Tire Temperature System

mikes603

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made this system (I'm an EE) for my car, and other HPDE guys I know. It's to know when your tires are up to operating temp. I thought I'd try and get some feedback here to see what people thought.

Here are the features of the kit:
  • Four IR sensors
  • Narrow 10deg sensor field of view for sampling tire sections
  • Large 1 1/12 by 2 1/2 inch display
  • Weather resistant; sensors can get wet without being ruined.
  • Removable lens cap if they need cleaning or replacement
  • Extra protective lenses
  • Does both fahrenheit and celsius
  • You can adjust the emissivity of each sensor (different materials reflect light at differing rates)
  • Quality harnesses
  • DC supply is designed for difficult automotive environments with large current dumps and voltage spikes

The installation is straight forward. You drill a small hole in the wheel arch for the sensor to poke through. Top center is best to account for changes in tire angle.

I'm aware 3 sensors per tire would be needed per corner to monitor camber load. But that's another kit--one with no display and CAN support for data-logging--and not this one, which is aimed at being sub $1k.

If anyone is interested just send me a PM or email me at mikes at ntisys.com

You must be registered for see images

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't do all this, just put in nitrogen and the proper air temp in the tires...my $.02

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm out.

Part of driving (at or near the limit) is feeling what's up with the car/brakes/tires.
A good driver develops a 6th sense for this over years of seat time. :drive:

If you have time to look at, and mentally process data, (that thing is for more numbers to look at and think about, beyond temp/oil gauges)
You are probably driving too slow. You can't be near the limit of the car, trying to 'feel' things, and be looking at display screens at the same time.
Eyes up, looking ahead, through the corner,... when you can pass the next car, and so on.
If you are looking at too much data stuff, you will be the one getting passed.

I can 'feel' when my tires are ready and have grip. Then I can feel when they get a little too hot as well, and I back off a bit for a lap.

HP driving is an art, as well as a science.
Too much techno crap can be hindering in my opinion.
Can make the driver focus on things besides driving. :nono:

:eater:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't most TPMS sensors monitor both pressure and temperature? I know that my after market TPMS does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets