Announcement: Viper vs Viper - Gen5 Edition

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper lovers-

The VCA has been working to put together a cool event, that we can now announce. It will be open to everyone, and you can see one of the fastest Gen 5 vipers on Earth race one of the fastest planes on Earth.

This event is free to everyone, there will be tons of press, etc. for SRT, and of course a LOT of Viper enthusiasm.

We are still forming up if a car coral, and other small details, so stay tuned for more details, it will be in March

Thanks to Will at RSI for supplying the car, and let's root for a small upstart little American car (that people say doesn't sell well, so shouldn't matter) kick the pants off a 30 million dollar plane.

VCA ***

P.S. We should have a few other announcements soon, VOI, etc. are coming, stay tuned.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for putting this together.

Please let us know the dates and location ASAP.

I can still remember all the air show attendees rushing the fence to see these competitors go down the track. It was covered by Ripley's believe it or not.

I asked the Jet pilot how in the heck he was going to be able to stop his heavy plane at the end of the 1/2 mile drag, and he simply pointed up at the sky. (Duh)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke AirForce base has hosted this epic event several times. Always a good show.

When VCA first talked to them, General Sargent (real name) set down the ground rules for the drag race as being a 1/2 mile run down the runway. When we explained that traditionally drag races are 1/4 mile distance, to which he replied, with a knowing smile, "It's my runway". We quickly agreed with his sage advice, and these runs are now usually 1/2 mile in length.

Over the years the format has varied, depending on situations. One year (think it was 2002) we ran a Gen III prototype against the fighter jet using standard power, and also a Compe Coupe against a one using full military power, including afterburners. Think we one one race, and the jet won the other.

Car usually jumps off to a quick lead, and the fighter goes after it with much determination.

It is always great fun for the spectators, super publicity for Viper and a chance for an interface between the military and civilian industrial might.

It is open to the general public, so they get to see a large gathering of Vipers, and a chance for owners to get in a little road trip.

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The owner of the car might. Or someone from SRT, or Will, just depends. Herb did it last time, he wants to and was invited to, but he can't make it. He did say it was the singular best thing he has ever done, so we are all very excited...

I spoke with some of the auto press today and they seem interested, so we'll see how big of a positive Viper/SRT splash we can make.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If possible to do, how about a live webcast of the event for VCA Members. We would sign in with our VCA member number and our date of birth. If this is not possible, can there at least be a VCA videographer who can then post the video on this Forum in the Events and Gen V subforums? If there is a webcast, it would be recorded and the video uploaded to the same two subforums.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If possible to do, how about a live webcast of the event for VCA Members. We would sign in with our VCA member number and our date of birth......QUOTE]

Seriously? Why would you offer great exposure to SRT... and then make it a secret!? The event is open to the public, as are all US Military Base air shows. Free. Password protected video of the event? Sheesh...... taxpayers are funding your event. SRT will be otherwise occupied that weekend........at SEBRING. So they cant watch the secret live feed, but you can?

{quick, go edit your post now}

Interested in the long Hisssstory of these past FOUR events ? Google "Viper vs. F-16" for a ton of coverage.

Search 'Rules Of Engagement' here for my post of 2007 with the 2002+ rules. See the FOUR past stories in Viper Magazines...... I was privileged to photog on the taxiway, with Dan Knott (RIP). We also gave VIP rides on the runways the nights before.... The vanity license plate on the SRT Viper? F16 NEXT

I brought/stole Carroll Shelby over to the Viper Owner's tent for a 'spontaneous' autograph session... (He was guest of the Cobra Club and General Sargent) A recent photo of that Shelby session made it to a 2013 ViperMag on Shelby... All 4 event were tied to the USAF charity on base......the final auction raised over $35k!

Ahhh, the good-old-days.... PS IF YOU ARE US MILITARY Viper Owner, you know what a "Challenge Coin" is .... Want one? Bronze F16 on one side, SRT Viper on the other...... Email me, [email protected] No Charge. Thank you for your service.

JonB

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon is being too humble here. He did not mention that those evening runway VIP rides were done in total darkness, with no runway lights. Only the headlights of your VIper and the tail lights of the Viper in front of you gave you clues as to where the course was laid out. While great fun for the drivers and passengers alike, it was a true testamony to the Viper pilots who took part in the very fun event.

It was also Jon (I believe) that provided the F16 NEXT license plates that were quietly attached to the competition Vipers. Nice touch.

Viper owners were also invited to the evening dinner inside the quanset hut where all the Fighter Jet pilots were telling super interesting (and hilarious) stories of their exploits. Was a great time for all, and supported a wonderful cause.

Another unsung hero, for putting these events together, was past VCA National President Tony Estes. Tony was a true blue patriot, and established a pretty remarkable bond with the military at these events. Lots of behind the scenes work has been done to provide these remarkable experiences.

These are just some of the once in a lifetime events many Viper owners have been privledged to take part in as a side benefit of Viper Ownership and club membership.

For years our motto was…your car is your ticket. It has been a great ride.

In addition to the Viper Vs Viper event, attendees also are able to take in the entire airshow, up close and personal. The sound and fury of the American Military on full display.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jon. I think that you missed this part of the post: " If there is a webcast, it would be recorded and the video uploaded to the same two subforums." Both subforums are public.

If the VCA pays for a camera person and the webcast costs,if any. it is appropriate that only Members obtain the initial benefit from that expenditure which is the live webcast. The uploaded video can then be viewed by all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL - FYI, the VCA is paying nothing for this. We in attendance are paying our own way, the press is coming on their own dime, the car transport is funded by the owner and RSI, our "photographer" is Cathy Everts (who is paying her own way).

To be clear, this board feels (strongly) that we don't benefit off the VCA treasury, that means we "lose" money on stuff like this, not saying this so you feel sorry (we obviously love it), but just to be factual that our hands aren't in the cookie jar.

As such, I think we should publish this to all, it benefits the Viper Nation, and SRT, of all stripes. It is an amazing event that helps ALL of us, and yes the efforts/support of JonB (and others) are simply amazing, and of course, this is ultimately a benefit for servicemen/women and a display of Awesome Americanism (Military and car alike), so many many thanks go to many people, and I'm sure Bob was just thinking about a cool new way to bring this to everyone that we have not done before...

Greg

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there. Great event. The AZ viper club participated and we got a police ****** to the event...lots of fun and got to go fast. Police stopped traffic at stop lights for us. The drag race is fantastic. I wish I could come.

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working on a live broadcast, it's above my technical level of expertise, so I've sent to Don. We are running this on a shoestring, so no great hardware with us...

As far as the race schedule, unsure as of yet, I believe it is both days, but again, you can't quote me on that... This is the military's show, so we plan on being there the whole time and going where and when they tell us, they have the guns :)

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So checked with webmaster, no way we can do a live feed (at least here) without some investment. There are some third party sites we could use, but that woudl require sign-ups, etc. Not saying no, just not at the VCA forums. As we get closer, perhaps we'll post a link to one of those sites, at the very least there should be some good youtubes...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. If it works out that we cannot do it for this event, the VCA should look into it for the future. The tech is not new. With respect to cost, I would guess that if a free live webcast cannot be done or is not available anywhere else that people would be willing to pay a modest fee ( like pay per view) to defray the cost of the live webcast. Maybe the military at the Base would host a free live webcast. No harm in you asking. They might like the idea since it leverages the value of the Air Show.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The memories of blasting down the runway in the dark that night are still fresh in my mind. Herb was driving like a madman on fire!

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Will the jet be on after burners from the start or will there be a non after burner vs stock Viper and Afterburner vs Modified Viper race?

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, this event is this weekend, if you can make it please do, root for the fastest Viper :)

Also, if you see SRT, please thank them for contributing a stock Gen 5 for the event, it's that kind of support from the OEM that makes it worthwhile. We thought we'd need a stock Gen 5 in case we beat up the jet too badly, we might need to dial it back to a stock car :)

See you there!!

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's no "Special" area for the vipers this year. There will be the SRT car there in the show for display, but the wanted it pretty low key as far as the number of cars in the show...

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know most will be there both days. Good luck tomorrow guys. Wish I could have made it.

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, we're doing this all on a shoe-string, there are lots of videos and pictures filtering out from FaceBook, we'll get them here, everyone is travelling home, and I'm in the plane posting as soon as I can.

Results: The Stock 2014 SRT Viper, straight from an SRT experience (thanks SRT!) won both days, handily, against the F16 on mil (non Afterburner) power. And when I say handily, I'm talking 100+ feet in a 1/2 mile race. The Viper was trapping 165-170 in a little over a half mile.

On AB power, day 1 went against a Gen 2 car owned by one of the big-wigs on the base, and he was trounced by 1000+ feet.

The RSI 1250 car lost as well against AB power. The Pilot of the jet was in for a win, as he had the AB going while brakes were applied. In our planning, AB was supposed to be ignited upon brake release, giving us a 5 sec delay on ignition of the AB, so with those odds stacked against us (the jet was in air at the quarter mile) so we had no chance at that one.

So the bottom line, a stock 2014 SRT Viper kicks the living heck out of an F16 Viper under normal take-off scenarios. Last races were close, this wasn't even fair really, next time we'll give them a head start :)

Thanks SRT for making and lending us the best car in the world, and thanks for to our men and women in the military for your service, and for taking such excellent care of us, your hospitality was amazing. (we made a few service-people's entire lives as they got to drive the viper on the strip.

Greg