AMAZING PRICES on new Gen V

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The local Dodge Dealer in Southern California is offering their 2013 models at an amazing prices, essentially 20% off the MSRP.

'13 Launch Edition, MSRP $140,490, sale price $112, 392
'13 GTS in Stryker Red, MSRP $152,090, sale price $121,672
'13 SRT MSRP $134,590, sale price $ 107,672
'13 SRT MSRP $105,340, sale price $84,272.

If anyone is interested, look them up on-line: "Orange Coast Dodge". I purchased my 2008 from them, no hassle.

I would purchase the Launch Edition tomorrow, except that I have my 2008 in the classified and have to sell that first.

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow. that srt is well under invoice. makes you wonder if these deals are going to drive down the resale value of the gen V

OP
OP
S

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
doctorbob,

If you decide to buy one, l will be more than happy to go down and look at the car. I live close to the dealer, about 25 miles.

rollymohan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
who buys a viper and wonder about the resale value.you should buy something else like another house or buy some stocks

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nice thing about the viper is that there are so few of them, once they are no longer available new, someone who wants one will have to pay whatever someone who's selling is asking.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They build so few of these cars, that resale value isn't a big concern. For shoppers looking for used cars later, it isn't like they can usually find the exact car they are wanting, at any time they want. Not like a Corvette, where you can fire up ebay and autotrader and find a dozen in the color you are shopping for.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but the Vette was voted the best resale value of 2014 just saying.

LOL, voted by whom? A bunch of psychic posers? If anyone can predict the future I'd like them to manage my Etrade account.

As much as I like the C7, that design will look dated down the road. The Viper's curves will be timeless even decades from now.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already have. If you can get new GTS under $100K now, used is going to take a huge hit of at least the same as new with discount.

Let me compare the Gen 5 situation to the Pioneer Kuro plasma TV. The Kuro was and still is the BEST big screen TV you can buy, hands down, at any price in any format (it beats all LCD, OLED, DLP and other Plasmas by a wide margin). The problem was that they were going for upwards of $10K new just when LCDs and cheaper plasmas were going sub-$2K. Only the ******** could afford to drop $10K on a TV. Pioneer eventually stopped making them in 2009, and remaining stock was discounted heavily. You could get a new Kuro for $1500 with the discounts and if you did, you would be extremely lucky.

Once the fire sale happened and the remaining units sold, people realized that nothing has bested the Kuro to this day. Yes, even now in 2014 there is no better TV on the market that you can buy other than the Kuro, so if you don't have one you only have the second best or less. The price of Kuros started to rise because the people who bought them kept them knowing they are the best, and the few that went up for sale managed to fetch $3k to $5k for a used unit. If you were lucky enough to find a new unit, prices were creeping back up to the original MSRP of $10K.

The Gen 5 is a lot like that. The people who buy one now are probably going to hold onto it because it's such a unique, awesome car that really has no equal today (and unlikely to in the future). If SRT discontinues the Viper for whatever reason, the price for a used one is likely to rise...and if they continue to make the Viper, their low production figures make them highly collectible.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To put it into perspective, Ford built over 4,000 Ford GT's. It would take a few years for SRT to build that many Gen 5 Vipers. Those expensive Fords were also heavily discounted after the first year, because "people won't pay that much for a Ford". Now they pay more than MSRP for one.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me compare the Gen 5 situation to the Pioneer Kuro plasma TV. The Kuro was and still is the BEST big screen TV you can buy, hands down, at any price in any format (it beats all LCD, OLED, DLP and other Plasmas by a wide margin). The problem was that they were going for upwards of $10K new just when LCDs and cheaper plasmas were going sub-$2K. Only the ******** could afford to drop $10K on a TV. Pioneer eventually stopped making them in 2009, and remaining stock was discounted heavily. You could get a new Kuro for $1500 with the discounts and if you did, you would be extremely lucky.

Once the fire sale happened and the remaining units sold, people realized that nothing has bested the Kuro to this day. Yes, even now in 2014 there is no better TV on the market that you can buy other than the Kuro, so if you don't have one you only have the second best or less. The price of Kuros started to rise because the people who bought them kept them knowing they are the best, and the few that went up for sale managed to fetch $3k to $5k for a used unit. If you were lucky enough to find a new unit, prices were creeping back up to the original MSRP of $10K.

The Gen 5 is a lot like that. The people who buy one now are probably going to hold onto it because it's such a unique, awesome car that really has no equal today (and unlikely to in the future). If SRT discontinues the Viper for whatever reason, the price for a used one is likely to rise...and if they continue to make the Viper, their low production figures make them highly collectible.

I understand your point. In my opinion, being that the heavily discounted cars are GTSs, I think that pricing won't go up that much if any. At this point, I think that the GTSs with discounts are great for someone who wants to drive the car and loose the least money possible, but I do not foresee them going back up to MSRP unless SRT stops making the car in the very near future. Of course we are all guessing at this point, and only time will tell. I just want to drive one to determine if I will buy one, but we all know how difficult that is!

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who buys a viper and wonder about the resale value.you should buy something else like another house or buy some stocks

I agree with you but when it comes time to trading it in for the ACR....that is when the giant hit comes. I am all about minimizing the loss. haha.

Last edited:

cashcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that is where I ordered my Silver SRT.. Great dealership with well under Invoice pricing. Outstanding Deals!

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
prices are good IF the car has the options you want. If I am paying 100g's for a car, I want it EXACTLY the way I want it

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out with the old 13 and in with the newer 14 always has price drops and left over 14s will do the same in the future. Dealers want to get rid of 13s.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine buying a special interest car and not think about resale value. While you can't expect values to increase over time, you can hopefully choose one that will depreciate as little as possible before levelling off and holding. If you get it right the car may even increase after that. Desirability and rarity are key factors, but a timeless design is what can make a car even more desirable when a few years old than when new. Reliability and maintenance costs aren't known until a model is a few years old, and how well other competing models fair over time in comparison influences used values. Any enthusiast can become a collector, and every enthusiast will become increasingly drawn to higher levels of performance, higher levels of driver engagement, traditional muscle car/super car/exotic styling, low cost of ownership, increasing rarity as cars find their way into collections or the landfill, and pristine examples dwindle.

The most desirable examples of a performance car is usually the most advanced, highest performance, and rarest examples. For Viper that has been the ACR, among others, but the Gen V may become the most sought after Gen in the future, and while some wanted it to be a radiclally new design, the fact that it was a radical improvement of the classic Viper may make it the most desirable Viper to date, and previous Gens a little less so. The TA is looking particularly good, and the number of ACR owners buying one is a good indication of that. The wholesale acceptance of the automotive media is another.

If this Gen proves to be reliable over time (which I expect it will), production remains extremely low (which the Vette and economy will help ensure), prices firm up after oversupply works itself out, and a newer Gen isn't vastly more desirable over time, then I think the Gen V will prove to be an exceptional place for an enthusiast to park some money. And while the TA offers no options other than color, and was not equipped exactly how I would have chosen, it is equipped perfectly for me to enjoy in every respect...and I expect automotive trends to make it even more so over time!

Bruce

Hothonda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience is after a car is discontinued, there's a better chance for reduced depreciation or MAYBE even appreciation.

BTW what's the word on '15's - changes - updates etc.?

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience is after a car is discontinued, there's a better chance for reduced depreciation or MAYBE even appreciation.

BTW what's the word on '15's - changes - updates etc.?

Too early to know. 2014s began production last October.

1KoolAsp 14TA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey hothonda, i read on allpar.com the 15 viper is gonna get a refresh,and they expect a bump in hp, it all could change, but that is what i read. we can't believe all we read,lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave