Buying a New USED Viper

Bad Brad

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am looking at two Vipers, a 94 with 41,000 miles and a 95 with 21,000 miles

anything that I should look for?? any difference between the two?? Both 1st Generation.

Soft top, windows, headgasket modification?? herd something about that!! Need help !!

Hope to get some replys not much luck with communication on this forum , is the Club dying out!!!

thanks Brad

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will chime in soon, with today being a holiday for many people, hopefully some will be on the site.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People generally frequent their "normal" forums, and don't look at the forums as a whole, this thread would be better on the Gen 1 forums. I would move it for you, but I'm not sure that's what you want to do... I just looked, your 3 week old post was also posted in a not-frequently traveled place.

There is not much difference between the 2, but that's a vast difference in miles. Al things being equal it's a no-brainer to go with the lower mileage car, but things are never that easy.

I know nothing of a headgasket mod.

What to look for? Excessive play in the steering wheel, check the frame at the connecting joins on all 4 wheels (excessive track time has shown to fray some of these joins). There's not much else, these cars are pretty bullet proof, but having a trusted mechanic check it out is always a good idea. Don't worry about the top, no one uses the toupe', sometimes those windows get screwed up, but I don't think anyone cares :)

I have a local member who just picked up a Gen 1, and it's changed his life, so don't fret too much and take the plunge.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brad, I had not noticed this post either. All Gen 1 will eventually experience an issue with the original head gaskets. I would imagin most by now have already had them replaced. They came out with a better gasket (improved material/design). If one car has had them replaced over another, I would go with the car with newer head gaskets. If memory serves me, it's about $5K to get head gaskets done (parts/labor).

OP
OP
B

Bad Brad

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the 95 gen 1 with the hard top, 21,650 miles, went through a Viper mechanic, says in excellent condition, only thing he saw and showed me was front & rear sway bar links rubber are old breaking down and could replace. I can change them myself. Wow Fun to drive!!! Black in color no modifications, stock, Love it. Have the plexi-glass sliding windows , found new plastic canvas zipper windows in a bag in the trunk. Should I
sell them ? Keep them ? can't use both ? what are they worth?? Cars has New tires, going on a trip to see my son, I want to drive the car not look at it in the garage. Only on sunny days though, not too many miles!! thanks all Brad