SRT and the new gen5 Viper are Italian, not American.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, the Crysler super bowl commercial, which I loved and said "hell yea" to when it aired started a controversy with some (now potentially former) friends. lol

I was like, "oh yea, great commercial", they were like, how dumb .. now Fiat owns 100% of Crysler, it's an Italian company pretending to be an American car company by using an American rock idol who's sold out to a foriegn company.

And so the "discussion" commenced.

Their point - with Mr M's recent full acquisition completed, Crysler has been more Italian than American and is now 100% Italian, hence no vehicle they make or has been designed for a while is American. To say the Viper is an American super car is dumb since the company is Italian, it's another Italian super car. And so their point goes.

This wasn't in terms of putting Chrysler down or the Viper, but their finding it funny that Chrysler is relying on people being stupid & not knowing its really an Italian company advertising themselves as American.

My point - ***? The buy out was predicated on terms of Fiat keeping Chrysler inherently American, it was about increasing its market, not changing the company/cars. They've announced that Chrysler will end up in a Netherlands holdings company this year, so then is it not even Italian then? In a global economy it takes more than overall ownership to designate what "car industry type" the car is. Would you say a Bugatti is a German car? Would you say that a Range Rover or Jaguar or Aston Martin are American cars (from when Ford owned them)? Is Mazda an American car? If an American car company designs a car with an Asian designer and builds it in Mexico, what is it? Where do you draw a line on this ... to me it's about who is designing and building, what the culture is that's adhered to in the design and targets, heritage is a part, etc.

When I say that Ralph has confirmed now Italians were involved in the gen5, they say of course he does, look at the commercials, they are marketing as American & Ralph is saying what his Italian boss tells him to say. Argh.

As I think about it in retrospect I don't know who's right or wrong, or if either are, it's probably somewhere in the middle, like most things.

Is the gen5 an "American" exotic .. is SRT an American performance car division? I still think they are, but is it because they are, or because I want them to be? To many I know it's a big "who cares", I've always taken a bit of pride in the American mustangs & vipers I've owned, which of course is why my buds were breakin my balls over this topic, because thats what buds do. lol

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your friends are simply ignorant, and likely wish to pursue this argument with you because they know it gets to you.

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is Budweiser American
Is Rolls-Royce British
Is Bentley British
Is Lamborghini Italian
Is Ducati (motorcycles) Italian
What is a Veyron? ...........The list goes on

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember reading, in Autoweek a few years ago, an article titled "What Does it Mean to Buy American?"
They had a chart that tried to explaining who owns what, and where it's made.

For example, Honda is Japanese owned, but designed and built in America. There were some American cars built in Mexico.

But there is nothing more American than the Viper. Sure the Italian boss had to approve it, but it was designed in America for Americans. It is built in America by Americans. Europeans don't get it, and don't need to get it. The Viper is American. And it just happens "go-round-corners" quite well.

~Jay

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask your friends if they would mind explaining their view face to face to the highly skilled American workers at the Connor Ave assembly plant who hand make the Viper. I would like to be there to witness that exchange.

pdub

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time I checked I don't remember any SRT dealers in Italy.

If it's built here and sold almost exclusively here then it is American no matter where the parent company happens to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask your friends if they would mind explaining their view face to face to the highly skilled American workers at the Connor Ave assembly plant who hand make the Viper. I would like to be there to witness that exchange.

I'd pay for their airfare to see that myself, lol, awesome.

They were definitely in trash talk mode, they love my viper, etc., and we were well into the stock of beer, I think my emotional reaction to the Crysler commercial gave them an irresistable shot at me. What are friends for.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd pay for their airfare to see that myself, lol, awesome.

They were definitely in trash talk mode, they love my viper, etc., and we were well into the stock of beer, I think my emotional reaction to the Crysler commercial gave them an irresistable shot at me. What are friends for.

Those who are closest to you can often bust your balls the best!

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would the conversation be like with the highly skilled American workers in Texas who hand build a Toyota Tundra? :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last time I checked, the Toyota Tundra was not hand assembled. I respect the workers who work the robotic assembly lines but equating them and their respective skill sets with the workers at the Connor Ave assembly plant is an insult to the workers at the Connors Avenue assembly plant.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last time I checked, the Toyota Tundra was not hand assembled. I respect the workers who work the robotic assembly lines but equating them and their respective skill sets with the workers at the Connor Ave assembly plant is an insult to the workers at the Connors Avenue assembly plant.
The point of you post, unless im reading it wrong, was that the viper was made in America by Americans. Soo, that would make the Tundra very American to right? Or does the amount of robotic work decide what is American made?

Just playing devils advocate here ;)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends where the robots were made. Seriously, I am glad that anything that is still made or assembled here is still made or assembled here to any extent by humans. Every year robotics or some other form of automatic mechanism - like toll taking - gets a little better and more and more jobs are eliminated.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that commercial kind of chapped my ass. My car says "Dodge" on it. I like that.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the Germans before, Fiat will use and siphon off cash as it see's fit. When they're done with it, meaning a sinking ship, they'll dump it. Cerberus, an American company is what killed Chrysler to begin with. The biggest problem with Chrysler is that it hasn't had great leadership. It needs a Bob Lutz or a Lee Iacocca. Like this country, full of great people but led by weak. It's great to be a visionary, but having the brains and the brawn, to execute a plan requires more than a text book raised baby boomer.