OIL CAPACITY

Bryant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also a new owner. Got a lot of questions but not this important. Drained oil in my 04 convertible. Only about 7.5 quarts drained. Filled it up and again only about 7 or so quarts filled it up to dipstick level. Obviously owner and also shop manual says 10 quarts. Crankcase is "level" all the way so I'm sure the oil was drained out. Help!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the car level when you drained it?

If you only lifted the front of the car, the other three quarts were still in the back of the pan.

Your car is a 10 quart oil change including filter.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was the car level when you drained it?

If you only lifted the front of the car, the other three quarts were still in the back of the pan.

Your car is a 10 quart oil change including filter.

Yes, did my 03 last month, and it took 10. I had another ready just to make sure

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also a new owner. Got a lot of questions but not this important. Drained oil in my 04 convertible. Only about 7.5 quarts drained. Filled it up and again only about 7 or so quarts filled it up to dipstick level. Obviously owner and also shop manual says 10 quarts. Crankcase is "level" all the way so I'm sure the oil was drained out. Help!

Given the posts above, then I'd suggest posting pictures of the your engine's dipstick. Perhaps it is just something someone stuck in there that looked similar?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah,...............he may have a dipstick that is from a truck or something.
If it's a little longer, that's obviously the problem.

we may need to bust out some measuring tapes to help this guy.

I have an extra gen III dipstick if that's what's up.
I upgraded to the gen IV pan, and it uses a different stick and tube.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not be comfortable doing spirited driving on a car that might actually be 3+ quarts low on oil. I do believe that it would be a big issue if you were on the track and doing fast sweeping turns. I don't know about public road driving. The oil pressure gauge is not an instantaneous acting read-out; so, a very short loss of oil pressure may not be apparent.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 quarts low on the street would probably not be an issue. You just don't get to pull any g's on the street without the risk of jail time.

For track use, I think most of us are running 11 quarts. (I still do even with the swinging pick-up upgrade)

3 quarts low on a road course with the stock gen III pan and oil pick-up is a death sentence for crank and rods. :nono:

OP
OP
B

Bryant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea on the dipstick. Mine is 20 3/16 from tip to where it mates to the tube.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will dig mine out of the parts pile tomorrow, measure and post results.

I know there are some differences in gen III stuff between 06 and the prior years, but I think the oil dipstick and tube are the same from 03-06.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will dig mine out of the parts pile tomorrow, measure and post results.

I know there are some differences in gen III stuff between 06 and the prior years, but I think the oil dipstick and tube are the same from 03-06.
Well..........I have the old gen III pan and pick-up tube, but the dipstick and it's tube are gone.
I keep all my junk separate from the other accumulated pile of spare parts, so I have no idea what's up. I can't imagine one of my guys tossing it in the trash.
At this point, I think I will run across it in the future when I am looking for something else. -Murphy's law. :crazy2:
My apologies.

Someone with a normal reading gen III dipstick is going to have to chime in and help with a measurement.