leaking struts in TA models

lateapex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Golf R with a Bilstein coil-over set up. 35,000 street miles so far and 10+ track days. My last 3 Porsches..all coil over (Ohlins), over 20k road miles and 30+ track days each. Never a drop of oil. The last issue that I can recall is when my Audi blew a strut after I hit a pothole about 20 years ago….I just had it rebuilt. I have no idea on Koni….I never had them. No BS…a shock is the last thing that i would expect to leak.

lateapex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well., i'm in so.cal…found a dealer, moss dodge , in riverside,that supposedly has a viper tech…whatever that means…..
the shock is leaking oil WAY beyond just being wet at the top… another soaked newspaper ….

NONE of my other cars leak oil from shock so….i'm gonna bring it in and get a new shock….. hopefully get the airbag seat position sensors done too, if i'm not the first viper at this dealer….

didn't quite understand above re: race car shocks on street use….i thought that 'race car' shocks should be more robust and should withstand normal smooth street driving better than 'non-race shock'…. guess it must be opposite for some reason ?!??

jR
'TA #66

The biggest differences are piston size, adjustability (jounce/rebound, speed, etc.) and the spring rates. Long rides on the street can be rough on the bladder….even when on full soft. :) My wife makes me keep one car stock at all times.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didn't quite understand above re: race car shocks on street use….i thought that 'race car' shocks should be more robust and should withstand normal smooth street driving better than 'non-race shock'…. guess it must be opposite for some reason ?!??

When discussing the '01-'02 ACR Dynamics Suspensions shocks, an engineer involved with the manufacturing company explained why their race shock was more susceptible to leaking due to design compromises for performance rather than seal longevity. Those shocks were never designed for consumer use according to him.

I have not read elsewhere that the TA dampers are "race shocks."

Someone else asked, and I would also like to know who is the manufacturer of the TA shocks. I have read an article that says that they are Bilstein and they are the same product as what are on the GTS models but with different tuning. That would make one think that this would not just be a TA issue, unless it is a manufacturing lot related problem, or maybe related to the different "tuning" due to slightly different internal components.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Golf R with a Bilstein coil-over set up. 35,000 street miles so far and 10+ track days. My last 3 Porsches..all coil over (Ohlins), over 20k road miles and 30+ track days each. Never a drop of oil. The last issue that I can recall is when my Audi blew a strut after I hit a pothole about 20 years ago….I just had it rebuilt. I have no idea on Koni….I never had them. No BS…a shock is the last thing that i would expect to leak.

Maybe the Ohlins or the Penske shocks are the ticket, I've never had experience with these shocks. I can tell you that even back when I had dirt bikes (mostly Kawasaki) I'd have to send the front shocks in because i'd blow the seals out. I do understand that an off-road environment is much more demanding. Maybe it's just bad luck on my part, but I know it's very common on Gen 2 ACR's.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard anecdotally that some members have been known to leak a bit while watching struts. ( Sorry. I could not resist.)

Reaction score
I was a Moton guy for years then after the sell out (company bought out all the original people left) been working with all the same people that started MCS. I have not had leak issues other than 2 o-ring issues on remote canister shocks in 11+ years of doing this. If you want a shock that will give you the very best of both worlds look no further than the MCS. We have swapped shock off ACR's, ACRX's and many new GenV cars including TA's.

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, moss dodge tells me that the shock is on 'national back order'....been two weeks since I went there and they say there is no shipping/replenishment date... that *****...
got a new viper with no oil in the front driver side shock... :(
the first few people with leak got it fixed and depleted the supply ?

maybe I will just go with some better stuff later but I do want to have the 2 modes as oem so...j

80 deg in so. calif.... and I can't drive the viper... or can I ? is it ok to do so with bad shock ?

'14 TA #66

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, moss dodge tells me that the shock is on 'national back order'....been two weeks since I went there and they say there is no shipping/replenishment date... that *****...

maybe I will just go with some better stuff later but I do want to have the 2 modes as oem so...j

80 deg in so. calif.... and I can't drive the viper... or can I ? is it ok to do so with bad shock ?

'14 TA #66

That's a shame. Hopefully they can get item back in stock.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score

'14 TA #66

I would bet there is still some oil in that shock, I would just drive it real easy till the shock comes in:usa:

Reaction score
You were going to send me your VIN so I could help with this and I did not ever get it. If you want help possibly with the shock email me.

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry mark, been busy… just sent email of vin #…. it looks like i may not be the only one waiting for a new shock….

james R
'14 TA #66

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well…. riverside moss dodge got the part finally…. i called SRT and mark did something too , i think…. i'm going in tmrw/sat. 14th, and see if they can replace it and align the car correctly…

will report back…

Reaction score
well…. riverside moss dodge got the part finally…. i called SRT and mark did something too , i think…. i'm going in tmrw/sat. 14th, and see if they can replace it and align the car correctly…

will report back…
Happy things finally got finished for you, as always I'm happy to help if I can.

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well…. let me vent here….

i was told the part is fed EXed to the dealer….i assume… where else would they send it to ?!??

i make an appointment and bring my TA to moss riverside, CA dealer and they say they can't find the part….
they don't know where it is..which of their 3 dealers got it…. there is no record of it being received… yet their system shows that the original shock they ordered 6 wks ago is cancelled….
they want to know the tracking # from me…..

I'm thinking… ok, some idiot at the part dept. got the part and probably cancelled their original order for the part…. yet the weekend people don't know where the part is…
they keep asking me for the tracking #, which I don't have… i think the SRT guy i called to get the part sent may have told me the # but i didn't write it down….. why the **** should I ? it'sgonna get there over night and that's fine with me…

..It's just frustrating to deal with all this crap….i got better things to do on weekends than chasing down a part …

so, now i'm gonna drive back and pick up the same car, with no work done… and who knows when it will get fixed now….

what a BS…. my first dodge product EVER and so far, not too impressed….

i know it's not unique to them but…. i'm just pissed that i wasted a saturday….

DODGE/SRT people… read this and do something about it. . .

jim R
'14 TA #66

OP
OP
J

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, got the new shock placed finally on driver's front…. car seems a bit less bouncy maybe…
i called again before i went and they again couldn't 'find the shock' so after having the Srce advisor getting on parts people, i told em to take a pic. and send it to my cell, before i'd drive there to riverside moss dodge…
anyway, i hope i'm done with this now…. hopefully it was installed correctly as far as the hydraulic lines , etc….
the viper tach said i didn't need to realign it…as since it's a full shock/spring unit, he just pops the new one into place w/o loosening up any other suspension components…. ?

it is going straight, or same as before I took it in so…. who knows…

jR
'14 TA, 1250 miles, corsa ext, DEI heat wrap, MGW shifter knob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456