Thread: Wanting a 1St or 2nd generation Viper

Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Viper Owner

Confused Wanting a 1St or 2nd generation Viper

Iam just retired 62, mechanically inclined, have restored vehicles years ago. Want to purchase a 95-2002 Viper 1st or second generation. Have seen many on Auto trader. some low some higher mileage. People don't seem to drive them too much? I just want to tinker, take it to car shows, have some fun. Not worried about the soft top and curtains on 1st gen. Would like the AC I live in Florida. Question is what problem areas should I look for in the 1st & 2nd Generation models?? any assistance would be appreciated. Putting out $ 30 plus grand .. I see a lot of people talk about the torque, losing control, need good tires, etc. I have always been a speed freak, I have had 911sc, older 72 vette, 928 , and many , many motorcycles, trying to get rid of two motorcycles now. well off subject, any help out their, this is my first post, anyone can e-mail me at [email protected] or this site. thanks all Brad

Viper Owner

Default Re: Wanting a 1St or 2nd generation Viper

I think where you should start is by browsing the older threads related to the topic. There is a ton of info on the forum and threads related to the subject. But for starters good fresh tires ARE very important. Best of luck with finding the perfect viper.

Viper Owner

Default Re: Wanting a 1St or 2nd generation Viper

Long standing enthusiast car buying advice is to buy the best example you can afford. Usually ends up saving money in the long run. Try to buy from a knowledgeable buyer with as much documentation as possible.

A well serviced un-molested car is usually a better deal than a poorly modified one.

Often the car that seems to be the bargain is a low price for a reason. You may not find out the reason for some time...but you will find out the reason.

There is a Viper Buyers Book by Liang (out of print, but often available on line) that has lots of details about each model offering.

All Vipers share the same DNA, so it is difficult to go too wrong if you go into it heads up.

Enjoy which ever Viper your decide to make your own, and see you out on the Highway.