Previously owned a rt/10, now looking to buy a GEN3, any specific heads up?

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I owned a 92 rt/10 3 years ago and sold it to go lightweight (with an 550bhp classic mini and than an Ariel Atom supercharged). Now it is time to get back in the snake I guess.

I can't recall the GEN3 specific things to watch out for/look at when buying one. As i owned one before I pretty much know what to expect, but any tips/ weak points to check?

Thanks for the help

04 SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you afford it go for gen 4. If not the rear ends are weak in the gen 3s. That's all I really know.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to buy a Gen4 but my Budget doesn't allow me to and apart from that there aren't any for sale over here in Europe!

What does weak rear end mean? Floppy chassis or something?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear limited slip differential was improved in the Gen IV cars.

Some Gen III's experienced some failures along the way. You can pretty easily install upgraded parts in your Gen III if it does not hold up, or simply replace it with an upgraded Gen IV rear end. Lots of choices.

The Gen IV gearbox and rear end were upgraded to stronger units to handle the extra 90 hp of the new Gen IV engine.

Most every Generation of Viper has it's weak points that are addressed in the next Generation.

On the other hand you will enjoy the better handling, much improved braking, cooling, air conditioning and much better fit and finish in your Gen III over the Gen I

Gen III Vipers are pretty strong and well sorted cars. Many running over 100,000 miles, even after being supercharged or turbo charged.

Good value for the money.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, seems like exactly what I thought, Vipers are strong cars and if everything looks and feels good and everything works how it should...than just buy it. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know if it works out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper