3M Paint Defender... Anyone Tried it Out?

Talon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone tried 3M's new Paint Protector system? I'm thinking about using it on my Gen 2 viper to protect against nicks and chips, but I'd like to know if anyone has experience with it first. It seems to be safe?? I'm not sure how effective it is either. You can google it, but here is a short summary of the stuff if you guys haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4

Anyway I appreciate any feedback you all might have on it. I don't want to be the Guinea Pig. lol

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole success is the skill of the installer, can be a little artful especially around curves and how much to stretch...

Longhornsmark

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had whole car covered by self healing film. The guys name is Thom out of the Dallas area(pro-tectmobile), the guy did an A+ job on my car and drove to my house for the install. I'll attach his contact info and I promise you can't go wrong, I did tons of research before picking the right guy for the job.
Thom Pettigrew
> Pro-Tect Mobile
> 903-241-4132
> http://www.pro-tectmobile.com/

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I install paint protection film so I have kept an eye on the Defender Spray. I have seen a lot of negative feedback about it... especially in the Corvette forum. Most notably the spay does not come out even (so it doesn't go on smooth) and it has also come off when the vehicle is being washed or driven in the rain. Seemed like a good concept for someone who wants to drive their come home and then have film applied. It is not permanent... and so far the reviews I have read are not too good.

OP
OP
T

Talon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Venom good feedback. I like the idea of the Defender Spray, but I also imagine they made a sacrifice putting it into a "consumer ready" state like the spray can. I imagine the results are similar to spray painting a car vs. using an HVLP spray gun. Results will just be less than stellar. I wonder if they sell this stuff for use in HVLP guns because that might be a better option (I know how to do automotive paint).

@Longhornsmark, first off let me say... Hook 'Em. I am a longhorn myself. Second, can you give me an idea of the cost the guy charges? Is the self healing film a permanent add on or can it be removed cleanly as well?

Longhornsmark

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can go from a few hundred for front fascia to a couple of grand pretty quick for the entire car, I did the whole car to protect my paint and yes it does come off. There was an area that i didn't want an emblem and he removed fairly easy and installed a new piece without a cutout. The bugs and debris come of this film crazy easy, I went on a trip this weekend to Austin and back with all thg bugs and road tar I cleaned up and looking new again in 15 minutes. Give Thom a call and he will get you a quick estimate.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint Defender is 3M's version of Plasti-dip. The biggest difference is that it dries shiny instead of the matte finish of Dip. From what I've read, durability is about the same between the two.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Talon--
I tried out the "paint defender" on my daily driver('13 Explorer) and it worked great. Been on for 6 months. Trick is to carefully spray to avoid "runs" in the product. Dries crystal clear. I'm going to remove it soon just to see how easy it is to remove. My plan is to use it on my hot rods when I do trips and then remove it.--Dave

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few members down here who have done it with great success. We just did it to our new Ftype, and took 3 tries, but looks amazing now.

Protip: put more on than you think is right. Our attempts 1 was too light, attempt 2, forgot to pull the tape edging BEFORE it dried. Try 3, flawless.