2015 Z06 specs leaked 620hp/650tq

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for heat soak, I agree, it's over rated. I've been dropping superchargers on my cars since 1989 and these days heat soak just isn't a major factor.

Tracking the viper is great, but everyone expects you to be fast. I love tracking my '14 GT500, with 710rwhp and lightweight monoblocks wrapped in MPSSs, I lap the field. On a 100 degree brutal day, if I'm dropping 65hp to heat I'm still pushing about 640rwhp and NA engines heat soak on a brutal day also. It's just extra fun when guys at the drivers mtg nicely remind me with my slow-stang to keep an eye on the rear view so they can get around me safely and then go out and I lap them within 20 mins. I mean that in a fun way. Everyone underestimates FI cars and on the track they see that power is power, throw in some decent handling and for the hobbyist it makes for one fast ride. High capacity, high flow inter coolers, high efficiency blowers, oil coolers, it's not the 80s and 90s anymore, my brakes start fading at 20 mins which is my only issue vs any heat soak, weakness is stopping, not going.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers. Id love to know the projected weight and tire choice at this point just to get an idea of the whole package. I think it will be no less than the MPSC's off the prior ZR1 for tires. If they go even lighter than the outgoing ZR1 with the C7 Z06 then oh boy. GM will probably undercut the Viper money-wise too which could hurt Viper sales even more.

Cant wait to see the body work this beast will have.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised they went supercharged. I would have preferred a lightweight, normally aspirated Vette like the C6 Z06. Supercharger = car weighs more and may suffer from heat soak on a hot day and a lot of laps. Still, this will be one impressive Corvette.

This. However I've read numerous times that Chevy was not comfortable squeezing out any more NA HP without compromising long term reliability. Their options were bigger displacement or FI. FI is the easy way out.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling this going to crush the Viper in performance. Hopefully I'm wrong.

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This. However I've read numerous times that Chevy was not comfortable squeezing out any more NA HP without compromising long term reliability. Their options were bigger displacement or FI. FI is the easy way out.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling this going to crush the Viper in performance. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It will be exciting to see the complete package and then all track the comparisons. I think for certain it will impact Viper sales in the short term. I was guessing it would come in with a base price of 85-90, but now that GM set an outrageous price on the Z28 at 75K, 90k is looking like the very minimum.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I get the same feeling too especially if the weight is kept down. 90k-ish and Viper tying or beating performance could be even worse for Viper sales especially if it looks as good as the wide body renders have been looking. Still a bit early obviously for any conclusive notions on its performance but with those hp specs and if GM brings its A game, the Z06 will own a ton of high end hi-po cars performance-wise not just the Viper. It will be VERY interesting to see how SRT responds. Cant wait.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I get the same feeling too especially if the weight is kept down. 90k-ish and Viper tying or beating performance could be even worse for Viper sales especially if it looks as good as the wide body renders have been looking. Still a bit early obviously for any conclusive notions on its performance but with those hp specs and if GM brings its A game, the Z06 will own a ton of high end hi-po cars performance-wise not just the Viper. It will be VERY interesting to see how SRT responds. Cant wait.

It's funny how there's a tendency of Vette guys to be easier on the Viper than Viper guys, and Viper guys easier on the Vette than Vette guys LOL.

While I'm sure the Z06 is going to be a beast and will give us a run for our money, saying that it's going to crush the Viper in performance is doubtful. I remember exxagerated predictions about the C7 with Z51. I heard numerous times that it's faster than the C6 Z06. Well, Randy Pobst drove the C7 Z51 to a Laguna Seca lap time of 1:38.28, which puts it at 18th fastest. Mediocre. C6 Z06 is 5th fastest at 1:34.43, that's about 4 seconds difference, so much for that lofty prediction. ZR1 is 2nd at 1:33.70, and Viper TA is 1st at 1:33.62. My prediction is that the C7 Z06 will weigh more than the C6 Z06, probably more than the Viper, and will turn competitive lap times with the Viper and ZR1, possibly even narrowly beating them. But crushing the Viper is not going to happen. It's going to be close, but there won't be a blowout. Looking forward to seeing this play out.

What I would love to see is a Viper TA Vs. C7 Z06, but with the Viper wearing new Trofeo R shoes. The Trofeo Rs should hopefully have similar tire grip as the new Sport Cups, so it would be quite a contest :headbang:

Last edited:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if it will affect Viper sales that much really. I still think the cars are so different in nature, and close enough in performance, that buyers will choose based on nature. I just ordered a TA in December knowing the Z06 was going to be shown a month later...fully expecting the Z06's performance to be superior in a number of ways. Why didn't I wait...because the super popular post 1967 Corvette has never appealed to me enough to give it a second look, it's way too mainstream to have the unique and special feel that I always choose, and this time around I really craved a stronger wild personality than ever before. Will it matter if instrumented testing concludes that the Z06 is a little better, that the Viper might be relegated to 2nd quickest at Laguna Seca...hell no! That won't take away from my pride or enjoyment in the least...and that first place honor is likely to swap marques with each new generation, if not each next iteration of the existing generations.

The automotive media exists to compare the latest and cater to those that get caught up in the stats and like to dwell on them. Where Motor Trends last place ranking for the Viper in it's Best Drivers Car issue gave lots of those people reason to criticize the car, others new it was a load of nonsense and knew the car (one in proper condition) belonged at or near the top. Most of what we see and hear is influenced by those who are not in the market for a low production, hand built, track ready, 600+ hp and torque, minimally nannied, elemental and engaging, looks to die for, exhaust to wake the dead, ergonomics for the determined, and priced from $100,000 impractical toy. I think all of that has a much bigger effect on Viper sales than what the next Vette will be all about. If I hadn't bought the Viper, I certainly would have looked for another car that shared some of those characteristics, and it wouldn't have been a Corvette. It's a great car for sure, just not what I was looking for...and likely not for all those happy Gen V owners that think there's is absolutely spectacular!

To suggest in any way that the tiny part of the market that ever truly fit the Viper's mission will suddenly want a Corvette based on an increase in performance just seems like too much of a stretch to my way of thinking, although I expect that many who aren't really into the Viper will find the Vette the more appealing car. I actually think the Vette would be a perfect sports car for my wife's needs driving back and forth to work in good weather, and would probably choose the Z06 to make it a little more special.

Bruce

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how there's a tendency of Vette guys to be easier on the Viper than Viper guys, and Viper guys easier on the Vette than Vette guys LOL.

While I'm sure the Z06 is going to be a beast and will give us a run for our money, saying that it's going to crush the Viper in performance is doubtful. I remember exxagerated predictions about the C7 with Z51. I heard numerous times that it's faster than the C6 Z06. Well, Randy Pobst drove the C7 Z51 to a Laguna Seca lap time of 1:38.28, which puts it at 18th fastest. Mediocre. C6 Z06 is 5th fastest at 1:34.43, that's about 4 seconds difference, so much for that lofty prediction. ZR1 is 2nd at 1:33.70, and Viper TA is 1st at 1:33.62. My prediction is that the C7 Z06 will weigh more than the C6 Z06, probably more than the Viper, and will turn competitive lap times with the Viper and ZR1, possibly even narrowly beating them. But crushing the Viper is not going to happen. It's going to be close, but there won't be a blowout. Looking forward to seeing this play out.

What I would love to see is a Viper TA Vs. C7 Z06, but with the Viper wearing new Trofeo R shoes. The Trofeo Rs should hopefully have similar tire grip as the new Sport Cups, so it would be quite a contest :headbang:

I guess it's because we tend to be tougher on our loved ones because we expect more from them than just mere acquaintances. :)

Pure speculation on my part. I too want to see the Viper shod in trofeos vs anything under 500k especially the upcoming z06. My thinking though premature, was based on the hp/tq numbers, what may be a healthier tq curve due to FI and GM stating it will be the most track worthy Vette ever has me thinking weight may be down. But talk is cheap as you mentioned with the talk of the Z51 C7 being faster than the C6 Z.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
One thing for certain is that our Vipers will not be on every street as the Vette will. I remember seeing the ZR1 for the first time and it looked like every other Vette until I took a closer look. I'm not sure as a buyer I'd like to spend ZR1 $ and not be as distinctive as the Viper is. ---Dave

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even NA cars (especially those making large hp numbers NA) suffer heat soak. I think this phrase gets tossed around too often, without people fully understanding it. I've had a few supercharged cars, including a C6Z06. Yes, it would perform slightly slower when fully hot, but once it reached that lower performance, it wouldn't get any worse than that. It isn't like the car would do worse with every lap or every pass, or every dyno run. It would hit operating temp and then maintain what it had, at those temps. On a road course, 620 is far more power than traction can control. Even if heat soaked down to 580 hp, it will still run very well on the track or drag strip.

This car may be called a Z06, but it is actually a ZR1 replacement. I'd expect it to perform about the same as the current ZR1, and also cost over $100,000. It will be a sweet car, and I'll probably end up with one. It won't replace my Vipers, though.

Tony

Agree on everything but the price. The LS7 was a HUGE heat soaker as are many of the LS motors. I don't think it will be any worse than those. It will lose power, and then maintain the lost power level, but I doubt huge overheating problems I.E. early GT-R's.

I agree, the Z51 hype was unfounded. It's not on the same level as the Centennial C6Z. I think when GM said C6Z performance they meant the early Z's on run craps, in which case the performance is similar. However the Z51 was not on MPSC, which I would believe to be 2-3 seconds faster at laguna than a non -R-comp. So you could bet it would be low 36's if not 35's at Laguna. Still not the Z though which is why I agree.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing for certain is that our Vipers will not be on every street as the Vette will. I remember seeing the ZR1 for the first time and it looked like every other Vette until I took a closer look. I'm not sure as a buyer I'd like to spend ZR1 $ and not be as distinctive as the Viper is. ---Dave

If exclusivity is the only remaining reason to own a Viper the brand is sunk.

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In March or so, SRT will be revealing the Hellcat Challenger. It is a beast. The straight line purists are going to be very, very pleased.

SRT needs to make available the Hellcat's supercharger as an aftermarket add on for the Gen V Viper. This would open up the Gen V to a whole new market of customers and keep the 2015 Z06 in the rear view mirror where it belongs!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, you guys are hilarious. car hasn't even hit a public track yet and it is doom and gloom.

being FI, it maybe able to set a lap record somewhere once the tires warm up, but shortly after that it will be heat soaked. To me this has only been built like it is to make bench racers happy, as some of the commentary on the C7Z06 forum seem to be upset it is FI (track rats).

I fully expect this car to be in the $95k+ range. Chevy is charging $75k for a track ready Camaro, $20 more for the track ready Vet isn't crazy.

Time shall tell how it all shakes out. I think if SRT can get better tires, it will leave the C7Z in the dust.

Granted, I'll want one - but I wouldn't trade my Viper for it.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they want even $80k it should at least have a decent paint job. The C7 paint jobs have big time orange peel.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well thankfully that isn't the case, and couldn't be further from the truth.

2013 certainly had its challenges, and about the only reminder of that is some older inventory yet to be sold. Great values for the buyer who was willing to wait.

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lame ass excuse.

Exactly.

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they want even $80k it should at least have a decent paint job. The C7 paint jobs have big time orange peel.

Always has, along with a multitude of other issues that would sink the viper if srt ever let those cars off the line. Hell, the current stingray has hood issues so bad they are running cars down the line with mismatched hoods. Its the price you pay for hand crafted vs. cookie cutter assembly line. That said, I may be in the market for a new z if they widen the body out like they did with the c7r. The current stingray looks way too narrow and makes the body lines look horrible.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this thread is about the Vette, shouldn't it be in the "Driven" subforum?

I agree with the poster above that we need to wait for the testing to see what's what.

In the meantime, the competition between the brands is great. But for Corvette and Viper constantly challenging each other, there is no way we would have the vehicles being produced today.

It would be great to see an annual flag football game or basketball game between the SRT Engineers and Corvette Engineers in a venue where we could be invited and attend for a reasonable admission fee and the proceeds donated to charity. I think it would sell out every year. It could be called "The American Muscle Bowl" or something similar.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this thread is about the Vette, shouldn't it be in the "Driven" subforum?

I agree with the poster above that we need to wait for the testing to see what's what.

In the meantime, the competition between the brands is great. But for Corvette and Viper constantly challenging each other, there is no way we would have the vehicles being produced today.

It would be great to see an annual flag football game or basketball game between the SRT Engineers and Corvette Engineers in a venue where we could be invited and attend for a reasonable admission fee and the proceeds donated to charity. I think it would sell out every year. It could be called "The American Muscle Bowl" or something similar.

Forget flag football.....I recommend rugby!! That'll get the juices flowing :eater::eater::eater:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On this subject I've been making a point to check for orange peel over the past few years on exotics and luxury cars. 458s, F12s both have noticeable orange peel. Gallardo has orange peel. Most Mercedes have orange peel. The only two cars I've seen recently without orange peel are a buddy's Murcielago SV and an Enzo I saw at a car show. Obviously some are worse than others, but it shocked me to see it in $300k cars. Relatively speaking, the Viper has excellent paint.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On this subject I've been making a point to check for orange peel over the past few years on exotics and luxury cars. 458s, F12s both have noticeable orange peel. Gallardo has orange peel. Most Mercedes have orange peel. The only two cars I've seen recently without orange peel are a buddy's Murcielago SV and an Enzo I saw at a car show. Obviously some are worse than others, but it shocked me to see it in $300k cars. Relatively speaking, the Viper has excellent paint.
Ferraris have notoriously terrible paint jobs (unless you get a more expensive paint option, then it is farmed out)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ff-f12/425786-rubbish-paint-again.html

read that thread and cringe.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say that every Viper I've seen from every generation has had beautiful rich deep looking factory paint. It's one of the things that sets a Viper apart imo.

The paint on all the C7's I've seen is just awful. Most vette guys concur.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say that every Viper I've seen from every generation has had beautiful rich deep looking factory paint. It's one of the things that sets a Viper apart imo.

The paint on all the C7's I've seen is just awful. Most vette guys concur.
Yeah I've been reading the C7 forums and - lord - what a cluster.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I posted the pics of my white Gen 5 next to the white C7, people griped about my hood gaps being off. They couldn't see all the orange peel and panel alignment issues the C7 had in person. I got my hood gaps fixed at the dealership, with simple adjustments. The C7 still has orange peel and panel alignment issues. Just sayin'

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to pile on but I was at Spring Mountain during the C7 launch event. The paint was pretty bad and panels were not lining up well. I didn't put a lot of stock in this because they were pre production or early production. Hopefully they're addressing these issues

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to pile on but I was at Spring Mountain during the C7 launch event. The paint was pretty bad and panels were not lining up well. I didn't put a lot of stock in this because they were pre production or early production. Hopefully they're addressing these issues

I think you get what you pay for. Corvettes are pretty cheap for how well they perform. When I was new car shopping last year I was really surprised at how bad the paint is on so many new cars. The BMWs in particular stood out as being pretty poor for how much they cost.

The Viper may not have the best fit and finish in the industry, but the paint is outstanding, especially the Stryker Red. Even my Gen 3 Viper has a pretty amazing paint job for a factory produced sub $100,000 car.

~Jay

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for heat soak, I agree, it's over rated. I've been dropping superchargers on my cars since 1989 and these days heat soak just isn't a major factor.

Both NA and FI cars can lose power as outdoor temps increase, but temperature and humidity do have magnified effects on FI vehicles compared to NA because compressing air heats it. I notice a huge difference in power on my turbo vehicles on a hot day vs a mild day, while the power loss on my NA vehicles is barely noticeable.

The Viper may not have the best fit and finish in the industry, but the paint is outstanding, especially the Stryker Red. Even my Gen 3 Viper has a pretty amazing paint job for a factory produced sub $100,000 car.

The Gen 5 has what is arguably the best fit-n-finish for this type of car in the industry right now. Any customer should demand the highest quality paint job on a car approaching or costing more than 6 figures...can't see buying a $80K+ vette to end up with a Aveo-quality paint job.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both NA and FI cars can lose power as outdoor temps increase, but temperature and humidity do have magnified effects on FI vehicles compared to NA because compressing air heats it. I notice a huge difference in power on my turbo vehicles on a hot day vs a mild day, while the power loss on my NA vehicles is barely noticeable.
Not from my experience. If the FI car has a proper cooling system it should not be affected by weather as much. In the summer my SRT Jeep (NA) is considerably slower the the X5M (TT) and a little slower than the Cayenne Turbo and ML63 (TT). In the winter however my Jeep is faster than the Cayenne Turbo and neck and neck with an X5M.

Summer SRT Jeep runs 13.1 winter runs 12.6
Summer X5M runs 12.5 winter runs 12.45

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4