 2, or even 3 to 1 during aggressive braking depending on the course.

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick( in a 2013 Viper), Jack jump over the Vipers shifter stick !!

Leave me alone you miserable man !! go fight with your wife instead.....

He left his white supremacist meeting early just to leave you a thoughtful comment and this is how you thank him?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving an auto or semi-auto (paddle shifted; no clutch pedal) is not nearly as much fun as a pure manual. I don't think that the Viper is supposed to be king of the drag strip since it was designed to be a well-rounded performer. It posts great times at the strip, and around a race track it's either at or near the top compared to a variety of cars in the $100K-$200K price range. The advantages of paddle-shifted cars are virtually non existent if the driver of the manual knows how to drive, although the manual is always going to be less forgiving.

On a side note, with a paddle shifter you always have to cycle through the each gear whereas with a manual you can optimize gear selection by jumping from 4 to 2, or even 3 to 1 during aggressive braking depending on the course.

He left his white supremacist meeting early just to leave you a thoughtful comment and this is how you thank him?

Peerbuddy, good to have you back on the forum..... I was getting beat up constantly while you were gone ( Vacay?) .... They really hurt my feelings......OK NOT !!!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The other thing that's nice about the stick is the ability to modulate the clutch however the situation might require. Not sure how bad DCT's might be about it, but what if you need to do a slow crawl like backing up into a parking spot or a parade or something? Yeah it's ******* the clutch, but a herky jerky auto-clutch could make for some interesting insurance claims when you back into a port or parking curb (assuming they have issues with low speed that is, I really don't know as I've never driven one).

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not mind to see the Viper get a real F1 type manual transmission with paddle shift as long as they still had the manual 6 speed option. NO AUTOMATICS though.

This. It's the only to stay on top unfortunately.