Viper paint quality original?

Cellamotors

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 94 black rt/10... Only 11 k, soposingly has original paint. Hard to say, but on the rear quarter gas door side. There is a lot of pockets, depressions, looks orange peely but it's under the paint.... If you rub your hand over it you can feel it really noticeable in shade. Looks like gel oat separating from fiberglass?.... Could this happen on original pain? How can it be fixed.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a pic. GEN1's have poor paint quality from the factory. Out in the sun no one can tell, but in the shade mine was noticeable. I had massive orange peel and fiberglass depressions on my 94', but this is normal. The hood was the worst. My GEN2 is better, but paint and prep didn't get good until the GEN3. It could also be resin gas release, but that usually creates small tiny bubbles in the paint, not orange peel. Also, fiberglass will form waves over time, nothing you can do except a full strip, fill, sand, and repaint. Just ignore it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you drive it more, you will end up with enough rock pits and general wear and tear that will make it necessary to re-paint the entire car.

Then the car will be totally sweet. :D

Until then, just try to only look at the parts of the car that aren't all jacked-up. :(

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pictures in your add show its a real clean viper. The dashboard in those cars get nicked and scratched real easy. To look good, most are repainted without that textured paint.

You're in the business what do you think about that quarter pannel? More important than some paint flaws is, did it have the head gaskets replaced?

Take a look at all the records the seller gave you, if it did make sure to mention that in your add. If not, you may get questioned about them.

OP
OP
C

Cellamotors

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.... I will try to post a pic, if I can get it to show up in the picture.... It's weird , paint looks great on whole car. Just that rear quarter gas side... Lots of dimples

You guys know your cars tho... I'm just a newbie.

Head gasket appears to be original paper gasket. I do get a oil burning smell at idle.
It looks as one of the valve cover gaskets might be seeping.

Thanks guys

Paul

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, I thought the factory original paint on my car sucked.
More orange peel than a Minute Made factory at juicing time.