Viper Track Event at Buttonwillow Jan 17-18, 2015

2thdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the organizers asked me to post this event up to help get the word out. It is not a Viper Club event and it's open to all Viper owners.

Here is all the sign up information and links, Don't wait to sign up! We need all hands (Or Snakes) on deck for this one to make it a great event!

This Viper event will be taking place at Buttonwillow Raceway on January 17-18, 2015.

We are in the final stages of making this event become a reality. Our deadline to secure all funding and finalize the contracts is November 30th. In order to do this, we need to reach our minimum target of 55 Vipers to sign up and pay as soon as possible. If we do not reach the minimum by November 30th, 2014, this event will be cancelled and your registration fee will be refunded in full. If we reach our goal and sign the contracts to secure the event, there will be NO REFUNDS made. This event will be rain or shine, hot or cold and guaranteed to ROCK !

Please take a moment to register/pay via PayPal BEFORE November 30th, 2014.

Click here to pay for: PayPal – Solo Driver/Car

Click here to pay for: PayPal - 2 Drivers in same car (Or guest)
(Includes dinner for second driver/guest)

Once you have paid please fill out the following Registration form:

For more information on the event, here is a link to the webpage: http://www.westcoastracinginc.com/VT/

We have a room block at the 4 Points Sheraton in Bakersfield. They have given us a special rate of $89.00/night
Please call and make your room reservations early before they sell out. Call them at (661)325-9700 and tell them you are with the Viper Group.

Here are some of the highlights for the event:

VIPER TRACKS 2015
ButtonWillow Raceway
January 17-18, 2015
A Viper exclusive driving event
Viper specific driver education
Skip Thomas will return to teach safety driving classes as well as advanced driving classes
Four different run groups: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Race
4 track sessions on each day
In car instructors for all beginner group drivers
Dinner banquet Saturday night

Viper Tracks 2015 is heavily sponsored by the following and without them we would not be able to have this event:

Dan Cragin - Specialty Performance Team 661-588-2882
Dan will be performing required Tech inspections for the Vipers and we recommend that you have him do it prior to attending Viper Tracks 2015. This way any issues can be properly corrected before the event. Dan is renowned as one of the best in the Nation when it comes to Viper Techs and we are lucky to have him here on the West coast.

Mike Bell - Motor Village LA 877-849-0771
Mike and his team at Motor Village LA have committed their efforts to support the Viper owners and help promote the brand. If you are looking for a new Dodge/Chrysler product in the So Cal area, visit Motor Village and see what they can do for you.

Paul Normandin - Normandin Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram 877-330-0391
Paul and his team have been long time supporters of the Vipers up in the Bay area. It is great to have them recognize the significance of this event and help sponsor the event. If you are looking for a new vehicle, they will likely have exactly what you are looking for.

Todd Gomez - Bad Boyzz Garage 916-505-9026
Toddy has a long history with the Vipers and has developed a great line of performance upgrades which are proven for the track. If you are looking to increase HP or performance, definitely call Toddy and see what he can do for you.

Thanks for being a part in this effort to put on Viper Tracks 2015 !!

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years ago Dan put together an event like this at Willow Springs and it was a blast. Lots of track time, great organization, and well laid out so that owners that had never taken their Vipers out onto a track had lots of instruction and got to feel how their snake feels on the venue it was designed for.

They also had special time for the fast guys that were no strangers to the track.

Everyone had great fun, and the entire ViperNation had a chance to "take it to the track"

For those that do not know about Skip Thomas. He was the one that started up and ran one of the best track series ever available to Viper Owners. His "ViperDays" events set the standard for getting a broad spectrum of owners out on the track, and bringing them up to speed in a controlled and logical manner.

His banquets were just as fun as the track time. I remember him saying he would give the shirt off his back to support the series. When he was called out on it, he took his actual shirt off up on the stage, and it was auctioned off right on the spot. Great fun, and epic events.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other thing to point out for novices is that Buttonwillow is one of the most "open" tracks in the US. Only a couple of places one could get in trouble and only if you are really pushing hard. I would feel pretty darned safe there. Plus, the track is newly repaved. This would be the best event for someone who wants to experience what their Viper was built for, in a safe, legal manner. Essentially, a Viper Days event of yesteryear, which hooked me on HPDE. Better than Disneyland or 6 Flags for a Viper owner and well worth the trip !!!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only am I a Viper owner (00GTS) but I also run an open-track/race club in California, including at BW.
The cost of running a weekend event at BW is about $20K, inclusive of everything, meaning track, ambulance, tow, insurance, corner workers, etc.
If my maths are correct, 55 driver X $395 = $21,725.
So basically, whoever is putting the event want to have guaranteed profit and no financial risk whatsoever.
Little strange way to do business since usually reward/profit is associated with risk taking.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is in no way a for profit event, besides the track rental, we have West Coast running the event, lunch and Banquet at the hotel, driving instructors, tech crew and numerous other items to be paid for. Its going to take full attendance and sponsorship money from us and others for West Coast to fund this event.

Happy to share the finances, just ask! This is all about a fun event for Viper owners, not making money!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you proposed it, would be great if you would share the finances. With my long experience in this business I could maybe show you some ways to be more cost efficient or save money.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not only am I a Viper owner (00GTS) but I also run an open-track/race club in California, including at BW.
The cost of running a weekend event at BW is about $20K, inclusive of everything, meaning track, ambulance, tow, insurance, corner workers, etc.
So basically, whoever is putting the event want to have guaranteed profit and no financial risk whatsoever.
Little strange way to do business since usually reward/profit is associated with risk taking.
An event like this takes a lot more to put together than most people understand. It's easy to throw stones instead of supporting the event. The four sponsors that have stepped up to make this event happen have been generous and helpful. It will still require full attendance to make it happen. Don't forget what Dan mentioned, Lunch, banquet dinner, instructors crew etc. All cost money above and beyond your 21k estimate. This event will be fully funded by the sponsors and drivers, it's not designed to make money for anyone.
All Viper owners are invited so maybe you should just come out and see for your self!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waiting to see the disclosed finances as offered by Dan but in the meantime here are some real numbers, not estimates, for a weekend at Buttonwillow in January
Full track: $5,000 X 2 = $10,000
5 millions liability and participants insurance : $1,850
Cordless mike $50 X 2 = $100
PA system $100 x 2 = $200
Communication system $400
Gate attendant ( both nights) $476
ALS Ambulance. $150/hour $2,500
Tow ( track service) $500
Corner workers $3,000
Total = $ 19,026

Let assume that the food is $50 per person and that add an extra $2,750 for 55 persons and give us a grand total of $21,776

In this business, except if they are professional drivers, instructors NEVER get paid. They get free track time ( and sometimes lunch) for their services
Cost of tech in a non issue, beside the fact that the "organizers" ( I sill don't know who they are), strongly suggest that tech be done before the event, it only take a few minutes to tech a car at the track

The only real cost questions is how much do West Coast get paid to run the event and is there a cost for Skip Thomas to be at the event.

Also, saying that it is not an "for-profit' event is a little disingenuous, no only some peoples are going to make money out of it but, if there is a profit, are participants going to get a refund check to make it a true non-profit event?

Don't take my post the wrong way, i think it's great to put together an event for Vipers and there is nothing wrong in making money out of it but let's be honest about it

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take my post the wrong way, i think it's great to put together an event for Vipers and there is nothing wrong in making money out of it but let's be honest about it
IMHO, I, for one, am not taking your posts the wrong way. I take them as sour grapes, party pooper, self serving, overly-suspicious, holier than thou, and perhaps trying to squelch a competing activity before it becomes a regularly scheduled event.

I have heard folks involved in making this event happen talk about it in private, and it is talked about as a fun event for Viper owners. Yeah, some sponsors will probably benefit by having Viper owners have fun with their car. That's why they sponsor. I hate the thought that everyone must speak in "Politically Correct" legal exacting terms in order to put on an event for a specifically oriented audience.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even by your own math, any potential profit is miniscule...at best. The only motivation that I can think of for your post would be to display your knowledge of organizing an event like this, or to throw a wrench in it.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to have touched a raw nerve here....

AZTVR:
There must be at least 500 events going on every year at California 7 road racing tracks. Do you really think that 1 or even a few more will make any difference? Did I try to advertise the name of my business? Nope. So that has nothing to do with potential competitor.
I'm not the one that said that it was in "no way a for profit event". Don't hold me responsible for someone else choice of words to describe the event that THEY are putting together.

Free2go:
The numbers of 55 drivers and $21,725 has nothing to do with a potential profit but rather is the minimum numbers of drivers and/or income "they" need to have before committing to run the event.
Potential profit is much, much higher.

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Free2go:
The numbers of 55 drivers and $21,725 has nothing to do with a potential profit but rather is the minimum numbers of drivers and/or income "they" need to have before committing to run the event.
Potential profit is much, much higher.

Could you please enlighten me on "potential profit"?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you please enlighten me on "potential profit"?

Sure can:

let assume that the break even point is reached at 55 drivers. Make sense since it what they say they need to run the event.
Between the entry fee from those 55 drivers ( $21,725) and the "sponsorship money" referenced by Dan in it's post, all costs, the ones I listed + West coast and maybe Skip Thomas fee, etc, are paid for.
Therefore each single entry above those 55 become net profit.
Let's say that the event has a potential of bringing in 100 drivers and that each entry fee average $500 ( $395 before December 1 and $595 after).
In this scenario the profit would be 45 entries X $500 = $22,500. deduct from that $50 per entry for food/banquet and net is $20,000
You can do the maths yourself and adjust the profit up or down depending on the number of drivers/entries

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Folks, This is all good discussion, but what’s important here is the event. It’s about passion for Vipers and the people that own them. The years I was involved in the Viper Days series were some of the most exciting times in my Viper experience. I was able to meet fellow owners, learn how to drive my Viper and get a taste of what a car with lots of torque and tire could do in a controlled environment, on the track. This obviously is not Viper Days, but I hope it will have the same feel.

What makes this event special is that it is going to be a 2 day affair, not only is there going to be lots of track time, its going to give us a chance to get to know other owners from up North and down South. All generations Vipers will be there, plus Comp Coupes, ACRX's and maybe a GTSR or GT3R car. The Banquet at the Hotel will give us time to build relationships and have some fun. Obviously, we can’t do all this without you, so sign up. If we make the required attendance we are a go, if not you get a refund.

Luc I PM’d you, I let you know who was running the event, so if he can be of any help saving costs with anything, feel free to call West Coast, I asked your advice about what I was considering paying the driving instructors, but you did not respond.

We contacted West Coast to run this event, all the fees and sponsorship will go to them. I think it would be silly on my part to be giving sponsor money if it was just going into somebody’s pocket. West Coast is a business, so we obviously need to pay them to organize the event. Just to be clear, our last event was fully funded by my company, 55 cars attended at no cost, it’s not all about the money. Luc please come to our event, if you really want to help, you could give us advice moving forward. Many of the Arizona group will attend so you could come down with them.

If anyone has any questions, ideas or concerns, feel free to PM me or post up on this board. Thanks!

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure can:

let assume that the break even point is reached at 55 drivers. Make sense since it what they say they need to run the event.
Between the entry fee from those 55 drivers ( $21,725) and the "sponsorship money" referenced by Dan in it's post, all costs, the ones I listed + West coast and maybe Skip Thomas fee, etc, are paid for.
Therefore each single entry above those 55 become net profit.
Let's say that the event has a potential of bringing in 100 drivers and that each entry fee average $500 ( $395 before December 1 and $595 after).
In this scenario the profit would be 45 entries X $500 = $22,500. deduct from that $50 per entry for food/banquet and net is $20,000
You can do the maths yourself and adjust the profit up or down depending on the number of drivers/entries

Ok. I didn't realize it was entirely dependent on attendance and did not rely in any way on up selling additional products or services to attendees. In your experience...as far as attendance numbers go...what would be the magic number to make attendees super excited and make an excellent profit?

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if convertibles are allowed? I was told that Buttonwillow won't allow the Gen 3/4 with only factory hoops, they would need real roll hoops. Is that accurate?

thanks,
~Jay

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A hard top or rollbar is required. I am currently trying to get some hardtops to use at the track. If you do track your car Jay, you might consider a rollbar.

OP
OP

2thdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About half way there! Here's the list so far.
Beginners are encouraged to attend. There will be a novice run group for you to go what ever pace you feel comfortable with and instructors available.
Driving your Viper on an open track (not worrying about cops or cross traffic) is such an awesome experience!

1 John B.
2 Robert B.
3 Gary C.
4 Stevan D.
5 Rich E.
6 Peter H.
7 Scott H.
8 Brad H.
9 Ben K.
10 Lance K.
11 Al O.
12 Greg S.
13 Todd S.
14 John W.
15 Larry W.
16 Jay M
17 Brent K
18 Glenn I.
19 Randy B.
20 Lee W.
21 Rick H
22 Jeff A
23 John B
24 Tom L
25 Jay S

Last edited:

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is shaping up to be a great Viper event. It would be great to see some more first time track guys come out and have professional instruction with Skip and the instructors.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have asked Eric Messley, Ross Murray and Gene Sigal, all established Viper car control experts. I think we will have some our "Sidewinder" track guys and West Coast Racing instructors as well.

OP
OP

2thdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1 John B.
2 Robert B.
3 Gary C.
4 Stevan D.
5 Rich E.
6 Peter H.
7 Scott H.
8 Brad H.
9 Ben K.
10 Lance K.
11 Al O.
12 Greg S.
13 Todd S.
14 John W.
15 Larry W.
16 Jay M
17 Brent K
18 Glenn I.
19 Randy B.
20 Lee W.
21 Rick H
22 Jeff A
23 John B
24 Tom L
25 Jay S
26 Patrick M
27 Keith A
28 Mike C
29 Andy H
30 Jose A
31 Anthony M
32 Austin M
33 Glen M

Last edited:
OP
OP

2thdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1 John B.
2 Robert B.
3 Gary C.
4 Stevan D.
5 Rich E.
6 Peter H.
7 Scott H.
8 Brad H.
9 Ben K.
10 Lance K.
11 Al O.
12 Greg S.
13 Todd S.
14 John W.
15 Larry W.
16 Jay M
17 Brent K
18 Glenn I.
19 Randy B.
20 Lee W.
21 Rick H
22 Jeff A
23 John B
24 Tom L
25 Jay S
26 Patrick M
27 Keith A
28 Mike C
29 Andy H
30 Jose A
31 Anthony M
32 Austin M
33 Glen M
34 Richard S
35 Eddie R
36 Bruce C
37 Ante B

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper Tracks - High Performance Driving Event Tech Inspection

Specialty Performance Team is offering a free pre-event Tech Inspection to all entrants of the Viper Track - HPDE event January 17-18 at Buttonwillow Raceway.

Every car will receive a 60 point vehicle inspection with report and signed Tech Sheet (upon approval).

I highly recommend everyone have their car inspected before the event. Track Day inspections will be $15 and those who do not pass, may lose a chance to get on the track.

Attached is a link to the West Coast Racing Tech Sheet

http://www.westcoastracinginc.com/Tech.pdf

Everyone will need a Fire Extinguisher / fastened in the cockpit. These are available through VOA vendors and SPT. Some will be available at the track.

Helmets must be worn and have a 2000 Snell rating or better

Lap Belts must be working properly/ 4-5 and 6 point belts are recommended but not required.

Tires must be in good condition/ no cracks / under 8 years old (6 is best) and no tire plugs. A good street sport alignment will assure good handling and tire wear. Check your tire pressures and torque the wheel lug nuts.

You want to make sure your fluid services are current, on Gen 2-3 cars without modified oil pans, it's critical that you keep the oil level just above the full mark. Consider an oil pan upgrade if you do not have one and never run slicks if you do not. Brake and clutch fluid should be clear, not brown. It can boil and you will lose your brakes or clutch. Two year change intervals are suggested.

Brake pads should be at 40% or better, rotors should not have light surface cracks that go to the edge. Brake lines should be properly routed and have no cuts in the rubber. Stainless Steel brake lines are recommended for better pedal feel and safety.

Check for leaks, belts and hoses should be in good condition.

Make sure there are no loose items in the car or under the seats.

Convertibles will need either a hard top or roll bar. SPT will have a limited number of hard tops (Gen 1-2-3) and plug in roll hoops (Gen 3-4), I currently have a commitment for 3 Gen 1-2 Hard Tops, 1 Gen 3-4 hard top and 4 approved plug in roll hoops for Gen 3-4. I will have an exact count shortly (Please consider purchasing either of these options if you plan to track your car regularly. Think of it as insurance, it's not a problem until you need it!

We are looking forward to a fun and organized event. Feel free to call with any questions.

Dan Cragin

Specialty Performance Team

626-588-2882

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We are almost there. We just need a few more sign ups to get to our minimum cars. Help make this event a reality and success and sign up now.:2tu:

OP
OP

2thdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the word that the event is a GO! Thank you to everyone who registered!
Today is the last day to sign up for $395, after today it will be $595.

1 John B.
2 Robert B.
3 Gary C.
4 Stevan D.
5 Rich E.
6 Peter H.
7 Scott H.
8 Brad H.
9 Ben K.
10 Lance K.
11 Al O.
12 Greg S.
13 Todd S.
14 John W.
15 Larry W.
16 Jay M
17 Brent K
18 Glenn I.
19 Randy B.
20 Lee W.
21 Rick H
22 Jeff A
23 John B
24 Tom L
25 Jay S
26 Patrick M
27 Keith A
28 Mike C
29 Andy H
30 Jose A
31 Anthony M
32 Austin M
33 Glen M
34 Richard S
35 Eddie R
36 Bruce C
37 Ante B
38 Loyde I
39 Tony M
40 Roxana M
41 Alan W
42 Mike F
43 Justin F
44 Akemi F
45 Randy T
46 Gentulio B
47 Gavin G
48 Chuck G
49 Gerald W
50 James M
51 Ken A
52 Raj C
53Laurence G
54 Eddie M
55 Jonathan M

The run group numbers from the registrations are surprisingly very even! Should have plenty of room on track!

Red 12
Blue 14
Yellow 15
Green 14

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even by your own math, any potential profit is miniscule...at best. The only motivation that I can think of for your post would be to display your knowledge of organizing an event like this, or to throw a wrench in it.

You sir are an idiot for making a comment like that! Have you ever met luc? On top of running his own race club he is a gentleman of the first order. I know him personally, hell I've even stayed in his home a few nights all I can say is you don't know what the hell you're talking about!!!!!!