Returning to the Viper world: Gen5...How different from previous Gen4 and Gen2?

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I have owned 3 Vipers in the past (2002 Final Edition Gen2, 2010 Final Edition Gen4, & Gen4 convertible) and a few years ago sold them to move into some
other cars. Since then, I have owned a couple FGTs, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2008 Ford GT500KR, 2008 Ferrari 430 Spider 6MT, 2013 Ferrari 458 (keeper), 2013 Ford GT500 Convertible, etc... I have missed the raw power and driving experience of my Vipers and I am looking at coming back with a 2014 or 2015. While there are great cars out there, the Viper is still one mean ***** and different from the rest! My timing couldn't be better with the recent $15K off MSRP deal. I have regretted selling my Vipers ever since...When I see one on the road, it drives me crazy!!! I want back in!
My question is how different does a Gen5 drive from a Gen4? I know that my Gen2 was a different beast altogether from my Gen4, but I would like to hear some comments from Gen5 owners that have been owners of previous generations of Vipers, especially the Gen4. Specifically how she puts the power down and the steering feel? Previous Vipers tended to be a bit fidgety in the steering and if you hit a groove in the pavement, it could pull you in the ditch if weren't
careful. Also, I have heard that the quality control has been better and that the paint is better along with the stripes being under the clear coat (no more palpable ridge...nice and smooth transition between the stripe and the rest of the paint). Please share your thoughts as I hope to be in a car in a car (either off floor or ordering) in the next few weeks. Thank you, in advance.
Rob

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would say why even ask us?! just take it for a test drive and decide for yourself! Trust me..you'll be driving your own soon enough.
Good luck!
So many great deals out there .

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you after 9000 miles and 12 days on the road course that at least the TA doesn't have any handling issues at all...not even a single slight peculiarity. I've tracked it in the rain, in oppressive heat, drove mine to a track day on Friday in freak low 20's temps and on track at below 40F and you cannot fault this car. Steering is well-weighted and precise, doesn't tramline or want to ever pull you into a ditch, and the TA puts the power down extremely well unless the tires are cold, and incredibly well when they are at track temps if that's in your future. The car is a dream to drive at the limits, and even when you exceed them it is a non-event regaining control with little to no effort....done it many times on track at up to 100 mph. The excellent Lightning Lap results and Laguna Seca Record also speak volumes about its performance.

Build quality, paint and finish are all exceptional. Local owners recommended a great dealer for service and it's a pleasure taking the car in for maintenance. Couldn't be happier with the car, and considering buying a 2015.

OP
OP
T

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you after 9000 miles and 12 days on the road course that at least the TA doesn't have any handling issues at all...not even a single slight peculiarity. I've tracked it in the rain, in oppressive heat, drove mine to a track day on Friday in freak low 20's temps and on track at below 40F and you cannot fault this car. Steering is well-weighted and precise, doesn't tramline or want to ever pull you into a ditch, and the TA puts the power down extremely well unless the tires are cold, and incredibly well when they are at track temps if that's in your future. The car is a dream to drive at the limits, and even when you exceed them it is a non-event regaining control with little to no effort....done it many times on track at up to 100 mph. The excellent Lightning Lap results and Laguna Seca Record also speak volumes about its performance.

Build quality, paint and finish are all exceptional. Local owners recommended a great dealer for service and it's a pleasure taking the car in for maintenance. Couldn't be happier with the car, and considering buying a 2015.

Bruce,
Thank you for your insight.

OP
OP
T

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I understand that testing the car out is the ultimate way for me to tell how the car drives...I am asking for your opinions!!! Share some of your passion for this new Viper...
To say it drives "great" and "better" than previous Vipers is nice, but it adds nothing to the discussion. Please be specific. How do you find the car better? Why do you find the
car better? Do you enjoy driving this one more than previous generations? Do you feel like you can control all of that power and torque in the Gen5 better than previous generations?
If this car is to survive, more people are going to have to buy them...why are we so shy in sharing what a kick ass ride this new Gen5 Viper has become?
Come on...bring the passion for Vipers!!!

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your goal to really find out or just discuss it. There has been a ton of discussion on this topic by many Gen5 owners already.

Here is an example: (I wrote this back in May. Now have 2k miles on the car and just like it better in every way. Seriously, they are night and day. I know, I am referencing a Gen3, but the Gen3/4 are very very similar in drivability other than the motor which the Gen4 motor is more like the Gen5. Gen2, other than similar body, nothing else to compare)

GenV with 700miles compared to Gen3 with 16,000 miles pros/cons

Ok, I have waited until I got reasonable mileage (700) on the GenV before posting a comparison. First context of the two cars:

1) 05 Commemorative Edition conv with MCS suspension, 3.33 OSGiken gears, acr brakes (track pack) and PS2 tires
2) 13 Gen5 Launch Edition (100% stock)

So, I have had the Gen3 almost since new and the Gen5 the last two months purchased new and here is a comparison of my experiences:

First, no ambiguity here, the Gen5 is a significantly better built car, it just is in virtually every and any way you can imagine, but does still have pros/cons for each.

Gen5:
Pros: higher quality, great electronics, much stiffer frame, more responsive steering, my opinion is better looking, shifter/transmission much improved, new front end (personally wanted to get away from traditional viper fronts for something new), clamshell hood
Cons: Not as comfortable seats (atleast maybe seats not fully broken in), more finicky to engage first gear due to maybe the aluminum flywheel, taller first gear or just less torque at that speed, engine plastic valve covers, and lastly the small drone at 2000rpm?

Gen3:
Pros: Convertible open air experience (no replacing that feeling), car feels smaller but think mainly because of rear visibility and narrower front, great low-end torque (just let the clutch out and it goes) and with MCS suspension, has a smoother ride if set to soft settings, no drone but likely because a conv, great looking engine.
Cons: Not a gen5... Seriously, it is an almost 10yr car and in comparison, you feel that. Not as explosive at the top end, no cruise, no great electronics, not as stiff.

So, at the end of the day, the biggest shocker is how different the cars are from an experience level, yet both great from just different perspectives. This surprised me because the frames, suspensions, dimensions are very similar, but yet they drive completely differently. Some like to say the older models are more "raw". If referring to lack of leather, electronics, then sure, but if referring to the driving experience at full throttle, I actually think the Gen5 becomes very "raw" in that it is louder and more violent. (so don't let the pretty face fool you)

This is a great thing for me because I can justify keeping both cars due to the different positive experience each provides and the cool factor of having two #'d cars of opposite paint schemes.

So, to finish, what would I change on the Gen5?
1) slightly lower 1st gear and maybe 3.33 gears vs 3.55's, but just a knit as it works great with the new shifter/trans
2) seats a bit more comfortable (hoping just a break-in cycle as others have mentioned
3) wish rear hatch opened with a single push of button
4) wish it came with MCS suspension from factory to get both better ride, more adjustability and ride height adjustment.
5) clamshell hood with carbon fiber is so cool, yet the motor it exposes not as good looking as the gen3 piece.

While I understand that testing the car out is the ultimate way for me to tell how the car drives...I am asking for your opinions!!! Share some of your passion for this new Viper...
To say it drives "great" and "better" than previous Vipers is nice, but it adds nothing to the discussion. Please be specific. How do you find the car better? Why do you find the
car better? Do you enjoy driving this one more than previous generations? Do you feel like you can control all of that power and torque in the Gen5 better than previous generations?
If this car is to survive, more people are going to have to buy them...why are we so shy in sharing what a kick ass ride this new Gen5 Viper has become?
Come on...bring the passion for Vipers!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some additional data. Read the entire thread. I believe some found the data useful and decided to buy a Gen V.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...people-are-so-fickle.?highlight=people+fickle

Hi Bob,
There is some good stuff there. I should have mentioned that I am interested in buying a GTS version of the Viper, so not quite so ******** as the TA, which by all accounts, appears to be a beast of a car! Funny, there were some comments concerning a future Viper having a DCT...I think that the Viper should NEVER have a DCT. It is getting to the point where the Viper may end up being the last Manual 6 Speed of its kind and that is a niche that the Viper should own. I can tell you that while I understand why all the European Supercars have gone to paddle shifting, the Viper is still a sports car of the American Muscle variety...a different kind of beast. It should stay distinctly different!!! I have owned many paddle shift cars and while they are faster to shift, they are not as fun to drive. The level of engagement in manual shifting through the "H" pattern will always be more fun. Most of us will never know the limits of any of these beastly cars...we are just in it for the fun. I am looking to get back into the fun. There is a guy local to me with a Gen5 bumble bee that just looks so bad-****, sounds so bad-****...drives me nuts. I just love a VIPER. Please, owners of Gen5 cars...share your thoughts. I will be talking to John Gastman today! I bought 2 out of my past 3 Vipers from him.
While my favorite color combo is GTS Blue/White stripes...it isn't a color that is offered currently or in 2015...so, I am thinking about Stryker Orange/white stripes. Any thoughts?
The other is GTS-R Blue...but it looks pretty dark...is it a metallic flake?

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Gen IV Coupe and now have a 2014 GTS Gen V. If you do a search, you will find my review comparing the two cars.

Best of luck in your decision.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 2008 Gen IV that I daily drove, and put almost 48,000 miles on over the course of four years. Had a Lamborghini Gallardo after that, and am now back in a 2013 Launch Edition Viper. Got the car with 16 miles on it, and in the 9 or 10 days I've been able to drive it, I've put over 800 miles on it driving back and forth from work and running errands. This is me trying to limit how much I drive the car.

The Gen V is better in every way, although getting in and out is still as difficult as it was in the Gen IV. It has to be my only complaint with the car.

I had removed my mufflers for my 2008 because I thought it was way too quiet, but the 2013 sounds just about as good stock, if not just a tad quieter. The interior is very high quality (Laguna leather) and is often something I boast about to those looking at the car, especially how grippy it is, and how nice the alcantara headliner is. Seats are comfy, although my wallet is thick and can be a little uncomfortable when I am wearing jeans. Not an issue in slacks, as my wallet will go to the side (solution is to throw out some crap in my wallet).

I also have the 18 speaker stereo and it sounds great on music from my phone. My 2008 got the job done and sounded better than a few other Gen IV's I was in (they all varied for some reason) but the Harmon Kardon has much better clarity at higher volumes, very clear highs, and a good amount of bass depending on the quality of the music streaming via my phone. I had really missed the stereo controls behind the spokes of the steering wheel in my 1999 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T, so I was happy to see this on the new car, and use it ALL the time. A/C works great, but will blow hot under WOT in what I assume is an effort to minimize power loss from the engine. I'm glad I am able to close my driver side vent, as my hand would go numb on long rides with the A/C on.

The tech in the car is also handy (hill assist holds the car for 3 seconds on an incline, while you move from the brake to the gas pedal), and the back-up camera helps a ton (as visibility would be difficult otherwise when backing up. The instrument cluster is fancy, and I never look at the analog speedometer, as I have the tach configured to show the digital speed. The digital tach is kind of laggy, so I can't rely on it 100% when shifting close to redline, but I've learned to shift around 6k instead of at the rev-limiter.

The steering wheel is thick, and I like the bolsters on the bottom of the wheel, in addition to the flat bottom, which comes in handy getting in/out of the car in tight parking spots. The steering wheel has a good amount of force, which I like for a car that responds almost instantly to steering input. Car still accelerates well, and the new gearing does make it livelier in 3-6, but I almost wish I had the stock Gen IV gearing. Having to shift into 5th around 134 mph really *****, although the new shifter is world's better than the Gen IV, I still wish I had the option of putting an MGW in there. Straight-line traction is good in Dallas's 90F weather, we will see how it holds up in cooler weather in a few weeks.

I have let close to 15 people drive my car since purchase, and all of them loved it (one filled out a credit app that same day to get a Gen V). This car is everything my Gen IV was, with current tech to make it much more enjoyable to drive every day. If you are a Viper guy, you will LOVE it!!

EdwardETraylorIII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Night. And. Day.

No Contest.

I've driven a few Gen IV's lately and they just can't even compare (quite frankly). I wouldn't own a Gen IV and I'm considering buying a Second Gen V.

Enjoy you new Gen V... It's imminent!

OP
OP
T

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I have plans to order my 2015 Viper GTS as soon as my dealer has the information to do so. Where can I find a list of available options, i.e., available track pack, aero, 12 speaker sound system, etc...? The official web site isn't helpful and you can't really configure a car the way you want it...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 7 days and 400 miles into mine and it gives me everything I love about my GTS and everything I've been wanting in a more modern car. When I first got in it just felt so familiar like I was in my GTS just buff and on steroids or something. I love the sound especially decelerating... it has a great howl to it. If I had to site the most significant improvement it would be that the tires don't pull you around and the bump steer on dips is non existent. The car is just fabulous !

You must be registered for see images attach

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful pics bro. Not a insult but do you like the stripes stopping on the hood like that? I have not seen one up close with that stripe style so I can't say if I like it or not... The yellow on the other hand is just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments... I wasn't sure about the stripes either until I saw a few cars in person a year or so ago. The contour seems to works better with the SRT hood. On on lighter color cars with full black stripes the front grill sort of merges with the stripes and makes the car look less wide. I get a ton of compliments on my 98 silver blue stripes GTS but the compliments and picture taking on the bumble bee are off the chart. The closer you get the better it looks. I couldn't be happier. They even used one like this on Leno's Garage.

check these images...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...WIEc2xrA3ZpZXdtb3Jl?p=yellow+black+2013+viper

Last edited:

adprokid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited: