Front Brakes for a 1999 GTS

Talon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All,

Has anyone seen these brake pads Autozone offers for the Viper? They have some sort of wear indicator wire coming off them that's supposed to plug up somewhere. I would be surprised quite honestly if 1999 had a mechanism to detect when the brakes are warn, but I may be wrong. Is Autozone screwing up or does my 1999 have this? Or do some 1999's have this. I looked inside my wheel and I don't see any sort of connection coming off my brake pads.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa..._/N-jdknlZ8ko29?itemIdentifier=228370_0_1610_

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was me, I would bring back the autozone pads and get your money back, and buy a higher quality pad from the Viper store or anywhere else, worth every penny more.:2tu: Autozone is good if you have a Vett or VW :rolaugh:

Last edited:

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since most pads are for various applications, these wires can be cut off. They are for cars which have the computer sense if the brake pads wear down....when the wear mechanism makes contact with the negative grounded brake rotors, a signal is sent to the computer and you will get a warning light. But for the Viper, you don't need this feature, so cut them off.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to remember the Brembo callipers were used on many other cars not just the Viper, Rear was used on a Lotus elese, Renault Laguna. Fronts were used on Aston Martin, Ford focus, etc Pads are same size, Some have wires, some don't. If your just doing street driving the Autozone pads will be adequate but if you plan to take the car to the track often you will need a better friction compound.

Performance Friction pads are good for track work, but not cheap! EBC yellows are also a slightly cheaper option but not so good when cold, EBC Reds are an intermediate pad between road and track, hawk pads are also used :) you tend to get what you pay for!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These pads can only be used on the street, have less brake torque and will fade quite quickly when heated. They will dust less but will not brake as well as the stock pads. if you are on a budget, go with a Stoptech, Hawk or EBC direct replacement pad. If you are using a differing pad than before, you will need to either turn the rotors or scuff them with 90 grit sandpaper to remove the old imbedded pad material. Otherwise they will make noise and have poor brake torque.