Let's try to help SRT save/sell the GEN V.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<I personally love the Gen V, but I do understand why people are disappointed>>

Interesting comment mnc..but I doubt that any GEN V owners are disappointed, other than the fellow that had the lemon, who btw, went out gracefully. As for the stripe pricing option, I agree wholeheartedly.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the cars would move if they could get butts in seats. That is it. Allow test drives. Make them happen. You can't drive the car and not have a smile on your face.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<I personally love the Gen V, but I do understand why people are disappointed>>

Interesting comment mnc..but I doubt that any GEN V owners are disappointed, other than the fellow that had the lemon, who btw, went out gracefully. As for the stripe pricing option, I agree wholeheartedly.

I guess I should have written that part differently. I doubt any owners are disappointed. Hell, even if the Gen V was just a small improvement over the Gen IV, I know I wouldn't be disappointed. I drove a Gen IV and my face hurt from smiling for hours after. I've driven high HP cars before, but I can't put the experience into words.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah... even Randy Pobst almost pushed his ears off the side of his head from smiling.

I guess I should have written that part differently. I doubt any owners are disappointed. Hell, even if the Gen V was just a small improvement over the Gen IV, I know I wouldn't be disappointed. I drove a Gen IV and my face hurt from smiling for hours after. I've driven high HP cars before, but I can't put the experience into words.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I should have written that part differently. I doubt any owners are disappointed. Hell, even if the Gen V was just a small improvement over the Gen IV, I know I wouldn't be disappointed. I drove a Gen IV and my face hurt from smiling for hours after. I've driven high HP cars before, but I can't put the experience into words.[/QUOTE

I hear ya mnc :)))

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ray Charles can see they aren't moving.

I actually LOL'd on that one.
What it would take for me to buy one is actually free: A phenomenal local dealership experience. That's pretty much it. I don't give my money to dealers that treat me like a second class citizen, and so far, that's all I've experienced. A simple test drive could possibly swing me over, along with respect. There are better dealerships out there, I know, but I have to drive hours and out of state to get to them.

My bad experiences with nearly every Chrysler dealer has been way below sub-par.

P.S. ...and unlock that dang PCM, it's beyond ridiculous that it has taken this long.

Last edited:

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 things I can think of, paddle shifters so wife could drive if necessary, also a removable panel on the coupe to enjoy the sky when driving..,the top can be stores in the hatch area...my $.02

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn I love my Viper. Most exciting car I've ever owned. But i have modified the hell out of it too. I want so bad to support the Gen V...but I can't: IT WASN'T BUILT OR MARKETED TO BE SOLD TO PEOPLE LIKE ME. They would have to dumb it down and beef it up for that, and I don't think that's in SRT's plans under Ralph Gilles. Maybe that's a good thing. I'll just enjoy what I got! : )

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 4 Vipers, most recently a 2010 ssg acr le. I was fortunate enough to see a GTS @ $132k and an SRT @ $109k. Both of them left me feeling they were too high even though my acr was $111k. The most glaring thing was the SRT had the econo stripes that did not finish on the trunk or below the grill. The dealer is a good friend of mine and was willing to make a deal, but something did not feel right. It might be that I just dont want to spend $100k anymore on a car. My wife would like to have a viper again, but $60-70k seems to be an active market with some decent vehicles, i.e. new Vette. As absurd as this may sound, make a Viper-lite with 475 hp hemi, call it a Dodge, not SRT, price it at 60k, sell more of them and keep the funding alive for a 700-750 hp SRT Viper that people will pay the big bucks for.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure that little Cross Fire with a Hemi Would do the trick....

balance

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 4 Vipers, most recently a 2010 ssg acr le. I was fortunate enough to see a GTS @ $132k and an SRT @ $109k. Both of them left me feeling they were too high even though my acr was $111k. The most glaring thing was the SRT had the econo stripes that did not finish on the trunk or below the grill. The dealer is a good friend of mine and was willing to make a deal, but something did not feel right. It might be that I just dont want to spend $100k anymore on a car. My wife would like to have a viper again, but $60-70k seems to be an active market with some decent vehicles, i.e. new Vette. As absurd as this may sound, make a Viper-lite with 475 hp hemi, call it a Dodge, not SRT, price it at 60k, sell more of them and keep the funding alive for a 700-750 hp SRT Viper that people will pay the big bucks for.

So absurd it's actually brilliant! A "Viper-lite" with a 6.4 hemi or 6.2 Helcat and the paddle shift 8sp. option, even starting at 20k less, would attract enough buyers to offset the lack of current sales.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So absurd it's actually brilliant! A "Viper-lite" with a 6.4 hemi or 6.2 Helcat and the paddle shift 8sp. option, even starting at 20k less, would attract enough buyers to offset the lack of current sales.

That was the basis of the Firepower concept. The lack of shared engine or platform always puts the Viper program in danger of cancellation when the numbers are like they are for 2013.

Tying an entry level car with the Viper frame/chassis would be great to increase the productivity out of CAAP and give a the executive a lot more reason to increase the budgets for ongoing R&D into improving the Viper and its sibling.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "Viper lite" with the 6.2 liter hellcat engine, say producing 580 to 600HP and equivalent torque, with a better power distribution under the curve, on a smaller, lighter platform with an eight speed paddleshifting tranny as rapid as that found on cars like the GTR would likley kill a six speed Gen V in the quarter mile.

It would likely not beat one on a road course due to heat soak but that problem could be solved. But wait. If you do not define a Viper by the number of cylinders in its engine and the type of tranny and you do define it as a class dominating vehicle, wouldn't this be one? Particularly if the power was say at 675.

That was the basis of the Firepower concept. The lack of shared engine or platform always puts the Viper program in danger of cancellation when the numbers are like they are for 2013.

Tying an entry level car with the Viper frame/chassis would be great to increase the productivity out of CAAP and give a the executive a lot more reason to increase the budgets for ongoing R&D into improving the Viper and its sibling.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think first and formost, SRT needs to send properly prepped cars for magazine tests... Period. Who is going to spend any amount of $ on a car that is reportedly falling apart? That's not economy, thats not politics... That's just plain stupid.
November issue of MT, Viper placed 12th out of 12! The car sent for testing was poorly prepped, had multiple issues. I'm really surprised they even tested the car.

This Viper had a number of mechanical issues that sank it in voting. Key among these was a serious brake problem. During figure-eight testing, one of the motors that moves the adjustable pedals broke off under braking and jammed the brake pedal to the floor. Thankfully, the figure-eight course
is a controlled environment, but had this happened during road testing or lapping at Laguna Seca, the results could've been bad. Couple that with the fact that two of the four bolts holding the driver's seat to the car were not even finger-tight, and we had a serious safety issue.

One of the hood vents flew off on the freeway and caromed off the windshield. There was a persistent rattle in the right side of the cabin that was never identified. The Performance Apps froze the infotainment system. The paint on the edges of the rocker panels was being burned by the exhaust. Finally, the Viper arrived mounted with standard Pirelli P Zeros on the front and P Zero Corsas on the rear.

Later in the article MT said the tires were worn-out! Sorry I don't get it... Why?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1311_2013_motor_trend_best_drivers_car/srt_viper.html

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think first and formost, SRT needs to send properly prepped cars for magazine tests... Period. Who is going to spend any amount of $ on a car that is reportedly falling apart? That's not economy, thats not politics... That's just plain stupid.
November issue of MT, Viper placed 12th out of 12! The car sent for testing was poorly prepped, had multiple issues. I'm really surprised they even tested the car.

This Viper had a number of mechanical issues that sank it in voting. Key among these was a serious brake problem. During figure-eight testing, one of the motors that moves the adjustable pedals broke off under braking and jammed the brake pedal to the floor. Thankfully, the figure-eight course
is a controlled environment, but had this happened during road testing or lapping at Laguna Seca, the results could've been bad. Couple that with the fact that two of the four bolts holding the driver's seat to the car were not even finger-tight, and we had a serious safety issue.

One of the hood vents flew off on the freeway and caromed off the windshield. There was a persistent rattle in the right side of the cabin that was never identified. The Performance Apps froze the infotainment system. The paint on the edges of the rocker panels was being burned by the exhaust. Finally, the Viper arrived mounted with standard Pirelli P Zeros on the front and P Zero Corsas on the rear.

Later in the article MT said the tires were worn-out! Sorry I don't get it... Why?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1311_2013_motor_trend_best_drivers_car/srt_viper.html

WOW, That's Terrible :( Not good at all!

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Agreed. That one test, for the subjective title of "best driver's car" should have easily been a #1 win. Instead it was dead last. That hurts.

Say what you will about magazines and their reviews and whether they matter to the buying public, but even if only enthusiasts look at reviews of their own make and model, it's a terrible disappointment to have such things written about "your" car.

Viper people aren't used to such treatment.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly, they should learn from the italian cousin.....
http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins
.....maybe not as much but....:drive:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. That one test, for the subjective title of "best driver's car" should have easily been a #1 win. Instead it was dead last. That hurts.
I think this one will hurt a long time... AND it could have been avoided.
Only question now is... Who's head is gonna roll for letting this car go out un-prepped?

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this one will hurt a long time... AND it could have been avoided.
Only question now is... Who's head is gonna roll for letting this car go out un-prepped?

From what I heard, no one... not even sure there is going to be any change in the way things are being done. :dunno:

Maybe something's changed in the past month, but there just seems to be too many MBAs and not enough engineers running the show there right now.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol that MT article. SRT screwed the pooch, but I still don't see how the vent flew out of the car.

It simply isn't possible unless someone broke the clamps holding it in.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "Viper lite" with the 6.2 liter hellcat engine, say producing 580 to 600HP and equivalent torque, with a better power distribution under the curve, on a smaller, lighter platform with an eight speed paddleshifting tranny as rapid as that found on cars like the GTR would likley kill a six speed Gen V in the quarter mile.

It would likely not beat one on a road course due to heat soak but that problem could be solved. But wait. If you do not define a Viper by the number of cylinders in its engine and the type of tranny and you do define it as a class dominating vehicle, wouldn't this be one? Particularly if the power was say at 675.

Well the original idea was to go head to head against the C6 base Corvette years ago, and putting in the 5 speed auto and 5.7 hemi on the Viper chassis with a sophisticated (think Aston Martin) and ++ content would be a good seller. It didn't have to be a track star. That was almost a decade ago.

Today? The C7 base car is pretty hard to beat in bang for the buck, nothing really comes close and the level of sophistication and refinement seems really high (early delivery gremlins not withstanding). I think a 6.2 hellcat would come uncomfortably close to a Viper in cost and product positioning, maybe you'd be able to introduce it a year or two in but launching with that engine option would make things kind of difficult for the Viper (unless they were planning a 700+ HP Viper).

6.4 with the 8 speed auto/6 speed TR6060, priced under the C7 Vette (45k) would be an attention getter. If you threw in a base car with the 5.7 hemi as a stripper at 40k, you'd need 3 shifts at Conner just to keep up, and the Viper platform would be a nice halo car on top of it.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I heard, no one... not even sure there is going to be any change in the way things are being done. :dunno:

Maybe something's changed in the past month, but there just seems to be too many MBAs and not enough engineers running the show there right now.

Not enough real car guys/girls in the marketing dept...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated prior, same vent location blew out on mule here in cross wind of Rockies on I-70 during High Altitude testing. I suspect it was the same issue. Could have been the same prototype hood for that fact. Either way not good publiciity. If it was screwed in metal screens from the underside like it should be and not plastic, then that would have never happended. Maybe M-T heard the story and knocked it out themselves. I would put nothing beyond that tabloid rag.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with 9 Ball that the bulk of folks out there think the car is 150K. Have two well equiped 2014 SRTs that have leather seats , Hyper Black rims, and upgraded standard equipment ( 12 speaker stereo , NAV and backup camera) and they list for 109 and 110K. Long way from 150K , yet fairly close to the last generation, price wise, with a ton more equipment.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cheesy interiors are a Chrysler trademark, poor fit and finish as well, although I like my 97 gts body lines I want to drive it not just admire from a distance, so lets go for paddle shifters, awd, factory turbo or super( if not then maybe a v-12 option), I believe power windows are a waste but oh well, a Ferrari California seems to be a good standard to keep up with, or get GM to do the interiors, Chrysler needs to take more pride in their vehicles

mikesax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2013 is TREMENDOUS in every way!! QUALITY-FIT-FINISH are exceptional!!!! It is under appreciated by the car magazines-lets give them a properly set up GTS-it will rank number one in just about every test!
Also-it is under marketed-it needs more exposure next to and with the higher end exotics it wants to draw sales from!
Here's a CRAZY idea-seeing we don't have a Woodhouse or Tomball in the Northeast-make a deal with Land Rover to have 10-20% of their showroom floor filled with SRT Viper's!!!!
If they can sell SUV's for $100-$150,000- than Im sure they can market the Viper to the same customer!
You never know-if sales don't improve-RADICAL idea's abound!!! I REALLY LOVE MY CAR AND IT's PERFORMANCE AND QUALITY ARE SECOND TO NONE!!!!!!!!!!
IT NEEDS TO SURVIVE AND THRIVE- todays the first day in 3 weeks it's rained so I left it home and Im going bonkers because I can't drive it home from work!!!!!
Sorry for the RANT!!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading these threads just makes me want to not share any more information about my 2013 ownership. It seems people here are just determined to rip the Gen 5 apart, judge it poorly, and complain about issues that don't even exist in the car. Many of them have never even seen, or driven one.

The only owner of a Gen V that has complained about the car (rightfully so) is Kristopher Bush, but he had a lemon. The rest of us seem very happy with the cars. ~shrug~

Tony

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why go to Land Rover? Fiat owns Ferrari. They should put a few Vipers in Ferrari/Maserati showrooms in the Northeast. Of course the Chrysler dealer network would go absolutely nuts if they did. But, maybe Chrysler, Ferrari and Fiat legal could work together to put together some sort of cooperative cross marketing agreement that would keep everyone happy.

My 2013 is TREMENDOUS in every way!! QUALITY-FIT-FINISH are exceptional!!!! It is under appreciated by the car magazines-lets give them a properly set up GTS-it will rank number one in just about every test!
Also-it is under marketed-it needs more exposure next to and with the higher end exotics it wants to draw sales from!
Here's a CRAZY idea-seeing we don't have a Woodhouse or Tomball in the Northeast-make a deal with Land Rover to have 10-20% of their showroom floor filled with SRT Viper's!!!!
If they can sell SUV's for $100-$150,000- than Im sure they can market the Viper to the same customer!
You never know-if sales don't improve-RADICAL idea's abound!!! I REALLY LOVE MY CAR AND IT's PERFORMANCE AND QUALITY ARE SECOND TO NONE!!!!!!!!!!
IT NEEDS TO SURVIVE AND THRIVE- todays the first day in 3 weeks it's rained so I left it home and Im going bonkers because I can't drive it home from work!!!!!
Sorry for the RANT!!

Last edited:

mikesax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
More than happy Mr. Nine Ball. You seem to drive as much as I do and you are "in the business" as well!! Its a shame people just seem to love to b**** and moan, I just love to drive!! The daily pleasure and excitement I get from firing up my Viper
is intoxicating!! Wishing you many many miles of exhilarating motoring!! Your reviews and insights are always spot on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper