Considering a Viper, is it for me?

grunyon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings. The first thing my friend said when I told him I wanted a Viper is "You can join the Viper Club of America"

So here I am. I am considering buying a 1st-2nd generation Viper. I'm 24 and live in New Jersey. My job gives me a work truck that I use to commute to and from work. I just sold my full bolt on BMW 135i that I would use really only for fun... only driven once or twice a month. I was considering a brand new Mustang GT (with the 412hp 5.0), a Lotus Elise, a c6 corvette or a c5 z06. Then I noticed a few vipers in my price range. A few things concern me though...

Of course a lack of ABS, traction control, and airbags is kind of a bummer but that is fully overshadowed by this whole soft top not weatherproof no door handle thing. Coming from a noisy, slow Jeep wrangler that I hated the noisy, cold, cloudy windowed soft top on, I am worried. I hated how the zippers always got stuck and I hated the cloudy windows. Do you really need to unzip the window and reach in to open the door? Also I plan on keeping the Viper in my garage but if its going to get ruined the first time I'm caught out in the rain because of a soft top, no thanks.

I guess I really need to just go see one and learn how it works?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you drive one you won't care about any of those things. ;)

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper is nothing like any of the cars you've mentioned. It sounds as if you intend it to be your dd? If that's the case, get the mustang or vette.
Give this a read for some viper ownership insite;http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/630445-Keeping-new-Viper-owners-SAFE-a-How-To

I have a gen3 and a good friend a few blocks away (morris county, rockaway area) has a gen2 gts. If you're close we could set up something and introduce you to the cars and try to give you some direction.

OP
OP
G

grunyon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper is nothing like any of the cars you've mentioned. It sounds as if you intend it to be your dd? If that's the case, get the mustang or vette.
Give this a read for some viper ownership insite;http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/630445-Keeping-new-Viper-owners-SAFE-a-How-To

I have a gen3 and a good friend a few blocks away (morris county, rockaway area) has a gen2 gts. If you're close we could set up something and introduce you to the cars and try to give you some direction.

How close are you guys to Flemington?

Yeah it sounds like I need to look at a generation 2... I hear 1992 to 1999 have forged internals.. so I should probably stick with a 1996 to 1999?

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you drive one you won't care about any of those things. ;)

This. The car is an absolute blast. And if you're only driving it in nice weather you don't have to worry about the top and windows. I only put mine on for a road trip. I've been caught in the rain multiple times. The car didn't melt, and the fun I had on the road trips where it rained were totally worth it.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How close are you guys to Flemington?

Yeah it sounds like I need to look at a generation 2... I hear 1992 to 1999 have forged internals.. so I should probably stick with a 1996 to 1999?

Hei , wait what about abs I thought that was important:dunno:

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get a gen II. It is an absolute blast. The little creature comforts really help that you get with a Gen II opposed to a gen I. I give lots of respect to those that DD their vipers...I never would. G luck!

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 1999 GTS silver with blue stripes is the best looking Viper I ever saw. But I am very bias:D

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're wanting the PUREST of Vipers and want to get on the track with your pucker point being constantly tested, go for the Gen I ... it's a fantastic car that demands a dedicated owner that wants to be connected to the track, the car, the weather and the most beastly animal created. Want a little more comfort than that, go for a Gen II with A/C, ABS, electric windows ... more of a 'normal' car, but STILL a BEAST when you turn it loose on the track!

If you're looking for a daily driver (many Viper owners do just that), you have to decide whether smiling constantly is better than a cushy ride, soft clutch and having the same car as 1000's of others on the road.

Good luck on your search ... I'm sure a Viper will be in your future at some point if not now. The call of the serpent reaches deep into the soul!!