2006 first trips down the track, trial an error, thoughts, questions Fun!

dhsl68

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took my 06 coupe to Milan Dragway in MI yesterday. This is the first time I had driven it at the track. Stock tires, American Racing stepped headers, Corsa exhaust K&N filters. SCT tune from Roe Racing. I tried a number of different launches, but could barely break a 60' time of 2.0xx. I did have a couple 1.9xx 60' times. My best run:

60'. 2.0275
1/4: 12.283
Mph: 120.2

The rest were 12.3 s, 12.4.

My best trap times came after a 13 Z06 embarrassed me in my second run. (12.0 vs 12.6) when talking to him he said he crossed the line in third. I know he has more rpm but I thought well, theoretically I might be ok, or close. My trap times when I stayed in third were 120.2 ans 121.2. When I shifted into 4th I couldn't get over 117. One pass I had a good run going but screwed up my shift into 4th and coasted over the line at 106 mph but still ran 12.33.
Of note, there was a large contingency of Supercharged Roush Mustangs there, running higher displacement supercharged motors. Most of them were easy to beat on that Wednesday.

I did not lower tire pressure, so I am sure that affected my starts. I did do a small burn out each time. Trying to wear out the run flats.

What's the safe RPM to run a gen 3 at? What is the weak link - valve train? Short block? I know I need to work on the shifting speed, but is staying in 3rd the way go? I shifted around 5600 rpm. Do short throw shifters really help?

Looking for all thoughts, opinions and advice.

It really was fun, and the car was easy to drive. ( Compared to the 70 Charger I sold to buy this car). I will be back there.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of those run-flat tires ASAP. They are the leading cause for more Vipers losing traction and meeting a wall or ditch. There is no warning when those tires let loose. They are also hard as rock, and will never get you the off-the-line traction that you seek. Lowering air pressure doesn't affect run-flats, think about it. When my '06 coupe was completely stock, it went 12.0 @ 119, so about the same. Never could get a good launch on the run-flats. Just about any non-runflat will have more traction than those tires. Nitto Invos are a good all-around tire with straight line grip.

Also, always shift at red-line, just before the rev limiter steps in. Never shift early, it screws you up on the next gear by putting the rpm too low. Also, If you ever experience wheel hop, always lift the throttle. Wheel hop kills drivetrain parts.

OP
OP
D

dhsl68

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. Getting rid of those tires is next on the list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper