TA selling well, soon to be selling out...and it's no surprise why

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interest and demand for the TA seems to have reached critical mass, and just about every day a member announces he's bought one or is seriously considering one on this forum or others. This is great news for SRT and all Viper owners. SRT's Viper launch obviously had challenges but the TA seemed to come out of the gate very strong, and the media has responded with universal praise and approval. The first orange TA'***** the dealerships just before year's end, the blacks shortly after, and I'm sure the whites will be landing soon.

For me, the TA combined all the right stuff for my weekend track days and limited street use. I was most concerned with braking, wanted the most robust brake components from the parts bin, and they're only available on the TA. Next was the ability to have multiple ESC modes, and while I haven't had them in the past, or chose to turn them off, the non-invasive Track DSC mode on the GTS and TA sounded ideal (thanks Venom V!). And I liked the idea of the dual suspension modes for my dual uses. The TA was the only model to offer all three of these, and I may not have chosen any Viper if I couldn't get the TA with these features.

The TA also has the track optimized suspension, wheels and tires, the exterior aero spoilers parts, and some extra carbon fiber and cosmetic touches, but much of that can be ordered seperately along with doing a track alignment. But the TA designation was immortalized at Laguna Seca, and it being a limited edition, makes it a very desirable model, and a raging bargain as an over-achieving exotic. Surely it'll be a much better investment at resale time than trying to modify another model. I would think that anyone who wants to track the car would agree that the TA is a no-brainer...if they can give up some of that supple leather and a half a dozen speakers. I doubt anyone would argue that the non-slip and breathable ballistic fabric isn't an excellent choice for road and track.

But even if you put all those reasons aside, it just seems to me that the TA nails the performance image of the Viper since the beginning. It's as gorgeous, exotic and exclusive as ever, performs better than ever before, it's stylish interior is much improved, and it's minimal concessions to technology actually enhance its engaging driving experience. I think that's what was needed to attract both cross-shoppers and many current hard-core Viper owners and enthusiasts. I hope SRT uses this formula again soon as these TA's are going to quickly become extinct. While orange is the signature color, both white and black are stunning and understated with their orange accents. I can`t help but think these will all sell out quickly...and when they`re gone they`re gone.

It`ll be interesting to see how the TA does in the up-coming C&D Lightning Lap competition, and whether there will be many TA`s even available for sale by then!

Bruce

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the TA sold so well, mainly because there was one single configuration. Most people buying $100k+ cars will want to specify the options they want. A dealer "predicating" what someone wants dropping $140k on the car, well, ain't going to work IMHO.

Where the TA, is a 3 color option car. Dealers are free to order and don't have to worry about much config wise. I think that really helped (all reasons aside it being an awesome car)

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Chinese New Year prediction is that the TA will win this year's Lightning Lap and sold out within days of the article. Value will double, but none of the TA owners will sell even at $200K+, then value will top $300K.:lmao:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up Bruce. I picked up my Black TA on December 22. It must have been among the first TAs delivered to a dealer and evidently the first Black one. It is an inspired design and an incredible performance vehicle. It is by far and away, based on any objective design criteria, the best looking vehicle in its segment.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA s are right on the looks,performance and money were a Viper should be.Most of the issues with the Gen.5 would have not happened with the greedy dealers and SRT would have sold all they could make.But,better late than never...The Black TA is Bad Ass and should run with the best of them for sure...

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the TA sold so well, mainly because there was one single configuration. Most people buying $100k+ cars will want to specify the options they want. A dealer "predicating" what someone wants dropping $140k on the car, well, ain't going to work IMHO.

Where the TA, is a 3 color option car. Dealers are free to order and don't have to worry about much config wise. I think that really helped (all reasons aside it being an awesome car)

Well I know I would have been in trouble if the TA was available with options...and I'd still be trying to decide. I couldn't even pick a color given only three choices! The orange was way out of my conservative comfort zone, although its good looks and signature color did win me over, I love black but already have a Supra TT in black, and white while gorgeous has never been my thing. I'd have agonized over the 2 subwoofers or 4 audio system, and be complaining if I couldn't order carbon fiber rear brake ducts seperately. And when I could only order a black one in Canada I'd have probably chosen the polished Sidewinder to avoid the murdered out look.

So in the end I ordered a car partly configured by someone else in a different way than what I'd have chosen, I couldn't be happier about it, and it being a very limited edition meant I didn't have to try to figure out how to improve on perfection. So I'm going to go with the TA being a limited edition as the reason I was able to decide to order it the way someone else chose...which I think makes your point.

Bruce

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Black TA is Bad Ass and should run with the best of them for sure...

I think the TA in black and white are real sleepers, with people first noticing them because the Viper is stunning in every color, and then when they see that little TA decal they've be like WHAT!!! OMG GET A PICTURE!!! And that's just at the track :)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt, I'd have ordered the TA if I knew it were coming out before I ordered my SRT Track Pack. To me, it is the perfect Viper. Especially since it was only $10K more than my nicely optioned cruiser SRT car.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I there still any doubt the TA should have been THE Viper to begin with? If there ends up being an acr you now have the acr srt gts and ta. Absolutely ridiculous for a limited model niche vehicle.

Viper and acr. Period.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt, I'd have ordered the TA if I knew it were coming out before I ordered my SRT Track Pack. To me, it is the perfect Viper. Especially since it was only $10K more than my nicely optioned cruiser SRT car.
Marketing plans it this way. Never put your big guns out for sale right away, but slowly lead up to it. And if the new talk at SRT about a GT version comes out, the TA will be somewhat in the background.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zThere are sixteen variants of the 911 on sale now, and that's not counting the GT2 or RS versions. I think ppl like selection.

The 911 was not discontinued and does not serve the same client base. Nor are sales struggling right now. And in that group of 911 you have awd, rwd, narrowbody, wide body, manual, pdk, turbo, na, gt, sporty, numerous power train and drive train configurations. Their are actual significant changes that are not just an interior, brakes and small aero pieces and giving it a new name.

There are not complaints of paneling gap, burning calfs, hot legs poor seats and scary handling. Those complaints will kill enthusiasm for a 100-140k car.

The gts is almost like a budget viper. For 100k. You honestly think the Viper will survive like this? Especially if they don't build your 250k Super viper?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are sixteen variants of the 911 on sale now, and that's not counting the GT2 or RS versions. I think ppl like selection.
yes, but most 911 are custom orders, not cars collecting dust on dealer lots.

Being able to option out is great, the problem is dealers deciding what to order.

If I am dropping over $100k, I want exactly what I want, or a deep discount

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too many options can in fact be a bad idea for sales. Sometimes consumers don't want to make decisions beyond a few options; other times the availability of expensive options makes them desire a car they can't afford as configured. This problem is compounded even further when the dealer network has to predict which options people want and which they don't.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your **** posts and **** attitude really get old after a while. Why not funnel your energy into helping sell obama care. Bruce starts a meaningful thread and you try to turn it to crap..Try and be original, start a thread, prove to us you are not a dick.

I there still any doubt the TA should have been THE Viper to begin with? If there ends up being an acr you now have the acr srt gts and ta. Absolutely ridiculous for a limited model niche vehicle.

Viper and acr. Period.

Last edited:

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well said Bruce.

and guys i see more porches than Toyota this days.

ill buy a Toyota thought lol.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marketing plans it this way. Never put your big guns out for sale right away, but slowly lead up to it. And if the new talk at SRT about a GT version comes out, the TA will be somewhat in the background.

Just to clarify, the GT package has nothing to do with the prototype aero parts displayed on the Stryker Green show car.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. Interesting for a couple of reason.

1) the Perception that the TA is a hot commodity and going to sell out soon. I actually don't know if there is data to suggest this is true. There are roughly about 20 for sale on the market right now all at or below MSRP, so not sure if that is a statement dealers know how better to sell the cars or if they are actually not selling super well? I just don't know.
2) Perceptions created by magazines - I have always felt bogus and who really does their car purchase decisions based upon a writer, but maybe it does make a big difference? Atleast from a perception basis and maybe from actual sales.
3) overall, if the above both are true, I am surprised by the product doing it. 120k with a less nice interior, limited to 3 colors, and no options. I love the new brakes rotors and the the stiffer springs/suspension and even the aero bits, but surprising me how folks have the perception it is a magical new car that is somehow the definition of the viper when the GTS with track pack ran virtually the same times without the aero bits.

I am a track guy so totally appreciate the car, but because of no options, it would not be the car I would choose. Not because I don't think it is great, but more because it only comes one way missing options I would like to have.

I guess my question to the new TA owners, I get the Orange purchases if you love that color, your only option. But if you wanted black or white, why purchase the TA vs either a loaded SRT for less or a GTS for the same price (easy to get). In particular, you could get a GTS with the aero bits track pack with nicer interior for roughly the same price, so why the TA? Just trying to understand what the trigger point was because performance wasn't it and price I don't think was it. Seriously, not trying to stir anything, just trying to better understand.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. Interesting for a couple of reason.

1) the Perception that the TA is a hot commodity and going to sell out soon. I actually don't know if there is data to suggest this is true. There are roughly about 20 for sale on the market right now all at or below MSRP, so not sure if that is a statement dealers know how better to sell the cars or if they are actually not selling super well? I just don't know.
2) Perceptions created by magazines - I have always felt bogus and who really does their car purchase decisions based upon a writer, but maybe it does make a big difference? Atleast from a perception basis and maybe from actual sales.
3) overall, if the above both are true, I am surprised by the product doing it. 120k with a less nice interior, limited to 3 colors, and no options. I love the new brakes rotors and the the stiffer springs/suspension and even the aero bits, but surprising me how folks have the perception it is a magical new car that is somehow the definition of the viper when the GTS with track pack ran virtually the same times without the aero bits.

I am a track guy so totally appreciate the car, but because of no options, it would not be the car I would choose. Not because I don't think it is great, but more because it only comes one way missing options I would like to have.

I guess my question to the new TA owners, I get the Orange purchases if you love that color, your only option. But if you wanted black or white, why purchase the TA vs either a loaded SRT for less or a GTS for the same price (easy to get). In particular, you could get a GTS with the aero bits track pack with nicer interior for roughly the same price, so why the TA? Just trying to understand what the trigger point was because performance wasn't it and price I don't think was it. Seriously, not trying to stir anything, just trying to better understand.

The TA isn't really that much different than the SRT/GTS, I think it is a great marketing ploy in the end.

I think if the SRT and GTS at Laguna had aero it would have been a lot closer.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA broke the LS record. Its performance was/is a proven to my satisfaction. It was/is a visual and mechanical combination of elements that seemed perfect from my point of view. When I went up to look at it one hour after it was delivered to the dealer on 12/21/13, it was love at first hiss. That is why it came home with me the next day.

As I said in my thread on my TA, sometimes a design and engineering team hits a home run. To me, the TA is one of those times.

rollymohan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
pick up my orange TA 2 days ago and that orange you must see close up to really see how beautiful that car is.the brakes is well balance and stops on the dime.car drives great and i did not feel any heat like some says however cruising on the highway you will have to deal with the exhaust noises.i wish the pipes were at the back ,however when i am not on the highways i love the sound of the exhaust when accelerating

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your post. I'm sure you aren't the only one that doesn't understand the difference between an SRT/GTS and the TA, so let me try to address each of your comments.

Recent posted CAAP photos show a very large portion of production is the TA's, and they are also being delivered in those large quantities, and mostly to 3 or 4 volume dealers. That means inventory is high at those dealers only, and those dealers do discount to move the large quantities they order. The discounts they offer on the TA seem to be very minimal, and a token gesture compared to discounts offered on cars they have had a hard time selling. Discounts up to $35,000 on GTS models are 7 times greater than the best TA discount I've heard of at $5k.

Since we can't test drive Vipers on race tracks ourselves it makes sense to consider feedback from experienced and reputable race car drivers like Randy Pobst. He drove final production models of the SRT and GTS at Laguna Seca when setting the lap record in the TA. He was impressed how improved the production cars were, and how the TA was still clearly superior from a handling and driver confidence perspective, even though it wasn't "that" much faster. To go "any" faster at that rarified level is impressive, and it would be naive to think that only one of the many performance upgrades on the TA was responsible for the improvements to handling and lap times. His comments about the TA confirm what any track rat would fully expect, but was most significant in that it exposed how good the SRT and GTS was after pre-production cars didn't meet expectations for various reasons.

The TA is clearly the most track focused model at the moment. It's interior reflects its mission, and is actually superior for that purpose than the leather interiors. Its styling is basically the same as the other models, but with preferred seating surfaces and lighter weight with manual adjustments. There are extensive differences between a TA and GTS with Track Pack, and a big difference between running one fast lap and an entire day running fast laps that the Laguna Seca lap times do not reflect.

SRT has included every higher performance part on the TA, with a number of them being exclusive to it, so you must value other features more. That's fine, and hopefully SRT offers the options that you want on another model.

A GTS fully loaded with optional and extra cost Sidewinder wheels, Corsa tires, SRT 6 vent hood and aero package still lack the best brakes, stiffer springs, stiffer sway bars, specific damper valving, track alignment and more track oriented seats. Lesser differences would be that the GTS also wouldn't have the lighter weight carbon fiber cross brace and sound insulation. And while not performance oriented, the GTS also wouldn't have the included carbon fiber rear fascia, and wouldn't be a numbered car. All the same differences apply when comparing the SRT, plus it lacks the multi mode ESC.

You can see that all adds up to an incredible value on the TA... if top performance is your goal. But again, if luxury or something else is more your speed then the TA likely wouldn't make any sense for you. I hope that helps you understand what the TA is all about, and why it would appeal to many.

Bruce

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your **** posts and **** attitude really get old after a while. Why not funnel your energy into helping sell obama care. Bruce starts a meaningful thread and you try to turn it to crap..Try and be original, start a thread, prove to us you are not a dick.

You are the one losing your mind over a simple post.... My posts have been positive concerning the Viper. I think most here would agree that the Viper would be in a better place were the TA the release vehicle. So as not to derail the thread I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you. But I could care less what you think. Just so you know.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think SRT just needed their release vehicles to be better sorted when given to the media. The TA had the benefit of months of tweaking across the the whole line before it's main media launch in the fall, and months of tweaking since it ran Laguna Seca in Feb, and some second year upgrades. Hard to say how good or bad it would have been reviewed had it come out first, but it definitely wouldn't have been as good as all the pre-release reviews reported in the fall.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, do you think they would have been better off delaying the tests? Let's not forget Randy Probst subsequently tested again after the debacle and private test with all 3 version and the times were back to being where they were the first time. I think the performance tests have not helped either really until the TA came around.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The history of the tests is interesting but was beaten to death in another thread. It's fair to assume that we witnessed some marketing teething of a new Brand with a new product. The excitement generated at the New York launch showed that the product itself was never the issue. SRT now appears to have their marketing act together. Going forward, I expect to see that function honed and improved even more. Congrats SRT. It was not an easy thing to do in the hypercritical world of social media we live in today.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, do you think they would have been better off delaying the tests? Let's not forget Randy Probst subsequently tested again after the debacle and private test with all 3 version and the times were back to being where they were the first time. I think the performance tests have not helped either really until the TA came around.

I wouldn't want to second guess SRT, and in hindsight they would surely do it differently. There would have been intense pressure to do it when they did to hit the spring sales season. Just unfortunate all the way around, and as they say, "You only get one chance to make a first impression", and SRT's been struggling with that reality ever since.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bruce H nailed it.

The TA is what I personally wanted in a new Viper. I didn't want, or need the bells and whistles of a GTS.
It's just my opinion, but the TA is what SRT should have originally introduced as their base model. I think the reviews/press would have been more favorable and you wouldn't have all the high dollar inventory sitting in dealer showrooms.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your post. I'm sure you aren't the only one that doesn't understand the difference between an SRT/GTS and the TA, so let me try to address each of your comments.

Recent posted CAAP photos show a very large portion of production is the TA's, and they are also being delivered in those large quantities, and mostly to 3 or 4 volume dealers. That means inventory is high at those dealers only, and those dealers do discount to move the large quantities they order. The discounts they offer on the TA seem to be very minimal, and a token gesture compared to discounts offered on cars they have had a hard time selling. Discounts up to $35,000 on GTS models are 7 times greater than the best TA discount I've heard of at $5k.

Since we can't test drive Vipers on race tracks ourselves it makes sense to consider feedback from experienced and reputable race car drivers like Randy Pobst. He drove final production models of the SRT and GTS at Laguna Seca when setting the lap record in the TA. He was impressed how improved the production cars were, and how the TA was still clearly superior from a handling and driver confidence perspective, even though it wasn't "that" much faster. To go "any" faster at that rarified level is impressive, and it would be naive to think that only one of the many performance upgrades on the TA was responsible for the improvements to handling and lap times. His comments about the TA confirm what any track rat would fully expect, but was most significant in that it exposed how good the SRT and GTS was after pre-production cars didn't meet expectations for various reasons.

The TA is clearly the most track focused model at the moment. It's interior reflects its mission, and is actually superior for that purpose than the leather interiors. Its styling is basically the same as the other models, but with preferred seating surfaces and lighter weight with manual adjustments. There are extensive differences between a TA and GTS with Track Pack, and a big difference between running one fast lap and an entire day running fast laps that the Laguna Seca lap times do not reflect.

SRT has included every higher performance part on the TA, with a number of them being exclusive to it, so you must value other features more. That's fine, and hopefully SRT offers the options that you want on another model.

A GTS fully loaded with optional and extra cost Sidewinder wheels, Corsa tires, SRT 6 vent hood and aero package still lack the best brakes, stiffer springs, stiffer sway bars, specific damper valving, track alignment and more track oriented seats. Lesser differences would be that the GTS also wouldn't have the lighter weight carbon fiber cross brace and sound insulation. And while not performance oriented, the GTS also wouldn't have the included carbon fiber rear fascia, and wouldn't be a numbered car. All the same differences apply when comparing the SRT, plus it lacks the multi mode ESC.

You can see that all adds up to an incredible value on the TA... if top performance is your goal. But again, if luxury or something else is more your speed then the TA likely wouldn't make any sense for you. I hope that helps you understand what the TA is all about, and why it would appeal to many.

Bruce

Bruce, thank you for the thoughtful reply. I was aware of all of the differences. I agree with most of what you say. My only point of difference is on the performance gains. With the GTS being so close in times without the aero and track alignment, it does make you wonder on the benefits of the stiffer springs and roll bars. The brakes are not that big deal as the track pack brakes are what the GEN4 ACR used so successfully for years. Anyone going to the track would get a track alignment anyways. I do like those new brake rotors though. Wish they would have a 3 mode suspension on the GTS to have the two track modes of the TA and then the street setting.

Again, I think a great marketing effort to take some very basic parts, cheaper interior, decal emblems and a unique color, call it special and sell it for a price that most everyone was complaining about before. This is what surprised me because the performance gain was minimal, but the price a decent jump.

To answer your questions though, the items I want are a different color, stripes, polished wheels (I personally hate the black wheels), two vent hood and the nice leather interior and the sound deadening. But make no mistake, I want it to be great on the track as well, thus I really like the brake option which is an easy add later. I think if you give Randy a GTS with track pack, aero, and track alignment, I suspect the times will be super close. This is the reason why I don't see the big performance gain, but I could be wrong and not giving enough value to the stiffer spring rates, sway bars and shock dampening.

I guess the same could be said for a base SRT model with track pack and aero for much less money. Heck, if you really wanted the best track performer for the money, you would get a new base 2013 SRT with track pack ($95k) and aero ($5k), track alignment ($200), put MCS suspension ($5k) on it and cost you 10-15k less.

To clarify, I am not trying to put down the TA. Some of my comments may suggest that I am, but just truly trying to understand as I think the marketing has been great to suggest big performance increases, but the data does not show that for all of us reading the same facts.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this level of performance, small gains are significant gains. The TA would not have been a good base model as suggested above. Most do not track their cars and never will. There are trade offs involved that a Sunday cruiser/garage queen person would not wish to make. The base SRT model for 2014, with the additional content added for 2014, is a very capable package at a reasonable price.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235