Let's be real, what would it take? Only short answers please

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS-R look with 100hp NA......

buy a kia then, they all have 100hp na :)

all joking aside, srt marketing needs to attract new buys, as the old diehards will always buy. Think corvette offerings: a mild v8/v10 for the entry; a stout v10 for the diehard fan, and an off the wall large displacement FI for those of us nuts enough to buy it. This is the only way the viper will stay viable. Also, don't discount those that paid a premium for the above entry models by offering the looks to those of the near base models.

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlocked computer, some kind of " optional" or model specific FI, and CC brakes, that
Would be enough to regain it's title as the most
Powerful, best performing, and unapologetic supercar, south of a 500,000 dollar ultraexotic!!!!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mod packages from Mopar or aftermarket supported by Dodge, aka, unlock PCM. - this alone I'd be 95% to buy

Or

Vert. - this I'd be 95% to buy

Both, I'd order tomorrow.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mark. From the responses above, I would say allow it to be as modifiable as a Gen III was/is. That about sums it up.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an ACR owner, meaner looks.

I also was never a fan of the 2 models. A Viper is a Viper.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mark. From the responses above, I would say allow it to be as modifiable as a Gen III was/is. That about sums it up.

Delivered horsepower is not as important as potential horsepower (look at the Ford GTs). Even though many will never modify their cars, the potential to do so will increase value and resale down the road.

George

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the visible bolts in the wheel wells. ACR like the GTS-R.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, besides money, there is nothing. If I was in a financial position to buy one I would. If I had the money and were able to change one thing, hmm... Probably unlock the PCM. I wouldn't use the feature, but I would love to post videos of those who would use an unlocked PCM for bragging rights to friends!

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More exotic looking... It just looks too plain and a watered down version of the Gen 2.

^^^^^^^^^
I Second That!!.....

The Viper hasn't been out long enough to make a Retro Throw-Back design of the Gen 2...Compared to the New
C7....It looks dated....

....And Oh Yeah...I forgot....Some fog lights would be nice ( why not..the GTS-R has Em ). Fog lights shouldn't be an option on an 100k car...

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper when it came out in 92 was about a large engine with massive HP. 400 was a ton back then. Today it still has the massive engine, but HP is not where it needs to be, to be 'dominating'. With the Hellcat coming out pushing ~650hp potentially, the Viper needs to move to 750-800 like others have said.

Nothing makes headlines, stirs passion and emotion, and obliterates logic and good sense than 800 HP.

Do it. The rest of the car is perfect.

wirepaladin08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An ACR but not one with forty more horsepower than the ACR I now own. Somebody else mentioned it and I agree -- the HP number needs to start with a "7." And the car can't sell for $150K, either. Existing owners have too much tradition of the Viper being a lot of performance car for the dollars spent -- that image is now gone for many of us.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A return to the Viper fulfilling the image of alpha predator. That is what the car was conceived as and that image is still a winner.

envy-me

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Strip it down to the basics and make it as simple, light and cheap as practically possible. Remember, the Gen I didnt have a roof and windows, but it still sold plenty - Why? because for $50 grand (1992), nothing could touch it performance wise... yes, the magazines ripped it for this and that, but they always had to finish the article with something like "you cant have much more fun legally than this..." Dont try to make it what its not - its not a plush, quiet, comfy car for old rich guys that want an automatic and never will be. (thats what mercedes, audi and astons are for).

I own a gen II rt and love it for what it is. yes, its got its flaws, but its a DODGE. I expect a basic (read "cheap") interior and a motor that goes like a bat out of hell. Thats part of the charm!

Bottom line: Drop the ditch computer, fancy leather/carbon interior, nav and tech toys, multiple color combinations/wheel combos, etc. Offer 1 good car with 2-3 color choices so its Cheap and Fast. BEST bang for the buck is what most viper owners want i think.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is fine. If they want it to sell more (read: attract NEW customers and not existing/previous viper owners) they have to advertise more aggressively in the appropriate venues.

Also, totally disagree with the "It looks like a Gen 2 so it looks old" sentiment. The Gen 2 and now improved Gen 5 styling is timeless. It will look as awesome in 10-20 years as it does now. The C7 may have a "bold new design" but that look will not stand the test of time and it's ugly to begin with.

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
The car is fine. If they want it to sell more (read: attract NEW customers and not existing/previous viper owners) they have to advertise more aggressively in the appropriate venues.

Also, totally disagree with the "It looks like a Gen 2 so it looks old" sentiment. The Gen 2 and now improved Gen 5 styling is timeless. It will look as awesome in 10-20 years as it does now. The C7 may have a "bold new design" but that look will not stand the test of time and it's ugly to begin with.

Amen to that I love the Gen2 and the Gen5 connection!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think a lot more customization would be a home run. Make it the American Ferrari, where you can pick the color of deviated stitching, carpet color, headliner color, etc.

Make it more of a personalization experience.

While all of that costs money to the buyer, I bet Many would pay.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PeerBlock,

I was about to say the same thing, and I couldn't agree more. The styling of the GEN II and GEN V is timeless...it will stand the test of time. I believe the GEN II still looks **** after all these years, and I will have the same sentiment regarding the GEN V.

Unfortunately, I don't have the same opinion about the C7. I don't believe it will age well. Especially after we see legions of them roaming the streets. What's bold and edgy today will become passe quickly. I've already seen several on the streets, and there's a black-on-black Z51 in my development.

I like the GEN V as is. However, as far as possible changes are concerned, either unlock the ECU, or release the Mopar unit for those who want it. 640 hp is plenty for the street, but I realize bragging rights are important to many. I don't believe SRT had drag racing in mind when they designed the GEN V. Perhaps develop a "package" to satisfy that niche.

Finally, I've never been a fan of FI, but perhaps SRT & Mopar should develop a Paxton-style supercharger. Also, if SRT/Chrysler/FIAT green-light an GEN V ACR the supercharger should be an option along with aero and carbon ceramic brakes (optional). GTS-R styling would be ideal, but a stretch.

However, most importantly, Pirelli needs to complete the development of GEN V Trofeo tires. I believe the development mules, on similar tires, would have either equaled or surpassed the performance of the ZR1 at Laguna Seca, and I believe the production cars would have crushed the ZR1. The TA on Trofeo or Cup tire will be a monster, and I bet it would have erased tenths of a second off the Laguna Seca production car record. Heck! Even the SRT with worn-out/miss-matched tires outran some of the finest performance cars money can buy. Even the Ferrari F12.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry! I forgot about the short answers part. I'm not known for my brevity. I like the GEN V as is.