Speaker Upgrade kit Installed on my TA

V1PERMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaker upgrade kit installed on my TA

I ordered the Mopar speaker upgrade kit online for about $500 which consisted of 6 additional speakers. One "center dash speaker" two "upper door speakers" and three additional "subwoofers" for behind the seats. The TA comes with a 12 speaker system and this kit supposedly adds the missing 6 speakers.

Well, as it turns out that is not the case........

First, I went to install the included "Center Dash Speaker and Grill". Well, to my surprise, it is already installed in the car and working from the factory.

Next, i installed the "Upper Door Speakers and Grills". I knew that I needed these as the TA comes with block-off filler plates where these speakers get installed. I followed the included instructions and they installed perfectly. To my surprise, they worked immediately without any additional programming which the instructions said you need to have done at the dealer.

Now, on to the sub's behind the seats. I removed the carpet behind the drivers seat and found one sub installed from the factory. I removed the other block-off plate and installed the missing drivers side sub. Next, I removed the carpet behind the passenger side seat and to my surprise there was one sub installed from the factory. So I installed the one missing sub and closed things up. Turned on the radio and the 2 additional subs that I installed DID NOT WORK. I guess that I need the dealer to do the software mod to get these going.

So in conclusion, of the additional 6 speakers I purchased in the $500 kit, I only needed to use 4 of the speakers. But what really amazes me is that the viper is marketed as a "12" or "18" speaker system.

That is NOT the case.

The "18" speaker system actually only uses "13" physical speakers and the "12" speaker system actually uses "9" physical speakers.

The reason being is that the "center dash speaker", the 2 "upper door speakers" and the 2 "rear hatch speakers" and called "Unity Speakers" and are thus 2-way drivers and each single physical speaker actually counts as 2 speakers.

Check out the diagram below I was able to find on the Harman Kardon website.

You must be registered for see images attach

While I'm glad that I now have all the speakers that the Viper was designed to have, I feel a little misled of SRT's marketing of their audio systems.

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well…..tnx for your post…. as much as i like the loud ext, etc. , i also like high fidelity music and am not at all happy with the sound level/SPL of the stock system…
at full vol, it's passable…. i'd rather have a nice two way infinity kappa or JL in the doors and one or two sealed 8 or 10" sub driving by two separate r.fosgate or JL Audio amps….
keeping the factory head unit of course….
i've not heard of any oem system that sounded better than aftermarket…. closest was lexus nakamichi system on the SC430 but again, the sub/bass was lacking….

jR
'14 TA , #66

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not my wife's upgraded factory unit in her QX60 SUV by Infinity is pretty kick ass. Blows away my 14"s GTS upgraded system. I am not going to fool with it as I always had convertable Vipers. So the minute they announce a vert bye bye GTS hardtop.......

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, my wife has qx80 and the audio on that is better than viper…. i'm not in a hurry to do anything on my TA since i'm enjoying the corsa exhaust at WOT going under overpass or down shifting next to another car and hearing the sound come back…. beats any sound system for sure…

does anyone have the specs on oem speakers ?

where are they all ? size of the speakers…. are there separate tweeters ?
where are the 2 or 4 supposed SUBs ?
where and how are the oem amps configured ?

I eventually want to have a nice set of high end 2 way component speakers in the front door and maybe a filler speakers in the back or behind the seats and one descent 8" sealed enclosure sub…

jR
'14 TA #66

Last edited:

thegeneral78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 of 4 rear speakers didn't take in the first flash. Going to bring mine back in Tuesday. Might wanna check to make sure they are actually playing, it's hard to tell unless you put your hand on the speaker. Only the 1 original 6x9 was still playing.

s_c5519

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the post V1PERMAN. I am am now excited to add a few speakers when it warms up here in the Northeast. For only 6 (or 4 actual) speakers missing, I did notice a huge difference in sound quality, loudness, and especially bass from my '13 GTS (18 speaker) to my '14 T/A (12 speaker)...

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything new one this post? thinking about adding this kit to my 2013 GTS 12 speaker setup. Does anyone know if the amp on the factory install for the 12 & 18 speaker system is the same? On the harman Kardon site it talks about a 900 watt amp.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything new one this post? thinking about adding this kit to my 2013 GTS 12 speaker setup. Does anyone know if the amp on the factory install for the 12 & 18 speaker system is the same? On the harman Kardon site it talks about a 900 watt amp.

Amp is the same on all, and all the wiring is already in the car, you just need the dealer to update the stereo for the rear speakers to work, the door speakers will work as soon as they're plugged in.....

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I counted my speakers yesterday. 9 total firing speakers. I have a GTS with basic system. Missing 2 upper door speakers. Otherwise I don't know where the additional 3 subs would mount....

The door speakers are definitely blown. I think I am going to add a 8" or 10" sub in the hatch to bring up the mids and bass.