aircon is only blowing on max speed, relay issue?

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI Guys,

I noticed my airconditioning works perfectly cold, but when I turn the most left button (in my 05) it will only blow on max, the other 3 or so settings will just turn the airco off completely. Also with AC turned off on the button, it won't blow fresh air into the car slowly, again only the max setting works.

Is there any "shifting" relay I can replace or what is wrong here?

thanks for your help

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may be able to pull the resistor out and re-solder it back to the terminal, I did this and it has been fine. However keep in mind it is likely your motor is binding, creating excessive current across the resistor and causing it to fail (melts solder joint and opens circuit). You should check the motor to ensure it is not binding up, otherwise a new resistor would also fail quickly. Mine was binding so I cleaned and lubricate it to ensure it rotated freely.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanx guys! This was some valuable information, I already got in there and with my feet sticking out above the car and my had in the passenger footwell, I managed to take out both the resistor and the blower itself, the blower seemed fine, but I cleaned it anyway and the resistor had 1 loose pole indeed. Gonna solder it back to it and refit it in 2 days. I';m pretty sure it'll be fine after that!

corrado.sv

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to thank you all, as I had exactly this same issue and solved the problem (at least for now) in 5 minutes!
Just two things to add on my side:
1. As I believe that the reason for the contact breaking is 99% due to poor design and vibration more than overheating (no trace of overheating/melting on mine) I tied the contact to the "resistor leg" with a bit of copper wire before re-soldering it, which will make it virtually unbreakable for the future.
2. I also find a crack on the ceramic housing of the resistor on mine, and a chunk came off by just putting my fingers on it, with no effort at all (I believe another sign of vibration failure), so I glued it back in place; I recommend to check for cracks in the ceramic before putting everything back where it belongs.
Again: thanks guys for being so helpful.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened to me (fan on High only), when you remove the resistor you will see it is blown, the safety has become unsoldered. The dealer wanted nearly $100 for the resistor so I went to eBay, bought it for $14.00, includes free delivery in 2 days via USPS.

Search the Dodge part number (5014212AA) on eBay. This resistor is shared with a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. This generic part I bought on eBay is not made by Dodge but it is an identical and direct replacement so of course it works beautifully.

To remove the wire connector you will need to press in on the release button with a small screwdriver while pulling it to get it off. Do it outside in the daylight so that you can get plenty of light under the dash to see the two screws that hold it in place. This is a very easy task.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper