another looking to get a Viper thread

GTODAVE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I apologize in advance, as there are several threads on this topic. I have done some research already and am currently leaning towards a Gen III viper. A little about me I am 24 and currently have a 2005 GTO with full bolt ons and a stock 07 r1, and will be selling both to get an awesome weekend warrior and a ****** for a DD. I probably wont make my final decision until February or March (have to sell my cars still) but want to have all my home work done before then.
The cars that I am currently debating between are gen III viper, C6Z06 (06-07), a low mile ls3 vette, or a 09+ CTSV. My budget most likely will be 35-40k depending on a few things and how then next couple months go at work.

a few concerns I have with the Viper are as follows
1. the horror stories of People claiming how easy they are to crash. On my R1 I am fairly conservative and have only had 1 or 2 close calls that were my doing from pushing it too far over the past 2years and maybe one close call a year in my GTO. My biggest concern is that in a car I am a little more brave to push the limits.

2. The heat inside the cabin, now I Live in Phoenix Arizona and it will consistently be 115-120 degrees for months at a time. I have seen posts saying even when its 90 degrees the AC will keep up, Im worried about 110+

3.Maintanance is also a minor concern, besides tires and having to order a 55 gallon drum of oil to do 1 oil change what is the average life of the srt engine? what parts typically go out or break? How do part costs compare to the other vehicles I have listed? and FYI I'm somewhat handy with a wrench, anything I cant do my best friend who is a mechanic can do. So more worried about parts cost.

4.Most of the Vipers I see seem to be low mileage, if I plan on driving this vehicle 5000-7500 miles a year is that going to be bad. I live about 5 minutes from work and any distant driving I do will be all highway.

5. Last question for now, what is the most common mod done when first getting a viper? I will most likely have 3k to put into it within the first few months and was thinking full exhaust?

Thanks in advance for reading this

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe heat will def be an issue in Phoenix using it as a daily driver...jmo. The engine will outlast anything out there, and the maintenance is pretty straight forward. The most common mod is headers, the car's don't sound so good without them. You cannot compare the seat of the pants driving experience to the other cars, the Viper will blow them away. Maybe get a Vert due to the heat issue. It will still be hot, but you can handle it better with the top down.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They aren't that easy to crash if you have a decent touch for driving and use caution. Just get used to it before you start racing your friends or testing your skills on back roads. THe heat will def be an issue in Phoenix using it as a daily driver...jmo.  The engine will outlast anything out there, and the maintenance is pretty straight forward.  The most common mod is headers, the car's don't sound so good without them.  You cannot compare the seat of the pants driving experience to the other cars, the Viper will blow them away.  Maybe get a Vert due to the heat issue.  It will still be hot, but you can handle it better with the top down.  

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you change exhaust and have high flow cats it 's a lot cooler, also another good mod is a tune and 3.55 gears, it will be another different animal!!

OP
OP
G

GTODAVE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far, I will not daily drive it I will have a car that is my "commuter" so to say that will be driven whenever I may hit traffic I just don't want to buy a car that only gets driven 3 times a month lol. I was thinking stock for the first 3 months to get used to the car and then headers, followed by a tune followed by gears.

04 SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Price insurance first. Geico is pretty decent. I pay an extra 75 a month for mine at 26. The headers and full exhaust definitely liven the sound up and make the heat bare able. I just sold my 3.55 that came in the trunk of my car, so I can't say anything about them. Did not feel like paying to have them installed plus taking it farther from stock. You might need to adjust your price a little depending on how many miles you're willing to have and how long you're willing to wait to find the right car. This is my third viper and will probably go with a GTS or 06 coupe next. Amazing cars.

OP
OP
G

GTODAVE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
already priced insurance, I am an agent with usaa so already ran quotes on all the vehicles only 20 more a month then the goat, and from what I could tell looks like I can get a 03 with 20-30kmiles for around 35k. I don't mind having to fly or drive to go pick something up. I will also be purchasing a DD in December or January so I wont be in a rush. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now just so I have the least amount of surprises

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III Vipers have pretty good air conditioning. They will struggle with 115 heat, especially if you have parked in the sun, but it really works much, much better than previous generations.

Maintenance is really reasonable. Biggest expense is $100 oil changes using Mobile 1. DIY, of course is much cheaper. Brakes, fuel, insurance are all reasonable, and maintenance is far less than most other exotics.

Gen IIIs are pretty good daily drivers, but like most sports cars are a bit more difficult to get in and out of, and since they are pretty low, you gotta watch the speed bumps and take steep driveways at an angle.

The biggest hoot in a Viper is the connected driving experience. Big torque from V-10 and 6 speed manual really connect you to the car. You feel what it is doing, and tend to keep pretty focused of your driving, and daydreaming is usually done more when looking at your Viper than when driving it.

If you have an inexpensive daily driver, you have the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
G

GTODAVE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have a daily driver a Honda civic or ford explorer, and with riding an r1 in a big city im aware of always paying attention lol, and on the r1 things can turn from awesome to oh **** in a big hurry if not paying attention assuming the viper will be the same way