First time run @ HPR West

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to check out SCCA event at HPR, and ran the West Course for the first time. It was pretty ok, and I ran a 1:33.2 on scrubs which someone said was close to the Radicals. Idk as I didn't check the other group time sheets... It's a somewhat faster configuration than the full course. Worth the price of admission and a great bunch of drivers!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run the west course, and the north course at HPR.

It does change things up a bit from the usual.

I like the occasional variety, but prefer the full course.

They had a day once where they ran one configuration in the morning and another in the afternoon.
...........fun. :drive:

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NASA will be running the North on Sat and West on Sun this weekend... Forecast is 63 deg & sunny, so the track should be very fast. Lap records will fall for sure. I will be there Sat for sure, maybe Sunday.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful with turn 4 in the North course configuration. They may mention that in the driver's meeting.
I'd be surprised if they don't. There was an ugly rollover last year on a lapping day on the inside of turn 4.
I am friends with the guy that was in the passenger seat during the wreck. There is a you tube video of it. It was my buddy's camera in the car. Boxster convertible. I drove the North course the week after and see how that can happen. -Not the same corner as the regular turn 4.
The 'bobsled' portion of the track ends up being way faster as well due to the longer run at it....not coming out of a hairpin.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always work up to speed on a new course or course layout...no worries. Why don't you come out to play? Halloween party BBQ after the track closes on Sat. night! Last year we had the mother of all bonfires out there...it was crazy. LOL

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not 'grown-up' enough yet to deal with all the rules, regulations, and protocol that NASA and SCCA employ.

I run with PCA, and that's about as strict as I want to get right now. I like tracks days to be more about 'fun' than 'rules'.

That will probably change for me as I grow as a driver and I will probably seek a higher level of organization and intensity.
-at that point, I will join up with one or both of those groups.

Also, I've had 5 track days in the last 6 weeks, and am planning a lapping day at PMP with some friends next Saturday. I don't think I have enough tires/brakes to do much more than that at this point. I am done for the season after that.

I do appreciate the invite though, stay safe and keep the dirty side down.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the PCA (I tracked a Carrera and was a member for over a decade) and CECA (got black flagged for passing a brand new Ferrari 430 in the esses at HPR..my fault for confusing hand waving between driver and passenger for point by) have more 'rules' on the track than NASA. Eg., point by passing, no passing in corners, etc. Sure, the competition rules in NASA or SCCA are pretty extensive but those govern racing (car construction and classification, etc.), and most don't apply to HPDE or even TT. Bring a helmet, attend the drivers meeting, get a brief car inspection for safety, and go have fun and drive safe (universal rules like stay on your line when being passed, obey flags). That's been my experience in NASA and SCCA. Just sayin. Have fun in Pueblo!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you have to 'join their establishment' pay dues to be in their club, and pass some kind of mental health tests or something like that?

I cannot pass any kind of mental health test.

I am crazy...................people that have ridden with me have told me that anyway.

The other question is, what is the pricing of the events?..........I am a working man trying to enjoy a rich man's sport.
-supporting a track Viper has been a challenge, If the SCCA/NASA events cost much more to run that the other bozo events, I have to stick to strictly bozo tracking. ....Or cut back on the number of days, and I can't do that.

I should get a Miata or a Fox-body Mustang or some junk like that to track. It would be way cheaper, But I don't think I could stand to be so slow after a Viper track car. .............life's dilemmas. Hmm.

...Watch out for the Radicals, tilt your mirrors down a little so you can see them coming, unless it is them that need to see you coming.
(if that is the case, then I may buy your car after all)

;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave