VOI 13 COTA - Track plans

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
All,

Lot's of rumors running around on "track time" at Circuit of the Americas so far, so here's where we are headed at far as tentative track plans for VOI 13 COTA. As usual, when planning events of this type, most everything depends on the number of attendes (number of instructors, etc.), so sign up for VOI 13 COTA today and we'll be able to firm things up more quickly.

First, for those of you that know me, I'm a track guy and have always found past VOI's lacking in "track time".

We plan to run this event more like a track event than any prior VOIs. I STRONGLY recommend you bring your Viper if possible as COTA is not only one of the best, if not the best race track in the world, it is or should be a "bucket list" item for all Viper owners.

For more info, vist: http://circuitoftheamericas.com/

Here are some tentative details for the driving portion of VOI 13 at COTA;

1 - We plan to have 3 "run groups", i.e. Red = Race or experienced; Blue = HPDE or intermediate 2 + track events a year minimum; Green = Novice with little or no track experience, driving a "loaner" car or poor tires, etc.

2 - We are working with a local track vendor who runs track events and hope to have between 35 and 50 in car instructors. Yeah, our insurance requires us to have an instructor in every car for this event. I'm working on this subject, but it's very likely that for Friday and Saturday, you will have an instructor in your passenger seat. Also, there will be driver's meetings with specific track info before anyone goes on track. FYI, you will be allowed to run much faster in the Red and Blue groups, unless you demonstrate that you should not be in either of these groups and no, it won't be lead / follow or parade laps in these groups as some may have already told you.

3 - So far, it looks like each run group will get about 3 sessions on the track for about 45 - 55 minutes of track time on their track day if we can avoid incidents, like fluid leaks, flat tires, off track excursions "aka four wheeling", etc. Make sure your car is prepared and will pass tech inspections, yes, tech. Bald or old tires = automatic Green group, loaner car = automatic green group.

4 - I have been told that track is large enough to safely handle up to 85 cars at one time. We plan to have 30 to 40 cars on track at one time or less than 1/2 of it's capacity. These numbers represent our best guess at this time and may be lower or slightly higher depending upon the number of attendees who wish to drive COTA. The track will be very wide open.

So, how are we doing this?

In past years, we always went out one at a time and never maximized our track use. At COTA, we'll go out in run groups this time as above. This will allow many of our attendees to run together with other Viper friends of similar driving skill from their various areas of the country. I always enjoyed this and think you will too.

Our day at the drags will be Thursday, 1/2 early, 1/2 later but you will get plenty of runs on the drag strip, again if we avoid fluid spills or off track excursions.

In the past, we allowed 2 hours for the drags, 2 hours for each Auto Cross (total of 4) and 2 hours for the track.

On Friday and Saturday, we will be running only the 2 Auto Cross courses (2 hours each) and the track, so we'll have 4 hours of track time dedicated to each group, each day, more than double past events. Please show up with good tires and all fluids recently changed. There will be service provided at the track by a few local vendors, but nobody wants a mechanical issue at a time like this. If you need help with new tires or parts for your Viper, call Keith, our new GM at VPA, at 888-9-VIPERS. Keith is a 20 year Viper tech and knows Vipers very well.

Now, while we haven't really solidified the details yet, (this event is 5 months away) for those of us who really want to run harder at COTA, we are working on setting up a special optional track day for Sunday at COTA with a local track vendor. Sunday's track event will be an extra charge (to the VCA VOI event) event with limited space, but unlike anything we've every had at a prior VOI, it will be a full blown track event, likely 4 run groups, likely 4, 25 minute sessions per group, no instruction necessary for anyone, run as hard and fast as you can, safely please as off track stuff can be very costly at COTA, lots of walls, etc. Pricing will depend upon the number of attendees, so the more Viper guys we can get to sign up, the lower the cost per Viper, up to the limit of course.

Please post here and let Angela know at VCA if you are interested; call 800 - 677-4321. We'll put you on the list for this special, optional Sunday track day in the order that we receive your request. VCA members attending VOI get first option, other VOI attendees will get second option, etc. There will likely be only 100 spots total available for this Sunday open track event, so don't wait to get signed up for VOI or get on the list for this Sunday event. If we don't get enough interest from VCA members and fellow Viper owners attending VOI 13 COTA, we will open it up to the public. It is always fun to pass guys in other makes .....

Sorry for the long post but thought you'd want to know.

Dan

Last edited:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad we got the age of tires under consideration. The rest looks good as well.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER X, this is an outstanding explanation on details so far reference the track and you guys are really on top of it. Im signed up already but will also call Angela again about the Sunday portion to get on the list. Well done and see you there. Mark

WeaponX81

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the detailed track information about VOI 13 Dan! Looking forward to making this VOI a huge success!

JG01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put me down for 2 spots on Sunday. One X and a GTR if you can make that happen. VM left for Angela.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks JG, will they both be on the track at the same time? If you are doing 2 cars, 1 driver, no need for 2 spots I would think. I'm taking 2 spots, 2 cars and 2 drivers...

thegeneral78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Signed up, hotel registered, and let me think do I want more time on one of the greatest F1 tracks in the world? Thats a YES!!! Left a VM for Angela. Heads up people when you call in your hotel registration make sure you are getting the correct rate, they had no idea about the VOI prices, I had to fax her my registration form, just an FYI. :headbang::headbang:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
General-
Thanks for that. We're looking into why there was some difficulty on this one, it should be pretty straight through. Additionally, we are doing a "true-up" weekly with the hotel to make sure all the right people have the right rates, so we would have caught it, but thanks for registering, and thanks for posting...

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having the same problem making sure the room is booked and the proper rate. I just called reservations for groups at the hotel and spoke with Jasmine. So far she does not have my name on the list, in fact she is confused about the entire plans for how the rooms are booked. I asked her to call Angela to make sure they were on the same page on getting the rooms sorted out for those that have paid. There is some real confusion so far at the hotel. As an update, good news, as she just called me back with the res taking CC over the phone and resort fee waived plus correct email of res. sent !! Hopefully it s all in order for everyone.

Last edited:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is the way it works: Angela (MCC) will provide the hotel with a list of registered and paid VOI attendees, then advise the attendees to make their own room reservations with the hotel, and provide guidance on how to do it.

So there will be a delay between the booking of the event and the hotel. Rest assured, we have the whole hotel, and reservations will go in order of VOI sign-up, so there won't be any issues until perhaps we get in August. I know it seems a little screwy on the process, but unfortunately given how things work sometimes we have to add in an extra layer of oversight in the process, as it is is a large hotel, it is still a finite number of rooms.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guys,

Found this video on line of a guy driving an ACR at COTA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7hTuLoog0

The track looks like a blast. Now I just have to learn it so I don't get run over during the Sunday event.

See you at the track,

Dan

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like a super Viper friendly track. Really get to open it up on those long straights.

A real drivers track, where smooth in the corners will reap big rewards with long, powerful pulls down the straights.

If this is what a lead follow at COTA looks like, I'm all over it.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
That looks like a super Viper friendly track. Really get to open it up on those long straights.

A real drivers track, where smooth in the corners will reap big rewards with long, powerful pulls down the straights.

If this is what a lead follow at COTA looks like, I'm all over it.

Agree, super Viper friendly. Some very long straights, nice brake markers, great run off areas, smooth track, well placed "candy striped berms", some higher speed turns and some really nice sweepers with technichal stuff mixed in. Doesn't get much better than this.

Need to find a driver's game for this track so that I can learn it before I get there.

Dan

Krome

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please add myself and my husband, early registration sent in this evening, we would like the extra track time on Sunday also please. :)

DarkSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me in for autocross and road course events, also for sunday if it becomes available, I will send in my early registration tomorrow. I will be coming out with Becky.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just faxed in my registration for VIO, to get the earlybird discount. I can't wait to get back on COTA.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to have you guys, I've had a few calls today, people trying to sneak in under the wire :) Look forward to seeing everyone there!!

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing you DarkSnake.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
So we have reached out to this driver, and he has allowed us permission to use this video. Mike Skeen (mikeskeen.com) is an excellent driver, and shows us how fun the track will be during VOI 13.

Enjoy, be prepared for some adrenaline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7hTuLoo

Mike is also available for coaching.....anyone interested in a group coaching deal on Sunday with Mike?

Dan

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming that's 3 sessions of 45-55 minutes each, and not 3 sessions for a total of 45-55 minutes for the whole day? Just reads a little confusing.

WeaponX81

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming that's 3 sessions of 45-55 minutes each, and not 3 sessions for a total of 45-55 minutes for the whole day? Just reads a little confusing.

Hi TowDawg, sorry if that reads confusing for you... for anyone who has ever done a track day event, like with Apex Driving Academy or the like, then they'ld be aware of how the sessions works. For everyone that hasn't done it yet, let me try to help clear up any confusion... Each session is about 20 minutes out on track for each skill level group, then back to classroom for debrief and prep for next 20 minute session. Reason for this is you are pushing your car very hard and very fast for the entire 20 minutes and any longer than that and typical (non pro) drivers get a little tired and less focused and that's when accidents happen. So to keep everything safe and fun, each session lasts about 20 minutes with good rest time (for both driver and Viper!) in-between your groups sessions whilst other groups go out to run. The rest time for Vipers is very important for any Gen2 cars, as they heat up very quickly and run high risk of overheating if going that hard for longer than 20 minutes at a time. So total time on COTA, a Formula 1 world renowned track, will be around an hour-ish, at FULL SPEED according to your skill level. It's open running and will be an amazing experience!

For those who have not done one of these track days yet, you will absolutely want to make sure that you have Motul 600 brake fluid in your car. Trust me on this one, out at MSR I boiled off all my regular brake fluid after "Big Bend" turn and going 130 mph needed to slow to 30 mph to enter "rattle snake" and when pushed brake pedal it went to the floor and did NOT slow us down at all. Luckily my skill instructor in passenger seat handled the Emergency Brake to great skill as I downshifted hard to make it without going off track. Don't put yourself in that situation and replace your brake fluid with Motul 600 prior to VOI! =)

Lucas

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me follow-up with some historical perspective that might show why there is confusion. At every one of my 7 previous VOIs, there are 2-3 track sessions of 5-10 mins each. They have varied to pretty slow, calm runs, to downright aggressive. The problem with the short time is you just get the hang of it in 5 mins, and then you're done.

So we thought we would change that, and make 20 minute sessions. Seems short, but in my 2-3 dozen NARRA events, edge events, apex events, etc., the longest track session I have ever had is 30 mins, and I think that was too long. At 20, you are getting tired, especially with a track like this 3.4 miles, 20 turns, elevation changes, shifts into 5th (yup 5th depending on your gearing), all the way down to 2nd gear shifts. I'm not sure I personally will be able to go over 15 with a track like this...

Even on our Sunday event, which is more "DE" based, we'll do 20 min (maybe 30), but not 40, and quite simply, it's because we want all our snakes to go home happy.
Greg

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I've got hundreds of track days and years of w2w racing. Depending on the group I did regular track days with, sessions were from 30 mins to 1 hour each. Chin was usually 50, 45, 45, 45, 60 per day. Depending on the size of the track and tires you're running (I'll use Road Atlanta as an example, since I've never been on COTA), you would go out under yellow on cold Hoosiers (2:45), then the second lap would be under green, but tires weren't ready to go 100% yet (1:50), then ready to run (1:30-1:40 depending on traffic), then a cool-down lap (2:30).
If you're running a 20 minute session and take out the opening, get tires to temp, and cool-down laps, you're left with less than 13 minutes of "good run" time. And that's assuming no yellows or other incidents (which you can never foresee what will happen).
I've never been to a VOI, so I don't have any others to compare it to. Just comparing to my regular track experiences.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope the stints will be shorter, rather than longer.

These will not be wheel to wheel racing, where you need time to work your way up the field, and hope to outlast your competitors, but a group of Viper owners that will vary between very experienced racers to owners that have never had their Viper on the track before. There is a need to set up the events so everyone will feel comfortable on this world class track, and not be intimidated by those with fire in their eyes.

Hope people can start out easy, and learn the track. Each will have a professional instructor along to teach them track etiquet and technique. They will bring them up to speed, and allow them to experience the Viper on a road course, where it was designed to dominate. This experience can be invaluable for a regular Viper owner, and should be designed for them to feel comfortable, yet exhilarated.

These events should be designed for owners with stock, unmodified cars, that will need them to be in shape for use the rest of the VOI, and many will need to drive their Vipers back home. They will not have racing tires, racing brakes, tuned suspensions, roll cages, 6 point harnesses, and a full support trailer of replacement parts. This event is designed for Owners of all abilities and desires, and not just for those wanting to push their cars to the limits.

They should be able to go out, experience their cars at speed, and then come in to revel in what just happened. They will need time to speak with others that have just come in from the track, share their experiences, and talk among themselves where they could have gone faster, and how great their Vipers feel out on the track.

By dividing drivers into different groups, the fast guys can go fast, and the first timers can have a blast. Passing should be controlled, and nobody should be pushed to drive faster than they feel comfortable. Expect to see a lot of GoPros and other cameras attached, so people can relive these experiences, and share them with others that could not attend.

This will be a bucket list experience for many, for others, just another day on the track (but what a track)

Believe the idea is for everyone to get lots of track time, but have it enjoyable and fun. Learning what your Viper can do on a track should be what it is all about, and it needs to be done in a controlled, and safe manner.

In the works is expanding the event to Sunday for the ultra racers. If interest is high enough, it might be possible to add another optional extra cost track day for those who wish to "kick it up a notch" and have another day of full open track where they can run with more determination. If this is one of your goals, you might want to check it out.

I still remember my first VOI when we went to the world famous Sebring road course in Florida. Came back from that event with a renewed respect for what my Viper was capable of, and began to take it to every racing venue I could fit in. Since then, I have driven at several NASCAR ovals, Pomona drags trip, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, autocrosses, and many more. The Viper has always amazed me in how capable and competitive it can be. Seemed the more experienced I got, the faster it would go!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to disagree but none of the road course events down here that I have participated in, seen as a spectator, or read about have sessions that long - including Chin. The longest I have seen is 25 minutes. Perhaps it is the difference in the weather. Depending on the track and how long it is and how many turns it has, even 20 minutes can seem like a long time. What events had one hour track sessions? Who put them on? Where were they held? And was that long a session allowed for all types of cars and all levels of driver? Just curious.

Actually I've got hundreds of track days and years of w2w racing. Depending on the group I did regular track days with, sessions were from 30 mins to 1 hour each. Chin was usually 50, 45, 45, 45, 60 per day. Depending on the size of the track and tires you're running (I'll use Road Atlanta as an example, since I've never been on COTA), you would go out under yellow on cold Hoosiers (2:45), then the second lap would be under green, but tires weren't ready to go 100% yet (1:50), then ready to run (1:30-1:40 depending on traffic), then a cool-down lap (2:30).
If you're running a 20 minute session and take out the opening, get tires to temp, and cool-down laps, you're left with less than 13 minutes of "good run" time. And that's assuming no yellows or other incidents (which you can never foresee what will happen).
I've never been to a VOI, so I don't have any others to compare it to. Just comparing to my regular track experiences.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, been doing racing for 15 years, all over the country, 20 ish is average. You must be some pro-racer or something (hence the name TopDawg I assume), but suffice it to say 90% of the attendees will be intermediate or novices, and 20 minutes will be more than they need a session.

Not to be snarky (and I'm truly not), I've seen track events at COTA for $3-5k a weekend, and they get 4-5 sessions of 20 mins sessions a day, so a around 2 hours of COTA time for $1-2k an hour. Or if that's not good, it's $60k a day (plus extras and instruction) so you can pay $5-7k an hour and get all the track time you need.

We're trying for the best experience for the most amount of people. Personally, I would LOVE 4-5 sessions of 20 at COTA, but even IF I had 100 friends that I'd love to share that experience with, I'm not paying $5k for it.

FLAT OUT

VCA Member
Reaction score
Just signed up for Sunday.Ordering new brake pads and motul 660... can't wait

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying the layout isn't better than what I've heard of previous VOI's. Just that a 20 min session is way to short to really "get in a groove" on a new track once you take out the warm-up and cool-down laps. Plus, the Viper (mine anyway) isn't for w2w racing. It does get trailered to track and I run it on Hoosiers, but it's strictly a track day car. Way too stock to be competitive in a real race.
As far as these short stints you guys have to deal with with your local track days, that *****. Chin is who I did most of my track days with before going w2w, and it was always a 50 minute session, followed by 3 sessions of 45 minutes each, then a 1 hour "happy hour" open to all cars/drivers at the end of the day.
Maybe they have shortened their sessions though. I just looked at their schedule for Sebring and it's 4 sessions of 30 minutes and then the "happy hour". Road Atlanta was where I did most of my Chin events and they don't have the schedule posted on their website yet to see if they've shortened it there or not.