What did you drive before a Viper?

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says, Im curious to see what everyone drive before they decided to get a viper. Personally i have always wanted a gen 1 or 2 viper since the day I laid eyes on one, but couldnt afford one until the past few years when the prices came down.. Its not the fastest car I have owned but for sure the most exotic looking and fun to be seen in...

My last 3 cars were

2003 Nissan 350Z- Twin turbo 750 whp with a TH400 transmission adaption for drag racing..( 10.0@138) first new car I ever purchased
Pro street 65 Mercury Comet- 5.0 SVO fuel injected cruiser motor 350hp
67 SS Camaro- Set up for road racing 383 stroker with dry sump oil system and 4 speed Jerico Transmission 650hp est. 2500 lbs...SCARED THE LIVING CHIT OUT OF ME!!!

And now, 2002 RT10 Viper bone stock....432whp on the dyno with only K&N filters.

You must be registered for see images attach

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see...

Corvette #1 - not exciting enough.
Corvette #2 - not exciting enough.
Corvette #3 - Enjoyed it but it put me to sleep...and in turn, I put it in the weeds...on its roof :)
Corvette #4 - VERY easy to drive fast and boy did I eat tires. I was rotating every 1,000 and didn't get more than 6 months on a set. Those were the days. Younger, stupider... Still wasn't quite what I was looking for.
Viper #1 - Yep, that's the ticket. I figured it out. I needed a car that I could SCARE myself in. Have had it for 15 years now!

I've almost always had a daily driver and/or sport bike but through it all, the Viper has remained while others have come and gone.

As the title says, Im curious to see what everyone drive before they decided to get a viper. Personally i have always wanted a gen 1 or 2 viper since the day I laid eyes on one, but couldnt afford one until the past few years when the prices came down.. Its not the fastest car I have owned but for sure the most exotic looking and fun to be seen in...

My last 3 cars were

2003 Nissan 350Z- Twin turbo 750 whp with a TH400 transmission adaption for drag racing..( 10.0@138) first new car I ever purchased
Pro street 65 Mercury Comet- 5.0 SVO fuel injected cruiser motor 350hp
67 SS Camaro- Set up for road racing 383 stroker with dry sump oil system and 4 speed Jerico Transmission 650hp est. 2500 lbs...SCARED THE LIVING CHIT OUT OF ME!!!

And now, 2002 RT10 Viper bone stock....432whp on the dyno with only K&N filters.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Started with a 71 Corvette, stock 350 with an auto. Nice town cruiser and still one of my favorite looking cars, but not exactly the most exciting (unless you count the "entertaining" steering I'm still trying to fix).

Second was my 67 Dart. Started with a 318 and a 4 speed, now currently sporting a 5.7 Hemi with a Viper 6 speed. Was originally planning to go more of a pro street route street legal drag car, but the more I drove it the more I realized it was a really nice cruiser. The overdrive of the 6 speed makes it much nicer to cruise on the highway with. It's the permanent project car and I experiment and have fun with it. Currently running a Megasquirt 2 ECU in it and have tuned it myself. Working on an electronic speedometer conversion now to keep my old gauges, but to work off of the electronic speed sensor in the T56.

Since neither of those were really good daily drivers I bought a 2000 Jag XKR after I got my first job. Sweet looking car and super comfortable, but just lacked some excitement. The automatic killed it some for me and it never really felt fast unless you kicked it pretty hard. Sold it to my brother's girlfriend, so it's still in the family. The Viper officially replaced it.

Got the Viper a little over 2 years ago now. Looked all over the country and narrowed it down to two or three that were in my price range. Settled on the one I got due to a few aftermarket upgrades that I liked, although the stereo ended up being a bust. Had 43k miles on the clock and now sits at 78,500 after my time with it. Have since put on a set of 6 point harnesses, MCS singles, ACR rotors, and replaced pretty much the whole aftermarket stereo system that was in it with stuff that fits in the stock locations but actually sounds pretty good. Just put headers on over Christmas as well. Somewhat ironically it's the daily driver and the Dart and Vette only make it out on the nicer days. Neither of those are very good in the rain.

Have also had a motorcycle through most of it as well. Started with an 87 Kawasaki 440 LTD to learn on and quickly replaced that with an 83 Honda Magna. Liked it but wanted something a little more modern style. Ended up selling the old Magna to get a new 96 model.

OP
OP
D

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started with a 71 Corvette, stock 350 with an auto. Nice town cruiser and still one of my favorite looking cars, but not exactly the most exciting (unless you count the "entertaining" steering I'm still trying to fix).

Second was my 67 Dart. Started with a 318 and a 4 speed, now currently sporting a 5.7 Hemi with a Viper 6 speed. Was originally planning to go more of a pro street route street legal drag car, but the more I drove it the more I realized it was a really nice cruiser. The overdrive of the 6 speed makes it much nicer to cruise on the highway with. It's the permanent project car and I experiment and have fun with it. Currently running a Megasquirt 2 ECU in it and have tuned it myself. Working on an electronic speedometer conversion now to keep my old gauges, but to work off of the electronic speed sensor in the T56.

Since neither of those were really good daily drivers I bought a 2000 Jag XKR after I got my first job. Sweet looking car and super comfortable, but just lacked some excitement. The automatic killed it some for me and it never really felt fast unless you kicked it pretty hard. Sold it to my brother's girlfriend, so it's still in the family. The Viper officially replaced it.

Got the Viper a little over 2 years ago now. Looked all over the country and narrowed it down to two or three that were in my price range. Settled on the one I got due to a few aftermarket upgrades that I liked, although the stereo ended up being a bust. Had 43k miles on the clock and now sits at 78,500 after my time with it. Have since put on a set of 6 point harnesses, MCS singles, ACR rotors, and replaced pretty much the whole aftermarket stereo system that was in it with stuff that fits in the stock locations but actually sounds pretty good. Just put headers on over Christmas as well. Somewhat ironically it's the daily driver and the Dart and Vette only make it out on the nicer days. Neither of those are very good in the rain.

Have also had a motorcycle through most of it as well. Started with an 87 Kawasaki 440 LTD to learn on and quickly replaced that with an 83 Honda Magna. Liked it but wanted something a little more modern style. Ended up selling the old Magna to get a new 96 model.

I had an 80 corvette, they have a steering box that is notorious for loosening up. look into that, not the rack.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the years I have had a lot of cars, but only a few worth mentioning, first real car 67 Chevelle SS 396, 67 Coronet 440 69 Chevelle SS built 427 all with 4 speed man. Not many people know about the 70 Buick GS 455 Stage 1, that car was fast, had some work done on the motor, it could lift the left front wheel on hard acceleration.Then a long span of crap, then a 87 Grand National, 95 Viper RT10, 96 Corvette Grand Sport LT4 , then some more junk, then the stuff I have now 99 Viper GTS 13 GT500 13 SRT Challenger. I have had a lot of fun with cars:usa:

OP
OP
D

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the years I have had a lot of cars, but only a few worth mentioning, first real car 67 Chevelle SS 396, 67 Coronet 440 69 Chevelle SS built 427 all with 4 speed man. Not many people know about the 70 Buick GS 455 Stage 1, that car was fast, had some work done on the motor, it could lift the left front wheel on hard acceleration.Then a long span of crap, then a 87 Grand National, 95 Viper RT10, 96 Corvette Grand Sport LT4 , then some more junk, then the stuff I have now 99 Viper GTS 13 GT500 13 SRT Challenger. I have had a lot of fun with cars:usa:

You have good taste in cars.Some of the old Buick cars were NASTY!!!! The grand nationals were ahead of their times and I wish American car makers would make another worthy Turbo 6 cylinder car..

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, if I had more money my taste would be even better:D From some of the things I have read, the new Ford GT will have a sick Turbo 6. I was very lucky to experience the Grand National in 87, with some minor stuff that car would blow away everything on the road at that time. To live through that was awesome times.:usa:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score

Very Nice!!!!!!!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I had an 80 corvette, they have a steering box that is notorious for loosening up. look into that, not the rack.

At this point I've rebuilt pretty much the entire power steering system. I think the problem lies in the control valve. I have messed with the backlash adjustment on the box some and checked the rag joint and such and it seems like things are pretty good from the wheel down to the pitman arm. I think the springs in the control valve are just worn out. The wheel has a small amount of "dead zone" in the middle where you have to turn a couple of degrees either direction before you get resistance, but the car will still turn in this light zone. I think the springs in the control valve are just too weak to resist some of the "noise" from road load and slop in an old system. The pump has been rebuilt and I've rebuilt the valve twice now. Honed out the bore really good this time, but the springs looked pretty corroded. Need to see if I can source some new ones one of these days, but the car sits in storage, so it's not easy to work on.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solution: Replace vehicle. :)

At this point I've rebuilt pretty much the entire power steering system. I think the problem lies in the control valve. I have messed with the backlash adjustment on the box some and checked the rag joint and such and it seems like things are pretty good from the wheel down to the pitman arm. I think the springs in the control valve are just worn out. The wheel has a small amount of "dead zone" in the middle where you have to turn a couple of degrees either direction before you get resistance, but the car will still turn in this light zone. I think the springs in the control valve are just too weak to resist some of the "noise" from road load and slop in an old system. The pump has been rebuilt and I've rebuilt the valve twice now. Honed out the bore really good this time, but the springs looked pretty corroded. Need to see if I can source some new ones one of these days, but the car sits in storage, so it's not easy to work on.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine was a logical progression as I was able to afford it: Mustangs, then Corvettes, now on my 6th Viper. No going back...

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last 3 all Vipers but tend to buy a new car every other year and have owned 30-40 cars in all. From MGs, Sprite, Fieros, 350Z, couple of Vettes, Challenger, Charger, Maro, Stang (biggest mistake ever) and slew of others. Its addictive I guess!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thats a long list, but the short answer: 96 Z28, 96 Impala SS,
and then 99 GTS. There was maybe 25+ others in between but
none were as "performance" based like these three...

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Solution: Replace vehicle. :)

Haha, that's more or less what I did. The steering wasn't that bad originally, but the control valve leaked so it was power steering with no fluid. Put new seals in the valve and it kept most of the fluid it in for a few years, but started leaking again. Didn't want to drop the cash on a new reman valve, so I did a full rebuild kit the second time around two years ago as well as a pump and assist cylinder rebuild to try to fix all possible leak points. Better, but I just don't drive the car enough so I think the seals still weep a little over time and dry out.

I've always joked that I just bought all my cars at once and will spread out the miles over the years as opposed to driving one into the ground and replacing it. I really need to do a good resto on the Vette some day, and now that I have other cars I can handle it being out of commission for a while during a rebuild, but I don't have the space to do that yet.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corrado/Firehawk/S4/Viper.....all modded. Still have the Firehawk and Viper of course. Small block in Firehawk is where I fell in love with torque.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned lots of fun stuff, but most worth mentioning (apart from the 92 Viper) are the Ariel Atom supercharged and my custom build Mini Hayabusa Turbo (550bhp on 535kg, RWD sequential 6 speed), I'll add some pics, allthough I guess this isn't exactly a light weight board:D

You must be registered for see images

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'Busa Mini is AWESOME! Winner.

I owned lots of fun stuff, but most worth mentioning (apart from the 92 Viper) are the Ariel Atom supercharged and my custom build Mini Hayabusa Turbo (550bhp on 535kg, RWD sequential 6 speed), I'll add some pics, although I guess this isn't exactly a light weight board:D

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see going backwards in time. 2013 Daytona R/T (Still have), 2011 Corvette C6 inferno orange, '08 Torred Charger SRT8 (wish I had never sold this one loved this car), 07 Mustang California Special GT, Volvo C70, Mercedes E320 Sport (bullet proof / great car), Mits 3000GT SL, Ford Explorer, Nissan Sentra SE-R.......

Hope to add a Charger Hellcat here soon enough.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Roy, you win. That is absolutely badass. I want a ride, I'm in Amsterdam in 3 weeks, would LOVE to see it.

You win, respect.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Nsane1: Haha, thanks, all though you are very welcome, the Mini is in Switzerland for hillclimbing races, I sold it 2 years ago....

@DaJerseyViper: it is a Holeshot Racing UK, completely build Suzuki Hayabus GT30-76RS turbo engine. It has 6 boost levels, ranging from about 280bhp to 550bhp on the crank (500 on the wheels)
all details:
http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/images/pdfs/turbo-charging/tbikesbusagen1st3_140207.pdf

The car indeed was a funny little car:D. I mostly drove it on the lowest boost level, because on the 500BHP level...the front wheels came up in the first 4 gears!

It has sold, but luckily we still have some footage:

here some nice footage from the shake down, after rebuilding the engine, the Viper is a coincidence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaWZfm_kzQ

Here I did my first 0-60 test on the lowest boost level, funny, I shifted which wasn't needed and I had lots of wheelsspin..still 3.1:drive: and 270bhp left, so it was pretty fast indeed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0pJfsKo62E

here on the public streets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji18Trj3lKk

this was the initial shakedown after the build, driven by the man who created the car for a rich fella who asked him to build the fastest classic mini on the planet...so he did, his name is Wayne Nightingale (Knight motorsport engineering), pitty the video is just 3 pixels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPVDPjtAAk

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Outstanding......

I would spend all my days getting in trouble with that gem

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dman, Am I reading that right, you had 13 Vipers. If so Holy Cow thats a lot of Vipers.:2tu: