Gen 2 GTS vs. ACR values

venom715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi all.
Been lurking around here for a while. Am seeking opinions on Gen 2 ACR vs. GTS pricing and future price predictions. New ACR's were priced at least $10k higher than the GTS versions but historically the price difference didn't seem to hold. Used ACRs have been selling around the same price as comparable GTSs. The ACRs had issues with the shocks - was this the main reason for the decline in value?

Speculating on future prices, do you see the ACRs demanding higher prices to comparable GTSs coz of low production volume as Vipers become more rare and collectable?
Thoughts?

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it is worth I feel they will command a little bit of a premium like the B/Ws, and the Final Editions (FE), with a FE ACR maybe even getting crazy expensive.

When I was looking for my car ('96 GTS) I wanted what I wanted, with the B/W cars someone gets that car because nothing else will do. But when I was looking I was also realistic and figured that if I could not find a B/W then I would look at the FE next and ACR 3rd. That was over 5 years ago. Now being a GTS owner I hold the ACR and FE in VERY high regard and would not hesitate to own either one of those. With ABS cars making a HUGE buying point for people that are actually going to drive the car. Something you can't get on a B/W. B/Ws speak to even non Viper people and unless you are a Viper lover you may not even know about the FEs and ACRs. But once you do they may seal the deal for someone.

When one model gets too crazy price wise (GTS-R) then other similarly unique models start to go up too, and so-on and so-on. It is good for all models.

I love my B/W but if for some reason it did not work out I know I would be very happy with an FE or ACR as well. But that's me.

When it comes down to it though, I also feel there will also be a big benefit for ultra rare colors (such as a sapphire Blue GTS), because if someone wants it maybe nothing else will do. (I feel the same about Copperheads and Snakeskin Green with White stripes SRT-10 verts too but that's for another thread in the GEN 3 section:rolleyes:).

OP
OP
V

venom715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I think eventually the ACRs will separate themselves again and will demand a premium over the GTSs if the shocks issues are the main reason why the ACRs are currently down. IMO the most expensive and desirable Viper to a collector would be the 2002 Blue/Silver ACR (one of one raffle Viper) followed by the GTS-R and then the 96 B/W. Next I would think will be the FE ACRs followed by the rare color ACRs and the FE GTSs.... all being very low miles and in mint condition of course.

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly I think all 96 to 99 GTS cars have an edge because of the Forged internals.
The FE ACR cars should appreciate with a premium
in the end the condition of the car will command price as they didnt make 30000 GTS cars per year...

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not, i repeat Do Not buy a Viper for Potential Resale Value. Your just flushing your $$$down the toilet.
Buy your viper to drive & enjoy, upgrade if you want...but drive it.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR pricing was about 10-12% higher list price that a similar GTS when new . In an exact apples to oranges comparison (color, mileage, condition, etc.), a used ACR will command a 10% or more price premium over a similar GTS.

Some vipers will depreciate slower than others and some will appreciate from today's prices, but as Frank said, buy and drive them to enjoy or look at in your garage, their not investments.

OP
OP
V

venom715

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I know what Frank means first hand. :) I had a 97 red RT/10 (1 of 64) that I paid a pretty penny for 10 years ago but let it go at almost half price not too long ago.
The thread was not really about investing in Vipers but rather to have a discussion on why the ACR prices didn't hold the gap with a comparable GTS. So far, other than the shocks, there doesn't seem to be any other complaints about the ACR.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't realize there was a decline in value? There is no shock problem, they are race shocks which need to be rebuilt every 10 K or so miles. If you can get a mint cond ACR for the same price as a stock MINT GTS, you'd be crazy not to jump on that deal.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not, i repeat Do Not buy a Viper for Potential Resale Value. Your just flushing your $$$down the toilet.

I think what frank means to say is don't buy "any car" for potential resale value. That said when compared to most cars the Viper holds it value very well. The rarer Vipers such as the one year colors, B&W and ACR's will definitely do much better than most of the other Vipers or Red cars which were made quite a few years.

Even a car like the FGT is not really a good investment after paying the high insurance deductibles, gas and maintenance etc. Not to get off the topic I think the FGT's may be artificially inflated right now and prices could drop down the road. On the other hand they could go into the millions, only time will tell. I am sure as soon as I buy one there will be a price adjustment and they will plummet. I apologize for getting off the topic.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I find cars not a great investment unless you just park 'em because anytime you are on the road you could end up with scrap. One time I was sitting in a parking lot parked and next thing I know a guy with a trailer hitch drives it right through my 05 SRT door and exhaust cover. So much for a clean accident free car.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find cars not a great investment unless you just park 'em because anytime you are on the road you could end up with scrap. One time I was sitting in a parking lot parked and next thing I know a guy with a trailer hitch drives it right through my 05 SRT door and exhaust cover. So much for a clean accident free car.

Even with parking them you are paying insurance on them and there are no cars out there that appreciate more than what it cost to insure them. That said it is still nice when you can sell the car and recoup most of what you paid for it.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed.... with the exception of very very few specific models of cars, most will depreciate. Obviously, a museum piece Cobra, for example, not one that depreciates.

I bought my Viper two years ago when the economy was more crap and the collector market was in a lower part of the roller-coaster. I am of the same opinion as many here. I drive the car. I don't want a museum piece. Yes I pamper the car, no it's not my daily car, but I do drive it. As far as I am concerned, so long as I lose little or nothing and can flip the car, I'm happy. I don't expect to make a profit.

However, having said that, in general terms Vipers hold value better than other comparable cars. Look at what you can pick up a 2002 Z06 Vette for and compare. Within the Viper "realm" yes ACR's should have about a 10% premium. FE's about 10% to 15%. FE ACR you don't stack but it should be in the 20% range above a similar base GTS. THe issue is that as rare as our cars our, so to is the subset of buyers out there. How much more you'll get for an ACR vs an FE vs. a base level will vary by what the buyers want. THe car market is fickle as hell. For example, I got lucky as hell. I found my FE in Florida, single owner, and paid about the same as what base GTS are selling for. i know I got lucky... but hey... I ain't complaining.

Color combos ect is another caveat. Everybody has a taste. I love Red and Yellow Vipers. Blue/White in third. From there, I'm not really particular. It's pretty hard to screw up a car with lines like this. In the end though, I'd pay more for a car with the color combo I want. Point is... how much more for an ACR or FE or whatever comes down as much to the buyer as much as anything else.

Bottom line... agreed... don't sweat the price thing... Drive it, enjoy it... in the end know it will, at the very least, depreciate less than a Vette. ;-)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree 100%. The Viper will not appreciate like an ultra rare, zillion dollar exotic (i.e. McLaren F1, Ferrari ENZO F40 F50 288 GTO or LaFerrari)

If you drive it, you lose value. If you don't drive it, you lose the interest you could have earned on the money plus the missed experience of driving one of the most fun cars on the planet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62