1993 first track day

ohiotj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last Friday I was able to take the viper out for its first track day. The cars is all stock save for new fluids, tires, and pads. I was very safe while learning the new car and track, mid ohio. I was nervous about the brakes and chose to use my better judgment and not push them while learning its limits. The michellin tires held to the track better then I thought they would. By far the hardest corner for me was the keyhole. Trying to brake at the right time while maintaing the correct line was a little tough for me. Also coming down the long stretch and finding my right breaking point was tough. Other then that the viper loved to go through madness and the rest of the slower corners. I had a younger instructor who didn't understand my reservations about the brakes. Also I told him the car is only three weeks old to me and I had never tried to run it hard. He relaxed after our first session when the car broke free a few times and I was able to give the correct inputs to continue on the lap. Overall it is clear that for a twenty year old car she proved to be very reliable and more importantly rather stable. I have always wanted a viper and part of the romantic feel of it is the lack of gizmos and governors. Hearing the horror stories of inexperienced drivers letting the car get away from them kept me very alert to the control of the car. I can honestly say that while I was not at the limits of the car I was comfortable dancing with her and look forward to our next date. Also can't say enough about the experience at Mid-Ohio. Very nice track with a rewarding drive. I went out with NASA in their hpde group. All went well and all the drivers and instructors were friendly. Can't wait to do it again.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you have your first track day, you end up doing it again and again and again.

It's kind of like street drugs, only more addictive....and more expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave