Is anyone running BC Coil Overs?

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I cant afford Motons or KWs, at least not new. I was wondering if anyone has tried the BC Coilovers found on ebay.
I went the Steve and Vipair route a couple years ago and that was an exercise of failure from a parts and customer service stand point.
Just wondering if these coil overs deliver what they promise or should I keep walking?

I did a search, all I could find was BC Coil overs and how it related to Will at RSI.

Thanks
2002 GTS

Reaction score
MCS now makes a single adjustable for $3350 and will give your Viper everything you need to fully enjoy it. There is NOTHING that will give you a better ride in the Viper all while increasing mechanical grip and ability to set ride height/corner balance. Yes the initial cost is higher, but the Viper is a high performance car that deserves a better shock then the BC, which is about the cost of 1 standard Viper shock spring assembly, you get what you pay for and handling on a Viper is a pretty high priority thing. Not to mention if customer support is important, ours and theirs is also top notch imho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MCS now makes a single adjustable for $3350 and will give your Viper everything you need to fully enjoy it. There is NOTHING that will give you a better ride in the Viper all while increasing mechanical grip and ability to set ride height/corner balance. Yes the initial cost is higher, but the Viper is a high performance car that deserves a better shock then the BC, which is about the cost of 1 standard Viper shock spring assembly, you get what you pay for and handling on a Viper is a pretty high priority thing. Not to mention if customer support is important, ours and theirs is also top notch imho.

Im sure a great option but at 3350 its still pricey for me. I will def keep it in mind though thanks.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bc are great, The ride is just as good and half the price. I like trying different set ups on my car Penske, motons, h&r coil overs ,for the price the bc can't be beat.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They ride decent and are fairly adjustable. Well worth the money.

FYI wait until cyber Monday or Black Friday. I picked up a set from amazon last year for $1000 shipped. An awesome company down in FL hooked me up.

-Tim

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. There is a reason these are priced they way they are. Just understand that when you make the purchase. Don't expect these shocks to perform like a MCS, KW or a Penske product. Its like comparing a Rolex and a Timex.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running the BC's for over a year, and helped them get the specs right for rear shock lower mount. For the money, they are awesome shocks. They are waaaay lighter (less unsprung weight to deal with), quite adjustable, and so far after 3k reliable--no squeaks, or leaks. Ride quality is very good, and ride height is easily dialed in. The coils do settle after a couple of months, so I had to raise it back up, but I haven't touched it since. For Viper suspension that doesn't break the bank, they are hard to beat.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand but you will be dealing with them, correct?

Not unless they are one of the hundred ebay stores listing them on ebay.
I know by now that sending RSI money is like using 100 dollar bills to light my cigar.
And I wont even get my cigar lit.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. There is a reason these are priced they way they are. Just understand that when you make the purchase. Don't expect these shocks to perform like a MCS, KW or a Penske product. Its like comparing a Rolex and a Timex.

Careful there, Dan!! As Im not sure the Rolex actually tells time any better. At least here on earth when youre not scuba diving 60m below the surface.
Now as a piece of jewelry.......:)

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I understand what youre saying. Im just sick of the soft stock set up. Adjusting the stock shocks helped minimally, I tried Vipair's garbage, and now I have eibachs on. All of them way too soft for any serious driving.
Im in no hurry, Ill see where Im at over the winter or next spring.
I think the biggest problem is with spring rates more than the shocks themselves. IDK.
Thanks all!

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Careful there, Dan!! As Im not sure the Rolex actually tells time any better. At least here on earth when youre not scuba diving 60m below the surface.
Now as a piece of jewelry.......:)

Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking................................... :D

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its firm rebound you want, its there in spades. i actually softened them some for better off the line weight transfer. Compared to OEM, night and day.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They come with two wrenches: one for height and the other for spring preload. Dampening adjustment is located at the top of each shock. Corner balancing should be easy.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To piggyback on this thread, how are you guys liking the ride quality? No tracks here, only street.

I'm currently running Eibachs on the stock Koni's (set 4/5 and 3/5 firmness) and the ride is pretty rough. I unfortunately don't remember the ride with the stock springs. But every bump feels like a very stiff crash, while at the same time you get the pogo stick rebound because of the stiff bump.

I kinda wish it was a softer stroke with a controlled initial rebound? I guess we can't have the long stroke of an SUV...

I think I may need to find a local Gen 2 owner to ask for a ride and try to remember what stock was like.

Reaction score
To piggyback on this thread, how are you guys liking the ride quality? No tracks here, only street.

I'm currently running Eibachs on the stock Koni's (set 4/5 and 3/5 firmness) and the ride is pretty rough. I unfortunately don't remember the ride with the stock springs. But every bump feels like a very stiff crash, while at the same time you get the pogo stick rebound because of the stiff bump.

I kinda wish it was a softer stroke with a controlled initial rebound? I guess we can't have the long stroke of an SUV...

I think I may need to find a local Gen 2 owner to ask for a ride and try to remember what stock was like.
The overly stiff ride is caused by an inferior shock not spring rates, I can use 500/800 pound springs front and rear and make the ride 100% better than stock or the BC. Like Dan C. said above you get what you pay for and correct valving and efficiency is what gives you the best of both worlds... MCS singles will give you that and last as long as you have the car.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest problem with shocks for Vipers is the very limited amount of travel available for the rear shocks. The geometry of the rear makes the shock do a tremendous amount of work with only a few inches of travel. Common designed shocks are not up to the task, and are not able to control the rear wheel travel. You feel a pogo stick up and down, skittering over bumpy surfaces, harsh rides or little control.

For some the only issue is finding a shock that will lower the car for looks, at the lowest cost possible, but the compromise is often a poorly working rear suspension.

There always seems to be someone coming along like Aldans, BC, or KW that appeals to these people, but they never give that well controlled feeling that you get from a truly superior designed and constructed premium shock.

Currently the Penskey, Moton, MCS and perhaps the new Ohlins can match up to the potential for making a Viper handle under difficult circumstances. They provide much better control that provides lowering ability, a super smooth and controlled ride and high performance functionality that measures up to the promise that Viper owners desire.

I currently feel that for most non track focused Viper Owners, the single adjustable, non canister MCS offers the most bang for the buck. Cost a little over $3k, install easily, are easy to adjust, gives that magic carpet ride, and work well for occasional track use.

Vipes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running BC's for a while now and I have no complaints. It took a little work to get them dialed in but now the ride is great, much better than eibachs. I've never run Mortons or KW's so I can't give you a comparison. I recommend buying these direct from BC, call and ask for Tim.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running BC's for a while now and I have no complaints. It took a little work to get them dialed in but now the ride is great, much better than eibachs. I've never run Mortons or KW's so I can't give you a comparison. I recommend buying these direct from BC, call and ask for Tim.
What he said...In addition, after combining a proper alignment (a post installation imperative) and dialing in a ride height that splits the difference between good looks and cornering feel, my car inspires confidence that has removed much of the drama that the stockers produced. They have met and exceeded my expectations given the lower cost. If you have a big chunk of cash for your suspension upgrades, then go for the Motons, Penski, or MCS's. Peace.