Supercharged v-10!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not salivating. I would not use my TA for drag racing. It is a road racer. It is an interesting rumor. Nothing more. To increase the current engine to 770 HP with boost on an OEM basis - not aftermarket - would require alot of money; durability testing in all the usual environments; even stronger internals that would allow for enough of a cushion; probably bigger brakes ( as was the case with the Hellcat Challenger and Charger); a different suspension set up or available setting to allow a sit and squat launch for drag racing ( It would be neat to see Street, Track, and Drag settings); a stronger six speed which might be a variant of the modified Viper six speed used in the Hellcat Challenger; and, a number of other changes. Would it fit in with Dodge's revised and updated performance image? Yes. Is the business plan and money there to do it? I would be surprised. But it would be a pleasant surprise.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They can do some of that cheaper than it seems. Half the R&D was already done for the HellCat. Just tweak and carry over the 15.5" brakes, the modded T6060, and lower the compression. Skip the expensive suspension but offer stickier Trofeo's or MPS Cup2's. Provide an optional track key to bump up from 720 to 800HP to meet EPA standards and start taking orders, but keep it under $125k.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a model that will be shipped complete from Dodge or is this a Mopar upgrade to a current Vioer or both? This would get Vipers selling again if they do not over price them.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they offer a supercharged version of the Viper, they won't have to keep it under 125k.

This would be a car less bothered by price.
If you can't afford one, or can but aren't willing to pay because it's a Dodge or whatever, then shut up. -that will be the attitude, and few will complain.
Those that do complain will be the kind of people that are never satisfied or happy with anything.

The boosted versions of Mustang/Camaro/Challenger are 20-30k + over their regular versions.
Why would the Viper have to be some kind of cheap discount super car? -specially if it's top dog production monster again.

A factory supercharged V10 Viper will not have to apologize to anybody, or anything it meets.... anywhere. -for it's price, or manners.
The price will be less a factor for buyers of this car.
..............tires will be a problem though. ;)

-For anyone concerned about the Viper/Corvette rivalry,
Supercharging the V10 would really bum out the design team for the ZR1 Corvette.......:lmao:
..........They can't do anything that would even come close. :smirk:

..........:eater:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If they offer a supercharged version of the Viper, they won't have to keep it under 125k.

This would be a car less bothered by price.
If you can't afford one, or can but aren't willing to pay because it's a Dodge or whatever, then shut up. -that will be the attitude, and few will complain.
Those that do complain will be the kind of people that are never satisfied or happy with anything.

The boosted versions of Mustang/Camaro/Challenger are 20-30k + over their regular versions.
Why would the Viper have to be some kind of cheap discount super car? -specially if it's top dog production monster again.

A factory supercharged V10 Viper will not have to apologize to anybody, or anything it meets.... anywhere. -for it's price, or manners.
The price will be less a factor for buyers of this car.
..............tires will be a problem though. ;)

-For anyone concerned about the Viper/Corvette rivalry,
Supercharging the V10 would really bum out the design team for the ZR1 Corvette.......:lmao:
..........They can't do anything that would even come close. :smirk:

..........:eater:

I would tend to agree with that. The current car already beats most cars on the track, this would just be the bragging rights car, so price isn't as much of an issue.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is only one logical place where, if the story is true, the supercharged engines could be coming from and that is Arrow Racing Engines. If that is the case, the only thing that makes sense to me is that Arrow created a few supercharged Gen V Viper engines as a potential aftermarket excercise and sent a few to Dodge and SRT to test at their leasure and give feedback if they choose to.

I do not think the story means anything regarding the availability of a 2015 or 2016 OEM supercharged Gen V Viper. Sorry but reality has to step in at some point.

Let's hope that Dodge/SRT likes the boosted engines and gives good feedback to Arrow so that Arrow decides to offer an aftermarket supercharger kit for the Gen V. If Arrow does, I predict it will not be cheap. Why? Because the total number of Gen V's sold is low and not every Gen V owner will buy a kit. There has to be some sort of business case for Arrow to produce and sell it and that means there has to be enough buyers to justify production of the kit.

JM2Cs

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. The supercharged Viper is going to be OEM with a warranty. And it's only gonna cost $20k more than a T/A. That's what I saw in a dream last night.....with strippers.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. The supercharged Viper is going to be OEM with a warranty. And it's only gonna cost $20k more than a T/A. That's what I saw in a dream last night.....with strippers.

Two things I like .... Viper and strippers ..... Bet it was an awesome dream . Sorry you had to wake up .

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's odd, I had pretty much the same dream last night. Were you also wearing Sun-God robes and being pelted with tiny pickles?!;)

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers, ECU on a 100 octane tune, ported intakes, exhaust may get you to 708 HP and with much better HP to Weight ratio. Then call it a day.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If at some time in the future Dodge decides to use a positive displacement supercharger application like the one on the engines rumored to have been delivered to them, it will be interesting to see what they do to the suspension to deal with the additional weight of the supercharger and the intercooler. They will also have to go to a square brace under the hood instead of the x brace and utilize bigger brakes.

So the following would all have to be done to produce an OEM supercharged Viper.

1. Create a supercharged, intercooled V10 that meets durability standards.
2. Change the X brace out to a square brace.
3. Change and retune the suspension. Include in this process a suspension setting that will allow the car to sit and squat to hook up better for drag racing.
4. Upgrade the differential and half shafts (possibly the drive shaft) to withstand the greater power levels and the resulting additional stress to these components on a drag racing launch.
5. Upgrade the brakes.
6. Add a boost gauge. ( They probably already have this in the Hellcat cars so they can cannibalize.)
7. Upgrade the Tremec 6060 even more to take the additional power. ( The six speed in the Hellcat Challenger is an upgraded Viper six speed so it should not be a probem to upgrade it even more with more robust internals.)
8. Develop and test the new calibration for the engine. ( This was probably done to some extent in the engines that were rumored to have been delivered.)

I am sure that there are other things that would need to be done but I think this is a good starting list and I would be glad to help them test the car. (Smile).

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys there is a LARGE DIFFERENCE between a PRETITE SUPERCHARGER application and a POSTTITLE application.In order to do pretitle Dodge must spend millions in R&D to insure all testing -warranty applications are followed .Post title (RACE APPLICATION ECT )is what this kit will most likley be because theres no money for this car to begin with(LOL at the factory level pretitle you just do not go bolting on superchargers and or switching motor platform apps- LOL IT DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT .)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I'm just an engineer but have seen crazy marketing at work.Agree with #1 but could just be dyno + gasket supplier exercise.#2 is only for track rats and not needed for marketing.#3... see #2#4 emasculate via ECU so full torque not available at 0 MPH (as per my Daimler Charger)#5 Stop tech is available#6 fine, seems like window dressing. You gonna buy it for 800 hp and then not buy it because no gauge?#7 agree#8 your comment and #4In 1992 the Viper was a halo car and not at all sophisticated. This "could" be another one.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I spoke to Dick Winkles (Viper Engine platform engineer) and he indicated there are no plans to supercharge the G5 Viper engine for production. He indicated that the supercharged engine's that were delivered to Arrow were Hellcat V8's destined for the Drag Pack Challenger, which last came with a normaly aspirated Viper Engine. I think people thought these were V10's.

Looks like the biggest issue with supercharging the new Viper is the rest of the car. The driveline would need to be upgraded to hold up to the power and still have a warranty.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I like the idea of a supercharged V10 drag pack Challenger. Wouldn't have to worry about passing emissions that way ;)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Dick Winkles (Viper Engine platform engineer) and he indicated there are no plans to supercharge the G5 Viper engine for production. He indicated that the supercharged engine's that were delivered to Arrow were Hellcat V8's destined for the Drag Pack Challenger, which last came with a normaly aspirated Viper Engine. I think people thought these were V10's.

Looks like the biggest issue with supercharging the new Viper is the rest of the car. The driveline would need to be upgraded to hold up to the power and still have a warranty.
Exactly if theres one thing i learned from the mag guys its the ENTIRE car must work as a package (Chasis ,brakes ect )MUST be able to handle the power .Engine must PASS driveability emissions and durability tests (durability test is 3 days on the dyno at yellowline )On top of that you got the Govt Certification issues .ALL the above cost MILLIONS IN [email protected] the blower is post title(-RACE ONLY APP)Dodge doesnt have to BACK the work-car at all (theres no liability or warranty issues .)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea of a supercharged V10 drag pack Challenger. Wouldn't have to worry about passing emissions that way ;)
The motor still must be EPA recertifyed and all Chrysler Tests (driveability durability )still performed on the engine in the Viper .Also (as Dan mentioned) the cars brake system ,chasis are must likely modded to handle the added power .When the ACR version of the Gen 2 came out it was basically an air filter upgrade over the regular Gen 2 and it cost Dodge something like 500k to get it recert

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I mean just offer a supercharged V10 for the Drag Pack Challenger, not put it in the Viper as well. They already did the V10 Drag Pack Challenger and it's rated at 800+ hp because it doesn't have to meet typical company standards as it's intended purely as a race engine. Do the same thing with the gen 5 engine, just slap a supercharger on it and throw it in the Drag Pack Challenger for fun and bragging rights.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean just offer a supercharged V10 for the Drag Pack Challenger, not put it in the Viper as well. They already did the V10 Drag Pack Challenger and it's rated at 800+ hp because it doesn't have to meet typical company standards as it's intended purely as a race engine. Do the same thing with the gen 5 engine, just slap a supercharger on it and throw it in the Drag Pack Challenger for fun and bragging rights.[/QUOTE ] If its post title theres no bragging rights because its a modded car Tens of thousands of those Cha llangers are going to be built with that motor .In relation theres MAYBE 1500 TOTAL Gen 5s on the road .Out of the 1500 how many customers are going to VOID their warranty (KILL THEIR RESALE VALUE) bY slapping a bolt on blower kit on a 100k car.Also if you put the identical engine in both cars it cheapens the VIPER BIG TIME .In the FGT Ford went to big time expense to change the engine from the Cobra (different block material ,blower ,oiling system )They could have used the same engine in a super stang but it would have alienated the FGT buyer who spent 150 k to have something special

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember ANY BOLT ON SUPERCHARGER APPLICATION its Dodges disgression as to whether they want to VOID the warranty for the ENTIRE CAR (not just the motor )My buddy just went thru this with a bolt on Paxton on a 2013 Challanger. Dodge kicked the entire warranty on an issue that had nothing to do with the blower (dash rattle )The Zone Reps official reason for voiding the warranty was gross customer neg and abuse thru the addition of a bolt on power adder. To date my friend now has a 1500 mile car with a flagged warranty that he couldnt give away (any prospective buyer can easily find out this when its time to move the car=documented in vech history)As far as going to a friendly dealer per say how many ,FRIENDLY DEALERS are going to risk everything by committing warranty fraud ((every zone rep and situation is different as to the extent they look into warranty claims .Some want pictures, others want to inspect others dont want to be bothered)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.