How is the Viper on driveways or entrances with an incline?

searchison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious how they do, it appears as though they have enough clearance. My 911 is fine as well as my Shelby. My driveway is not that bad, any information would be appreciated.

I tried a search and came up with nothing.

Thank you!!!

Bryan Savage

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What?

The Gen V's have a "hill start" function that prevents rollback on a hillstart assist.

My TA is only barely worse than my '06 300 SRT8. It's really not that bad. The specs say that that approach angle is 10.73 degrees, but it feels like way more than that.

OP
OP
S

searchison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What?

The Gen V's have a "hill start" function that prevents rollback on a hillstart assist.

My TA is only barely worse than my '06 300 SRT8. It's really not that bad. The specs say that that approach angle is 10.73 degrees, but it feels like way more than that.

Thank you, I would assume the TA makes clearance slightly less especially at an angle, that is good news that yours is not that much worse than your SRT8, I should be fine if I decide to go this route.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hill assist what? He wants to know if he'll scrape his nose. The answer is five inches. And TA doesn't change with front areo on the splitter because the lowest part of the front isn't the front lip; it's further back in front of the front wheels. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

searchison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hill assist what? He wants to know if he'll scrape his nose. The answer is five inches. And TA doesn't change with front areo on the splitter because the lowest part of the front isn't the front lip; it's further back in front of the front wheels. Hope this helps.
It looks like I should be fine, I only thought the TA would be worse because I approach at an angle and it appears to be lower on the sides. Thank you!!!

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a fairly low riding Gen 4 ACR and it scraped the rear when I pulled out of the driveway, while the TA would clear. However due to the front splitters being on the side and protrude another 2" from the bottom of the car, you may not take driveways at an angle like a non TA Gen V w/o the aero kit. I plan on lowering my TA about an inch in the front and 3/4 inch in the back, and when I do, I'll take the front splitters off to gain the ground clearance back and then some.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're having a new house built in Ft Worth and just got down to the driveway approach design this week. My concrete guy is one of the best in town according to my builder and the city inspector that I talked to this morning. He measured my '01 GTS and set up a template to be used when laying out the driveway slopes and transitions.

When all the design dust settled, we put in for special permission from the city to deviate from the code. Thankfully, Ft Worth granted that permission.

Others had told me that my Gen II looked lowered even though it has stock shocks and springs. The clearance on the front fascia chin is only 3 1/2 inches. Be careful when/if you use the approach angle specs to determine whether you will clear or not. The crown of the roadway you are entering from and the dip/depression for the curb gutter come into play also.

OP
OP
S

searchison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all, I think it would be fine based on the replies. Now I have to decide if I want to sell 2 toys for 1.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Renting a condo while building. Not sure what the lip is, must be a standard thing. I most often scrape backing out and pulling in (both at an angle). Had the Gen 5 on a lift for oil change and it's the plastic guards that are making contact with the cement, not the car's body. My gen 3 scraped from time to time at the last house I built, 2 years ago. The gen 2 also scraped most of the time at another house. Just minor scuffs where you would have to lay down on the road to see them.

Last edited:

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Others had told me that my Gen II looked lowered even though it has stock shocks and springs. The clearance on the front fascia chin is only 3 1/2 inches. Be careful when/if you use the approach angle specs to determine whether you will clear or not. The crown of the roadway you are entering from and the dip/depression for the curb gutter come into play also.

Standard street curbs and parking lot bumpers are 5½ high, I'm getting my Gen 2 on Monday, do I have to get out and look? It seems that on a standard curb (that all slope down for a gutter) with diagonal parking that the tires would set back and up higher and it wouldn't be a problem, but the parking lot bumpers look like they will present a problem.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like something worth trying. Guess I'll have to check on their return policy if they don't work for me.

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is only one fool proof solution if you run into trouble; buy a minivan! lol!!