What are buyer's paying for their new Viper GTS?

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are buyer's paying for their new Viper GTS with the drop in MSRP and additional discounts? For instance, if a car has an MSRP of $140K, what would be a good deal on this car with all of the incentives, discounts, etc...? I found a couple GTS cars out there that I am interested in, but I have been out of the Viper game for a few years, so I am not so up-to-date with the deep deals currently out there. Thank you, in advance.
Rob

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of dealers are trying to hang in there and get top dollar but they aren't selling.
Many are trying to portray the 15K price reduction by Dodge as some kind of incentive THEY are offering, when as we know it isn't. It's an across the board discount.
I look at it like this.
No matter what you pay, no matter what the MSRP is on the car, if you were to buy one and drive it around the block and trade it in you would get maybe 70-75K.
IF they would even offer it. So base your offer on that. And that's a fact.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper Jon,

To put out statements like that do absolutely no good for the continuation of the Viper and have no basis in fact at all. Basing an offer on a car ( you do not state if it is a SRT or GTS or 13 or 14 ) and saying that 70-75 is what it will be worth is not responsible, since many of the major Dealers are offering more depending on model/etc. -- huge difference in a 2014 GTS trade and a base 2013 trade. Could one be offered in the 70s for a used Gen V, sure, but a blanket statement of no year or model is just inappropriate with no verification at all.

elitex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 2013 Viper SRT with leather seats for $73k with 130 miles on it. It was bought as used because someone had it titled then sold it. I think I got a pretty good deal.

dasvolk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my 2014 with the Sabelt seats, CF Aero and the black wheels wearing PZero Corsa's for 90, brand new.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought my 2013 Viper SRT with leather seats for $73k with 130 miles on it. It was bought as used because someone had it titled then sold it. I think I got a pretty good deal.

This was from a dealer or private party?? I was a bit confused if the first owner traded it back to the dealer from your statement. What color? Sweeeeet deal

elitex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was from a dealer or private party?? I was a bit confused if the first owner traded it back to the dealer from your statement. What color? Sweeeeet deal

Bought it from a dealer. Apparently someone bought it, didn't really drive it and sold it back to the dealer after few months. Car had 130 or so miles when I test drove it. Car is a Red color, not Stryker red.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just paid $91k for this new '14 GTS that had an old MSRP of $141k and $126k MSRP after the Dodge price reduction. Very happy ! Had no voucher to use. Car had 2 miles on it.

You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Jon,

To put out statements like that do absolutely no good for the continuation of the Viper and have no basis in fact at all. Basing an offer on a car ( you do not state if it is a SRT or GTS or 13 or 14 ) and saying that 70-75 is what it will be worth is not responsible, since many of the major Dealers are offering more depending on model/etc. -- huge difference in a 2014 GTS trade and a base 2013 trade. Could one be offered in the 70s for a used Gen V, sure, but a blanket statement of no year or model is just inappropriate with no verification at all.

"No good for the continuation of the Viper" "Not responsible" and "is just inappropriate" Those statements coming from a dealer - you've got to be kidding! That's just plain funny. What will hurt the continuation (if any occurs) to the Viper are dealers that pocket most of the 15K discount for themselves and offer basement low trade-in values for pre-owned Vipers. Sound familiar?

Face it folks, Vipers are a money losing proposition right now. IMO you'd have to be crazy to buy a new Gen5 at these ridiculous prices - you don't have to look far to see a number of Gen5 buyers whose cars are worth 45-50K less than what they paid just a few months ago. True, there are a few people getting some half-way decent deals, but they are few and far between. And even those "decent deal" cars will be worth considerably less in just a couple of months. I had been shopping around for a while looking to get a Gen5 and from what I have found most Dodge dealers don't even want to take a Viper in on trade. What does that tell you about the car's value? How does that bode for the "continuation of the Viper"?

Dealers can't dump the new ones so they sure as heck don't want any used ones - that is unless they can get your Viper for pennies on the dollar. A quick search on the net and you'll find close to 400 "new" Vipers for sale. Of course, "new" includes the 2-year leftover 2013s and the now, leftover 2014 models.

I say let the greedy dealers choke on their "new" Vipers. I realize they won't be hurting too, too, much - given many dealers are already marking up new Hellcat's 10K -15K over MSRP.

Yeah, someone commenting on the dropping value of Vipers hurts the chances of continuing the car line, but dealers trying to gouge customers - naw, that won't chase away consumers from the brand or hurt future Mopar sales. Yeah, right...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill
I have the utmost respect for you as a premier Dodge dealer, but the simple fact is what I said was true.
I think the Gen V is a great car, was in one last night. Love it.

BUT.....
There are numerous accounts both here and on other sites of dealers offering ludicrously low trade in numbers on lightly used '13's trade in's.
Please go reread the thread on "resale values". Please note the guy who paid 140k+ and was offered 70K.

Fully loaded GTS's are selling for mid 90's now. What on earth would the trade in be on one assuming you can find a dealer to accept it.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The value of the car goes beyond numbers, retail versus wholesale, math etc. I paid $22k below sticker in January for 2013 base track pack. A day later it was worth less and now.... well it just doesn't matter because I am keeping it for a while. I drive it almost every day to work (very short ride) and now 6000 miles later, I enjoy it so much that my SUV that was supposed to be my daily stays parked. I consider I paid a fair price for an ultra- high performance automobile that offers me 640hp (like I will ever use it...lol), 206 mph (not been in triple digits yet) exclusivity, a work of art, and a big smile every time I walk up to the thing. I could not find all these characteristics in any other car at that price.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Well said pathoguy, enjoy the car, if we all worry about what we paid vs what its worth, we'd be older and grayer each day. When the real estate market tanked, everyone was complaining that they had no equity in their homes, when in reality 90%+ of the homeowners will never move & never do anything with their equity. So, go buy what you want, and enjoy it!!

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said pathoguy, enjoy the car, if we all worry about what we paid vs what its worth, we'd be older and grayer each day. When the real estate market tanked, everyone was complaining that they had no equity in their homes, when in reality 90%+ of the homeowners will never move & never do anything with their equity. So, go buy what you want, and enjoy it!!

This kind of thinking amazes me. I guess the idea is as long as you enjoy a car it's okay - don't bother thinking about all the money you just tossed away. For me, I'd like to enjoy my car and also get a good deal. I guess living in oblivion and making up nonsensical comparisons to real estate helps some buyers live with the fact they just took it in the shorts. By the way, the average American homeowner moves every 5-6 years. But hey, make up whatever crazy reference you need to justify poor financial purchases.

Oh and by the way, we all are older and grayer each day. Cars have nothing to do with that.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon,

Key word is "Fact" , since there are plenty of us paying more than that for high quality used Vipers ,and of course there are Dealers that are offering ridiculously low trade in values, but they are not getting the cars as you noted - same ones that want out of the market and will not be there for owners when they want service as they are not committed to the Viper or their owners. All I am saying is to put down that it is a fact that Vipers are worth a set amount without stating year , model, etc. is blanket statement that has no validity. It is analgous to saying a 1500 square foot house is selling for 150,000 -- may be in Mississippi, but doubt in California. Not arguing that some prices are low, but " Fact" is too strong a word and not proven on such an open, broad basis , of course.

Have a good weekend , and hopefully you will get back into a Viper soon .......

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't bother thinking about all the money you just tossed away

It's a sports car not an investment. It's an irrational, irresponsible purchase to begin with. Who spends $70-80-90-100-200-300K on just two seats, enough trunk space for a toothbrush, unuseable horsepower (for most street driving), questionable gas mileage and visibility etc etc........lots of folk that's who and for all the insane reasons that I do. It's fun, it's a passion, it's emotionally rewarding, it's a blast to drive, it's so much more.......

I agree with you though about the shorts thing.......some take in the shorts.....some talk out of the shorts

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a sports car not an investment. It's an irrational, irresponsible purchase to begin with. Who spends $70-80-90-100-200-300K on just two seats, enough trunk space for a toothbrush, unuseable horsepower (for most street driving), questionable gas mileage and visibility etc etc........lots of folk that's who and for all the insane reasons that I do. It's fun, it's a passion, it's emotionally rewarding, it's a blast to drive, it's so much more.......

I agree with you though about the shorts thing.......some take in the shorts.....some talk out of the shorts

Paying too much for a car you could have bought for much less in a few months is "Emotionally rewarding?" I guess rewarding is subjective.

Not all sports car purchases are irrational - only ones where the buyer overpays and gets 60 HP less than the Manufacturer's pony car that lists at half the price of a new Viper.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the Gen5 - even with all of its shortcomings. I'm just not foolish enough to spend what dealers are trying to get for them. In fact, I'm really glad there are folks that foolishly blow their money on these cars and pay way too much. That lets everyone else that has connected brain cells buy these as second owners for half the price in a year or two. And as far as "lots of folks" buying then - maybe not so many as you think. Everyone knows, well everyone outside this thread knows, the 15K drop in price was not because they were flying off the showroom floors. Just ask the dealers with 2 year old models sitting on their lots or recent buyers that have a hard time selling them or trading them in at 60% what they paid in just a year and a half.

You can always tell when someone realizes they overpaid for a car - they say something like " it just doesn't matter because I am keeping it for a while."

Irrational - for some, you bet. And through these forums its open to the world to see who those people are.

Yeah, some really do take it in the shorts...

Now getting back to the OP, it appears the answer is "too much."

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us travel back in time for a moment...one thousand years e.g. Now, let us replace the Viper with a woman. You would pay a premium for a clean ******. If I sold you a ****** and you brought her back to me wanting anywhere near what I sold her to you for....I would laugh uncontrollably for about 30 seconds before I killed you.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

This pretty much confirms Viperjon's assertion on the values of the Gen V. Some have more money than sense. If they can blow that kind of cash, more power to them. I can't.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHD and BP are exceptional, but they are the exception, NOT the rule. The Gen.5 ,does need some modern safety updates(side/knee air bags) and more HP and DCTs etc.,but it is a good value at the fire sales prices now a days.If you buy a new one now ,you are stuck with it or like some one said,sell it and take pennies on the dollar for it...This is reality, like it or not....

Dodge going forward, should NOT built one more new Viper, except confirmed personnel orders for real people until every one of the new Vipers sitting in these greedy dealers show rooms are sold .This will take a couple years ,but the greedy dealers are the ones who caused the issues with the Gen.5s by ordering 140,000.00 GTSs to sit roped off in showrooms and making the confirmed orders wait a year...This ********** hundreds of very good customers forever.... Not a good thing for the future of the Viper....

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dwhitt,outstanding machine and price..91,000.00 for a GTS Viper like that (Crazy)....All said,if these prices continue to free fall, I will be forced to get me one and keep it for the remainder....I will be soon low balls a couple dealers here in South Fla ,just got to let them sit a little longer...Well see....

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us travel back in time for a moment...one thousand years e.g. Now, let us replace the Viper with a woman. You would pay a premium for a clean ******. If I sold you a ****** and you brought her back to me wanting anywhere near what I sold her to you for....I would laugh uncontrollably for about 30 seconds before I killed you.

Thanks for the nonsensical contribution - now slowly step away from the keyboard...

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just waiting patiently, they will get to my range eventually. There are 400 for sale, new on autotrader. And winter is coming in. Let's see what happens in the next few months. Will be interesting. Car is stunning, but SRT did a **** job marketing and pricing it out.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, don't get me wrong. I like the Gen5 - even with all of its shortcomings. I'm just not foolish enough to spend what dealers are trying to get for them. In fact, I'm really glad there are folks that foolishly blow their money on these cars and pay way too much. That lets everyone else that has connected brain cells buy these as second owners for half the price in a year or two.

Post translated: Blah blah blah I don't have enough money blah blah blah you people are stupid blah blah blah blah.

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post translated: Blah blah blah I don't have enough money blah blah blah you people are stupid blah blah blah blah.

Not that I have anything to prove to someone that doesn't know diddly squat... but sitting in my garage I have one of the 400 (1of 280 in the US) FF SRT 6-spd Challengers ever made (with only 210 miles,) a 71 Dodge that was used as the model for a major toy manufacturer's template to produce their muscle car series, along with a 2003 Viper with 6,000 miles along with four other Mopars.

Comments like yours simply prove how uneducated simpletons respond.

I also find your previous comment about selling women especially telling of your ignorance. I choose not to buy a Viper that lacks in performance because it is way overpriced.

Now, don't go away mad - just go away. Really, you're free2go away.

Back to the OP's post...

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I have anything to prove to someone that doesn't know diddly squat... but sitting in my garage I have one of the 400 (1of 280 in the US) FF SRT 6-spd Challengers ever made (with only 210 miles,) a 71 Dodge that was used as the model for a major toy manufacturer's template to produce their muscle car series, along with a 2003 Viper with 6,000 miles along with four other Mopars.

Comments like yours simply prove how uneducated simpletons respond.

I also find your previous comment about selling women especially telling of your ignorance. I choose not to buy a Viper that lacks in performance because it is way overpriced.

Now, don't go away mad - just go away. Really, you're free2go away.

Back to the OP's post...

Post translated: Blah blah blah I've got a bunch of cars blah blah blah your stupid blah blah blah go away.