Anyone Use Their Viper Daily?

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just joined, I'm not sure if I saw an intro thread so ill make this my intro thread.

I'm about to purchase a vehicle and I would really like to get a 95 Dodge Viper RT/10. This would be my daily driver.
I have a truck also, so it would be a back up or driven in the rain.

What are your thoughts on a 95 Viper to a daily? Reliability wise? Cost of maintenance wise?

I just chose 95, I know it goes from 92-2001 right ?

I drive about 10,000 miles a year.

Anyone use theirs daily?

Thanks. Nice to meet everyone.

Rare Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, and welcome. I try to drive my '95 as much as I can, but I couldn't do it as a DD. It's a bit tricky in stop/go traffic, and the roof and windows aren't always fun to deal with. It's a great car though, and I'm always excited to get back in and drive it.

Allvenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, I am not familiar with the older model Viper's but I drive mine a few days a week and never drive the car in the rain. Hope you end up with one though, they are awesome to drive !!!!!

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys !

I would love to pick one up. I'm just concerned about a few things:

1. Does it get hot or overheat in stop in go traffic ? Or stopped traffic? especially in the summer time?

2. I read on a forum that in the summer time the AC can't really keep up, is that true ?

3. How reliable is it? I'm scared to spend 25-30k on one and have to be wrenching on it a bunch.

4. Does the 92-2002 RT/10 really not have door locks ?!

I got to ride in a yellow RT/10 in around 98 and it was AWESOME. Man it was fast. I was only in 7th grade at the time though, haha.

Rare Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had no overheating, but it gets hot inside the car, especially with the top on.

When the AC works, it works awesome. But the seals like to leak, so it doesn't last.

As far as reliability, I've had mine 3 years and I haven't had to do anything other than fluid changes. Keep in mind...it's an 18 year old car, if it has minor issues... it's allowed.

No real widows = not much security, but it does have the factory alarm.

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys !

I would love to pick one up. I'm just concerned about a few things:

1. Does it get hot or overheat in stop in go traffic ? Or stopped traffic? especially in the summer time?

2. I read on a forum that in the summer time the AC can't really keep up, is that true ?

3. How reliable is it? I'm scared to spend 25-30k on one and have to be wrenching on it a bunch.

I got to ride in a yellow RT/10 in around 98 and it was AWESOME. Man it was fast. I was only in 7th grade at the time though, haha.

I cant answer all of your questions but here is what I know.

* I think it is a bad idea to use a 95 Viper as a daily driver. For one, the windows would have to be manually removed on a 95. It does get very warm inside a Viper. You mentioned above about stop and go traffic......VERY BAD IDEA for a Viper. No matter what year Viper you are talking about these cars are not meant for every day stop and go traffic. Vipers need open road smooth roads. This is when they are at there best.

My advise to you would be go ahead and get it but do not use it as a daily driver especially in stop and go traffic. That is just my 2 cents.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rt's are gen 1 and gen 2, they have different features, gts only gen 2

they are no fun in stop and go traffic if you live in a hot climate, did it a few times (houston traffic) and now avoid rush hour in the viper like the plague

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rt's are gen 1 and gen 2, they have different features, gts only gen 2

they are no fun in stop and go traffic if you live in a hot climate, did it a few times (houston traffic) and now avoid rush hour in the viper like the plague

I live not too far from Houston

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine daily for almost two years after I got it. -even in the winter.
Tried to drive it in the snow. ........sucked.

Finally realized it would be better to just use it as a dedicated track car and buy a Corvette for the street.

Vipers are great street cars, if you can deal with the daily wear and tear, and have safe places to park it when you are not in it.
Gas mileage *****.

The cops hate it. ........they don't even notice the Corvette.

Nobody notices the Corvette.

:rolleyes:

JMcGuinness

VCA Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 96 B/W GTS about 8 weeks ago so here is what I think on that short sample time:

Depends where you live and definition of hot. It can get warm, but that is what they make windows/convertibles for or A/C. Worst case is keep the top off and drive around in a t-shirt and shorts!

Only time I've had that as a remote issue is when I'm at a dead stop for an eternity. That has only happened once heh. Granted a separate cause could be the AC system is needing some service.

Same question I had, but several long-time members have reassured me that a Viper is quite reliable. Working on the car is fairly easy if you're handy and have some of the basics (wrenches, jackstands). You can save yourself a good deal of money doing the work yourself. Even with my busy schedule, I make some time to work a little on the car on weekends.

Electronic locks. Found this in a forum search:

On my 95 the ignition key is also the trunk key. Right after I bought the car I locked the keys in the trunk around 10pm. If I did this at home I probably would have drilled the lock out myself but since I was about 50 miles away I called a locksmith. I figured he would show up drill out my trunk lock (I didn't like that idea at all) charge me a couple hundred dollars and I would have to buy a new trunk lock. This guy showed up within 45 minutes driving a van with a computer in it. He pulled out a couple of wires that were attached to the computer and stuck them in the trunk lock and then made a key from the computer readout. He handed me the key and I unlocked the trunk. I ask him about his computer and he said it works for ignition keys and door locks on almost any vehicle. He said he could make a key for just about any type of lock if he had the right kind of blank. My first thought was what if the bad guys got one of these machines. He said that they are very common but to have one and use it that there are a number of restrictions to prevent them from being used illegally. He also said it is kind of like having a cell phone stolen.
If it is stolen you just report it and the machine is made inoperable. I thought 2 or 3 hundred dollars to have the key made and no damage to my trunk would not be an unreasonable price to pay for the key especially since I didn't need to buy a new trunk lock. He charged me $95.00 and also gave me an extra key and told me to send the bill to my insurance company. I didn't think my insurance company would pay for my own stupidity but they did.

I got to ride in a yellow RT/10 in around 98 and it was AWESOME.

#1 reason to own a Viper. Extremely fun to drive and if I lived closer to my work location, I'd drive it almost every day. I know of a few people that do and they love it.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you will enjoy your viper in controlled doses. Get a ****** and save the beast from daily tear and wear. Just imagine your gas bill:omg:if you drive it daily

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a 96 B/W GTS about 8 weeks ago so here is what I think on that short sample time:

Depends where you live and definition of hot. It can get warm, but that is what they make windows/convertibles for or A/C. Worst case is keep the top off and drive around in a t-shirt and shorts!

Only time I've had that as a remote issue is when I'm at a dead stop for an eternity. That has only happened once heh. Granted a separate cause could be the AC system is needing some service.

Same question I had, but several long-time members have reassured me that a Viper is quite reliable. Working on the car is fairly easy if you're handy and have some of the basics (wrenches, jackstands). You can save yourself a good deal of money doing the work yourself. Even with my busy schedule, I make some time to work a little on the car on weekends.

Electronic locks. Found this in a forum search:

On my 95 the ignition key is also the trunk key. Right after I bought the car I locked the keys in the trunk around 10pm. If I did this at home I probably would have drilled the lock out myself but since I was about 50 miles away I called a locksmith. I figured he would show up drill out my trunk lock (I didn't like that idea at all) charge me a couple hundred dollars and I would have to buy a new trunk lock. This guy showed up within 45 minutes driving a van with a computer in it. He pulled out a couple of wires that were attached to the computer and stuck them in the trunk lock and then made a key from the computer readout. He handed me the key and I unlocked the trunk. I ask him about his computer and he said it works for ignition keys and door locks on almost any vehicle. He said he could make a key for just about any type of lock if he had the right kind of blank. My first thought was what if the bad guys got one of these machines. He said that they are very common but to have one and use it that there are a number of restrictions to prevent them from being used illegally. He also said it is kind of like having a cell phone stolen.
If it is stolen you just report it and the machine is made inoperable. I thought 2 or 3 hundred dollars to have the key made and no damage to my trunk would not be an unreasonable price to pay for the key especially since I didn't need to buy a new trunk lock. He charged me $95.00 and also gave me an extra key and told me to send the bill to my insurance company. I didn't think my insurance company would pay for my own stupidity but they did.

#1 reason to own a Viper. Extremely fun to drive and if I lived closer to my work location, I'd drive it almost every day. I know of a few people that do and they love it.

Wow thank you for all of your info man !

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to the forums! :)

In a nut shell, the Gen 1s (92-95) cars would make a sucky DD. They were crude cars that served one purpose: To go fast in nice weather. :)

The Gen 2 cars (96-02) for sure got better and would be bare min as a DD.

The Gen 3 cars (03-06) are much better...

The Gen 4s....yup....can be a good DD.

Really, the rule of thumb is the newer you get the better the creature comforts, AC, etc are as the cars evolved.

Also in the same sentence, if you were to buy a Gen 3 for 25-30, yes, there will likely be repairs needed as it would be higher mileaged in that price range.

Oh, and get high flow cats. That will help the AC keep up as there will be less heat in the interior (cats are under drivers and passengers butts basically).

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got to drive a Viper yesterday!! I'm thinking about getting it.

It's a 94 RT/10 with 7,800 miles.

$30,000 sticker, $33,000 drive out.

I had a blast driving it, it drove great. Smooth, no grinds, easy to drive.

AC worked ok, but I was too busy grinning and because I was driving a Viper.

Right now my choice is between this car and a 2007 Roush Mustang Stage 3 Drag Pak.

The Viper would be my half daily driver. I would drive my truck half and the Viper half.

Any thoughts girls and guys?

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some photos of it:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Rare Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AC worked ok?

I could be wrong, but I thought 1995 was the first year for AC.

Beautiful car, although the first time you drive it in hard rain you'll change your mind as a daily car. If you have a truck... drive that every day, and spoil yourself with this whenever you get the chance.

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ac was ok, I think it needed freeon.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Viper and the Mustang.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice yellow ride!!

As for a Viper vs a Mustang, in my mind there is not much of an options there but then again I am clearly biased as I am on a Viper forum. :) One car is a sports car of sorts, the other is borderline American Supercar.

JMcGuinness

VCA Member
Reaction score
Here's the big difference.

People on the street seeing a mustang: "A mustang....." {assuming they even notice.}

People on the street seeing a Viper: "Look! A Viper!"

'Nuff said.

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The only thing I'm concerned with is reliability. I'm gonna have it for at least 4 years until the note is paid for.

It only has 7,500 miles on it. But I'm still concerned of mechanical items breaking.

Just to recap. I'm not gonna drive it everyday, but it will be driven quite a bit. I wanna be able to drive it out of town too. So it would be nice to not worry about it breaking down or anything.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 94 and it has never given me an issue, well except that I needed to replace some old hoses and thermostat, but other than routine stuff, fluid changes, plugs/wires it is wonderful. I don't know if someone asked this but why not just drive the truck and have the Viper as the backup, or am I missing something? I don't think you would have any issues but I bet your truck would get better gas mileage and not require premium? The issue that I would have is leaving the car the way I do my DD, just wouldn't happen. To many greenies out there and I'm betting if you parked it all the time like a true DD it would get F****** with hard at least at one point, but I'm a paranoid Viper dad anyway lol. I did see one once in Downtown Louisville on the side of the street just like all the other cars waiting for their people to get off work, it was F****** Boss! But unless I could see it out my window to make sure no one screwed with it I wouldn't drive it everyday. Good luck with the car.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you think there are so many low mileage Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars? They just do not make great daily drivers. Gen 3 and 4 are much more dd friendly so there are more miles put on them. Think of your routine every time you park the car. A Gen1 will really cramp your style when late to a meeting and you have to put your windows in, top on, etc. Look at a Gen 3 vert with some miles on it if looking for a dd.

OP
OP
T

Turbolag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 and it has never given me an issue, well except that I needed to replace some old hoses and thermostat, but other than routine stuff, fluid changes, plugs/wires it is wonderful. I don't know if someone asked this but why not just drive the truck and have the Viper as the backup, or am I missing something? I don't think you would have any issues but I bet your truck would get better gas mileage and not require premium? The issue that I would have is leaving the car the way I do my DD, just wouldn't happen. To many greenies out there and I'm betting if you parked it all the time like a true DD it would get F****** with hard at least at one point, but I'm a paranoid Viper dad anyway lol. I did see one once in Downtown Louisville on the side of the street just like all the other cars waiting for their people to get off work, it was F****** Boss! But unless I could see it out my window to make sure no one screwed with it I wouldn't drive it everyday. Good luck with the car.

I was kinda thinking about doing this. Driving the Viper a couple days a week. The truck gets about 20mpg. Especially if it rains. I'm getting pretty close to making a decision. Its between the Viper or a new WRX STI. They are about the same performance wise and price wise. I like them both a lot. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time deciding, but I am trying to make my mind up in the next couple days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper