Thread: Engine Start

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Engine Start

    Question when I go to start my 96 GTS it's taking me three times to try and start it.

    1. Won't turn over
    2. Turn over then shuts down
    3. Fires up good to go

    What do u think the problem is, spark plugs,

  2. #2
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: Engine Start

    Well, start with the easy stuff, like cleaning TB and IAC, checking spark plugs...
    But it almost sounds like the check valve isn't maintaining the fuel pressure after it has been sitting for a while, and it will take a few tries for the pressure to build back up. Not sure which MY you have, but I believe this was an issue with gen1s and earlier gen2s.

  3. #3
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Reno Nevada
    Posts
    936

    Default Re: Engine Start

    Sounds like no fuel pressure,I like to see exactly where im at with Air/Fuel and fuel pressure. Maybe just a filter problem?

  4. #4
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    3,483

    Default Re: Engine Start

    Define "won't turn over". That typically means the engine will not crank. If it does crank and takes several attempts to start it sounds like fuel flow. If the regulator does not maintain idle fuel pressure that could be the problem. In general, it you hear the pump turn on, then off in a few seconds you should have enough fuel to start the engine if the fuel pump/regulator is working, the exception is a bad fuel filter.

    It could lso be a faulty ASD relay. Ihad the same problem with my car and it was the relay.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    2,983

    Default Re: Engine Start

    If the engine is actually turning over (crankshaft being turned over and over by the starter motor) at first try, then I would try this:

    Before trying to start it the first time, turn the ignition on for a while to allow the fuel pump time to pressurize the system. Then try starting normally. Like stated above, if the check valve is not working and is releasing pressure when engine is stopped a while, it should fire right up if you allow the system time to pressurize before attempting to crank the engine.




    _________________________________________________
    Jim – ‘02 GTS ACR gray/silver -- sold – ( enthusiastic custodian for 8 years )

  6. #6
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: Engine Start

    I believe there is a safety fuel pump cut-off after one second when turning the ignition without starting the car, so leaving the ignition "on" won't make a huge difference trying to pressurize the system.

  7. #7
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    2,983

    Default Re: Engine Start

    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    Before trying to start it the first time, turn the ignition on for a while to allow the fuel pump time to pressurize the system. Then try starting normally. Like stated above, if the check valve is not working and is releasing pressure when engine is stopped a while, it should fire right up if you allow the system time to pressurize before attempting to crank the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I believe there is a safety fuel pump cut-off after one second when turning the ignition without starting the car, so leaving the ignition "on" won't make a huge difference trying to pressurize the system.
    oops, well, I never did verify that technique. I was told that by ?? as a troubleshooting technique.

  8. #8
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metropolis
    Posts
    2,394

    Default Re: Engine Start

    ***************
    Last edited by jdeft1; 05-10-2014 at 10:17 PM.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Langhorne, PA USA
    Posts
    1,580

    Default Re: Engine Start

    It's true the fuel pump will only run for one second when the key is turned on. So...turn it on and off several times...then try to start the car. It may take 5 or more "on and offs" with the key...but you'll know if the problem is that pressure valve. (I call it a pressure valve...but that may not be the correct term.....)

  10. #10
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: Engine Start

    Had the same problem with my other 96 and it turned out to be the fuel pumps were lazy. That is what the new owner stated anyways. Started on the second try every time. Got a little embarrassing after a while at car shows and outdoor patio dinners.

  11. #11
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Langhorne, PA USA
    Posts
    1,580

    Default Re: Engine Start

    There is a mod done by Tom (the oil guy) for a simple timer that was an easy install. It allows the fuel pump to run longer when the key is first turned on...but maintains the safety feature of shutting down in the event of a problem. So...when you first start the car you just leave the key in the "on" position a bit longer...then start the car. It primes the fuel lines.

    I've never heard of "lazy" fuel pumps....but I could be wrong...

  12. #12
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    2,983

    Default Re: Engine Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt M, PA View Post
    It's true the fuel pump will only run for one second when the key is turned on. So...turn it on and off several times...then try to start the car. It may take 5 or more "on and offs" with the key...but you'll know if the problem is that pressure valve. (I call it a pressure valve...but that may not be the correct term.....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt M, PA View Post
    There is a mod done by Tom (the oil guy) for a simple timer that was an easy install. It allows the fuel pump to run longer when the key is first turned on...but maintains the safety feature of shutting down in the event of a problem. So...when you first start the car you just leave the key in the "on" position a bit longer...then start the car. It primes the fuel lines.
    Thanks, I forgot the part about ON/OFF several times to get it to prime due to the 1 second cut-off. Now I understand why the timer was necessary. Here's Tom's timer DIY:
    How to build a Primer Timer and cure your Viper Fuel Pump Starting Problem

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! Engine won't start, battery terminal spinning...
    By Achilles99 in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM
  2. Engine Start Up
    By mcb48 in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 07:28 AM
  3. Push Button Engine Start
    By Viper99 in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 02:12 PM
  4. engine start up
    By Ron in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2001, 01:14 AM
  5. ENGINE START UP&OIL PRESSURE
    By Marv S in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-29-2001, 12:29 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts