trasmission (or elsewhere) noise

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will be complicated for me describe my problem..but i try!
When i drive my rt10 at low rpm and i release gas pedal and after i push with energy on gas pedal, (typical off - on) i hear a noise like "tonk" as if i took a little stone under car floor and beat on stick gear..My hand on stick gear feels too..
If i push gas pedal softly or i drive at mid or high rpm, this problem doesn't exist.
My car has 8000 miles...
I hope that you understand what i'm saying :rolleyes:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is car all stock? I would check all universal joints first.

OP
OP
Casper

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car is stock. I will check all joints. I hope that will not heavy problem..

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like normal Viper driveline clunk to me.
All Vipers do this to some degree.

They don't like going slow with you on and off the gas........

OP
OP
Casper

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have you owned the car/ miles driven in it and what year is it?

I have my Viper from 4 months and i drive her for 1000 miles. Viper is RT-10 m.y. 2000

Problem is that nobody has a Viper here in Italy..and i can't understand what is normale or not..Sunday i went to american cars event..There was many many american cars, Corvette C1, C2, every Cadillac,Mustang Shelby, Hot Rod, dragster, etc. but one Viper...mine..

i could make a video with noise and upload it...

p.s. Thank you Allan

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..............about being the only Viper at the car show,

It's like that for most of us here in America too.

With your Viper, you will always stand out in the crowd. :2tu:

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casper just turn up the tunes on the radio and that would fix pretty much much everything. :D

8.0L>1.8T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're hearing powertrain slop..
Replace motor and transmission mounts.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan:3258187 said:
Sounds like normal Viper driveline clunk to me.
All Vipers do this to some degree.

They don't like going slow with you on and off the gas........

+1

Yea, normal viper drivetrain slop mainly shows up at light throttle low rpm cruising. With this, the driver is the only thing to fix by having a smooth analog movements with his foot. If you aren't able to adapt to it then try going down 1 gear to bring the rpm's up a bit. If "bucking" occurs then either get on the throttle or completely off it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah..........when in a parking lot with a bunch of hot girls looking at the car, push in the clutch right away when the clunking happens.
That way you don't look like a dork that's driving a car while it's falling apart.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replace motor and transmission mounts.

With only 8000 miles on the car? I wouldn't think that there would be significant degradation. I guess that ozone and time could cause the rubber to stiffen up and could make the normal driveline "slop" issue be more noticeable.

OP
OP
Casper

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry but i would specify that noise is not clunck that appears when you go slow and use too high gear..and engine kick when release gas pedal and you must push clutch or downshift to stop it..(as succeeds when you are beginner with stick shift).
Noise is only when you quickly touch gas pedal (not only deeply gas pedal press) and engine is in low torque.

8.0L>1.8T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With only 8000 miles on the car? I wouldn't think that there would be significant degradation. I guess that ozone and time could cause the rubber to stiffen up and could make the normal driveline "slop" issue be more noticeable.

8,000 miles yes. However the 14-15 year old rubber mounts could be bad. Do you trust 14-15 year old Viper tires so long as they only have 8k on them? Doubt it.

sorry but i would specify that noise is not clunck that appears when you go slow and use too high gear..and engine kick when release gas pedal and you must push clutch or downshift to stop it..(as succeeds when you are beginner with stick shift).
Noise is only when you quickly touch gas pedal (not only deeply gas pedal press) and engine is in low torque.

Your either describing drivetrain/powertrain slop, in which case, replace your mounts, it'll help. Or you're describing bucking at low speeds. Check and clean your IAT sensor, the idle speed control hose for cracks, and double check your throttle bodies are in sync. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets