Viper production slowed by one third due to sluggish sales

donk_316

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey!
As long as they squeak out an ACR before stopping production I will be onboard with G5 (please let this happen but i think the TA is the new ACR)

Although I guess the G5ACR will be about 150k.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't realize that people bought Vipers in the past because they represented a better performance value than the Corvette, and that they'll all buy Vettes instead if one is faster in the future! Some own both, some don't like Vettes for various reasons, some own multiple Vipers and will want the new one too, some love the new gen V but won't want to take the price hit of selling their current one to get the new one, some are waiting for the convertible or ACR.

Lots of non-owners seem disappointed, and they're probably disappointed in everything else out there too because instead of buying something else they just keep hanging around here turning this into the moaning forum. And they have to be disappointed in the price of all other cars at this level of performance which cost more than the Viper. I think a lot of enthusiasts know enough about so many cars and their weaknesses, real, perceived, or identified by journalists, that there really isn't anything that would satisfy them...not that most of the whiners are in the market for a car in this price range anyways, or anytime soon. Some of those who are in the market have chosen the Gen V and absolutely love it! And yes, they could have bought a Stingray...but didn't.

Lots of Vette issues and unhappy owners at the moment...

Rant over

I have owned Vipers and corvettes over the past 22 years and I currently own a ZR1. I was looking forward to buying a new Viper. I went to the unveiling in NYC spoke with Ralph about the performance of the car and possible performance parts and ECM calibration capabilities. He said yes they will be available and that they were working on a performance ECM.

Well... we know how that has turned out. Im disappointed that the new cars performance isnt much improved over the last. And nothing can be done about it.

So for now Ill keep my boring looking ZR1 that at least performs like a 100K plus car should.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So for now Ill keep my boring looking ZR1 that at least performs like a 100K plus car should.

Well I'm sure you wouldn't have bought it if it didn't. And while the Gen V obviously performs at its price and beyond, hopefully there will also be a PCM upgrade at some point for you and the many others who want that ability. I modified and increased power 37% on one track car and 73% on another to get the performance I wanted on road courses, so I get it. Part of the appeal of the Gen V is that it will perform better in every respect bone stock on a race track than those cars, and just about any other new car sold today... and at the lowest price of any of them. The Viper stands up to track use better than any of the Vettes as well from what I can gather. Motor Trend didn't divulge that the ZR1's brakes were toast after Randy's fast lap at Laguna Seca in testing with the Vipers...but that's the rags for you. Fortunately, both used Gen V's and ZR1's are now options for some.

Bruce

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a useless comparison. The C7 is a great car for a great price, but it is quite the same as a Viper. I'd have bought one if I didn't get a Viper, and who knows I may trade my Viper in for a ZR1 when it is out. Well, depending on what it does.

Interesting comment about this being a 'useless comparison'. This is exactly what the Lambo, Ferrari, R8, GT3 etc guys are talking about. They really don't care what the 'Dodge' can and will do performance wise. They know what they like and that's why they buy what they buy. To get them to consider the new Viper....it will take a whole lot more than performance numbers and 'hp value'

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper