Quote from Tim Kuniskis, head of Dodge

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
In regards to the Charger Hellcat, Mr. Kuniskis had this to say, “This is a car that has no business case... that no customer has asked us to build... but sometimes you need to disregard the data.... to built a car that defines itself.” He admitted he was joking to some degree, but it's still an interesting quote.

Sounds kind of familiar to me, sort of like the original Viper. At a time when performance was just coming back onto the stage after the economy 80s, a K car, arguably bland brand decides to build a supercar from whatever parts it can find in its warehouses. What was born was nothing short of a legend that has tugged at the heartstrings of many, young and old, over its 20 years of existence.

With all that said, sure there are those that wish the car was more, but at the same time sometimes there's only so much a company can do at one time. The gen 1 had its faults (the brakes on my mom's 94 still scare me) just as much as the gen 5 (power, style, price, lack of toys, etc. depending on who you talk to). There will always be teething issues with a newly designed car, and in the ever more demanding market where there are more options available than ever before, sometimes you just pick something because you like it. It may be the best thing ever made, it might be a total flop, but just remember that there are those out there that love the lemons as much as others love their rare cars with pedigree. For every Ferrari club out there I bet there's a Pinto club just the same.

Let's celebrate the passion of those who even brought the Viper back to the stage after the curtain closed on the gen 4. For a while it was uncertain if there would ever be another generation, and now that there is one everyone seems to have some bone to pick with it. Just remember that they could have chosen to make nothing at all. Let's not argue over why we personally might not like the car, let's encourage others to get out there and experience it for themselves instead to see what they think. What I like and what someone else likes can be two completely opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't think the interior of the gen 3 is all that cheap while others think that an 80s Civic had more class. The important thing is that every time I get in the car I enjoy myself. For all its faults it's still a blast to drive and turns heads no matter where it goes. Let's do what we can to keep the legend alive instead of preaching its doom.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, well said. It's not a perfect car, never was. Then again I don't think a "perfect" car exists.
Why focus on the short comings? Let's celebrate the things that are awesome, of which there are plenty.
A Viper, any generation, is a spectacular thing. :drive:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper