t56 Questions

Runninfast89

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys
i am doing a gen 3 powerplant swap in my 67 mercedes benz 250s and my question is if i decide to supercharge it how much power can the factory oem t56 handle
before id need to beef it up? or would i even need to worry about it? any advice/ input you guys have would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump................

More than likely the transmission will be fine. It really depends on each individual transmission and how you drive it. I am not sure what the weight difference is from your car and a Viper, but that can also change the holding capacity of the transmission. I can tell you that we have street trim Vipers making 1000hp on stock T56 transmissions.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on how much torque you make and how you drive it. I have a blown GTS that makes over 900 lb ft of torque. I've gotten a couple of years out of each factory transmission (including multiple passes at the track and a lot of spirited driving) before they've let go. Used ones were so cheap, I considered them disposable. However, having gotten sick of the downtime, I'm now having a Magnum TR6060 conversion done on mine so it doesn't happen again.

But if you're only making 600 lb ft of torque or so, you should be fine for quite a while.

OP
OP
R

Runninfast89

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank you so much Will and Johnny much appreciated reasons why I joined this forum for clean cut straight to the point answers like this again thank you :rock::rock::rock:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper