Best way to store a Viper

natsfan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought my first Viper. Its a Gen IV. I will be going overseas for a year for work and sadly can't take the Viper with me. I'll be storing it with family during that time. What is the best way to store the car while I am gone?

I figure I have two options:

1. Put it on blocks, pull the battery, and let it sit while I'm gone. Should I drain any fluids or do anything else to protect it?

2. Have someone take it on a short drives occasionally. What else would I want them to do? I could probably get someone to drive it once a month or at least once every three months.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would go with the first one for sure. Store it and cover it up. At least you would know where abouts of your car when you come back. You can put it on a trickle charger too. the second suggestion of someone starting and driving it occasionally is a BAD idea. there are a ton of cases where "occasional" drive by someone would end up in a ditch or around a pole or a tree. even if its your family you are paying for the car, not them. Family and money do not mix.

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would suggest Option 1, with a few additional recommendations:

1 - instead of pulling the battery, simply connect it to a battery tender which will keep it fully charged and ready for your return.
2 - fill up the gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer which will keep the fuel from becoming a jelly substance due to moisture.
3 - perform an oil change prior to storage.
4 - purchase a car cover if you feel like spending the extra cash.

Other than that, you're good to go :2tu:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't let anybody drive the car. :nono:

Put some Sta-bil in the gas tank, and then fill it up completely after that.
Should be OK for storage of about a year like that.

Removing the battery, then installing a new one when you return would be best for the car.
Other fluids will be fine.

The tires may flat spot sitting for a year, over inflating them before you leave might help prevent it .......I'd still choose to leave it parked normally rather than putting it up on blocks. -Reason being, I'd much prefer needing new tires (replace them all the time anyway) than having the suspension set in the unloaded position for a whole year.
Control arm bushings are rubber. They are in a neutral position when the car is parked on it's wheels. They twist when the suspension moves up and down. Leaving the car for a year with the bushings twisted like that would bug the crap out of me.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh do not forget a HUG and a LONG kiss good bye before you leave. lol:D

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Put it on blocks

:omg: The first picture that popped into my head was something like below. I guess that the guy put the wheels/tires in sealed black plastic bags to keep UV and ozone from aging the tires during storage. I'd say, make sure that you don't use the hollow cement blocks, though.

You must be registered for see images attach

shaf3i

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know ur post is YEARS old. But I read ur comment, and I just happen to finish reading the 2004 Viper's Manual in bed last night, right after reading ur post. And i just HAD to come back here and reply...

So the MANUAL itself suggests 2 things:
1- Buy 4 pieces of wood, each piece must be the size each tire. Wrap each wood pieces with a carpet (bottom and top). (U can glue it on, or better, use a staple gun maybe. This way u can replace the carpet when the cushioning effect wears off...)
Place EACH piece of wood with carpet cushioning under each tire. This will protect both tires and rims. (All from the manual by dodge, nothing im making up...).

2- Gen 3 2004 Has a Battery Saver Mode. (Thus ur gen 4 must hv it as well)... Open ur manual to Battery saver mode and read along.

In short: In my gen 3. I would put the key in ignition. Go from Off to Acc, 4 times, back and forth, ending at the OFF position. Then should push a button. The horn will beep and then the lights will flash. This means BATTERY SAVER MODE IS ON. Alarm will be off. Thus you can now even Disconnect the battery i believe. Only way to unlock the car is through the key hole under the mirror. Also, if you push the door handle button, it should get ur car in alert mode, and out of its sleep mode.

But still, all ur alarm systems will be off. etc... Manual recommends u do this if leaving ur viper for more than 3 months unattended. Saves ur battery life.

U will need to go to the manual again, and read how to reverse all this as well...

Ill post the link, JUSSSSSSSST in case u fancy reading more about this interesting topic that u brought to my attention.

https://www.dodge.com/download/pdf/manuals/2004_ZB_Viper.pdf

Hint*** Rename the .pdf file in the URL with the year of ur viper... So instead of 2004 in the LINK, type in there "2008", or "2009"... and ur manual should pop up.

Ur welcome.

And yes, its 2018, and ur question came in, God knows when. But this IS the proper way to store away ur baby for a long time.

Oh, my 2004 31,000 miles Silver viper just arrived at my port in its own container just hours ago =). Haven't got the chance to c it yet. Getting some ppl to handle final paper work and I should be cruising around in my baby within a week or 2. =) Needs a quick check up before registration, etc... Then i'll obviously change all fluids except the Power Steering... That's only if my check up shows no signs of wear on any hoses, etc...

Wish me luck.

Have a nice day.

=)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235